• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long was your hunt?

Huh. That's odd... I just finished typing out two long replies, with multiple quotes, and posted them. But then they just disappeared. I certainly didn't post anything controversial. It said for one second, after I had posted them, that the mods had to okay it/them. Not sure what happened. Mods, please advise?

In case those posts are gone forever, I just wanted to thank everyone for replying and sharing their stories. I had some follow-up questions, but they're gone now. Really not sure what happened. :-(

Yea i even got the notification for you quoting... odd :confused:

Took 2 years to find the ideal one. After countless leads and a couple thousand mile road trips I found mine off of Ebay.

Took 2 years to find the ideal one. After countless leads and a couple thousand mile road trips I found mine off of Ebay.

Yikes. Happy to hear you found a nice one, but your story is not one I wish to experience myself. Congrats on the result, though. :) Maybe our circumstances are a bit different, though. Sounds like you were looking for a mint car?

I already have my modern mint condition fun car, so this time I'm looking for an older one I can work on a bit myself, to bring back to top shape. Not looking for a beater, but I'm not afraid to use up some of this extra, stored up, elbow grease. ;)

Last edited:
Yikes. Happy to hear you found a nice one, but your story is not one I wish to experience myself. Maybe our circumstances are a bit different, though. Sounds like you were looking for a mint car?

I already have my modern, mint condition "dream car," and so this time I'm looking for one I can work on a bit myself, to bring back to top shape. Not looking for a beater, but I'm not afraid to use up some of this extra, stored up, elbow grease. ;)

Yea I was looking for one in decent shape and unmolested, mind you this was back in 2004 so there were plenty to go around. Now unfortunately not so much. =/

Yea I was looking for one in decent shape and unmolested, mind you this was back in 2004 so there were plenty to go around. Now unfortunately not so much. =/

Yeah, from what I've seen so far, they're getting thin on the ground now. Thanks for the insight. That yellow one that popped up here recently was nice, and priced right, but I am looking for anything but yellow. Beautiful color, but not for me. Hoping it doesn't take two years for something similar, in a color I want, to come around. ;)

Last edited:
Huh. That's odd... I just finished typing out two long replies, with multiple quotes, and posted them. But then they just disappeared. I certainly didn't post anything controversial. It said for one second, after I had posted them, that the mods had to okay it/them. Not sure what happened. Mods, please advise?

In case those posts are gone forever, I just wanted to thank everyone for replying and sharing their stories. I had some follow-up questions, but they're gone now. Really not sure what happened. :-(

I think I saw your reply and I was about to quote it and reply...LOL
Didn't you say that you miss the city and that I probably scrape everywhere.

Yes, I do scrape. I have to even know which gas stations I can drive into :eek:, but I keep at least 2 new bumper lips on hand :biggrin:

03 raw nsx

I think I saw your reply and I was about to quote it and reply...LOL
Didn't you say that you miss the city and that I probably scrape everywhere.

Yes, I do scrape. I have to even know which gas stations I can drive into :eek:, but I keep at least 2 new bumper lips on hand :biggrin:

03 raw nsx

Yeah. Photographic memory? ;) Yeah, when I lived in the city, I just had a BMW and Audi and even those would scrape. I was scraping everywhere recently in my 911. I'd imagine the NSX is even lower. I test drove one recently, and it was definitely lower than my Porsches, even at stock ride height. Just need to have a mental catalog of all the approaches, I guess! I really miss living there. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
2 years ... 5-6 flights and trips. Spent at least 3-4k just looking for the right 1992 GPW Coupe for NA2 NSXR conversion and I really wanted the first year of GPW.

My second 97 GPW took 1 minute .... saw it outside a diner, walked in yelled "who owns the NSX" made a deal on the spot and bought it the next day.

I kept the 92 GPW Coupe. 10 years later still loving it more and more.

Last edited:
About a year of hard searching for my GPW - autotrader, cars.com, craigslist (via searchtempst), ebay, and nsxprime were the first sites that would pop up every time I started my browser. LOL.

I picked mine up about 3 months ago but it was mostly by luck and chance. I knew my next "toy" car would be an NSX but with prices going up, I had no idea when I would seriously consider buying one. I've talked about this with my wife for a while, never really thinking she'd be serious to let me buy one(I was 26 and she was 21 and we got married just a few months before picking it up). I frequently go to a local car meet and have met some cool new people there and we always just talk about cars. Talking with a group of the regulars, someone asked what car I'd want next. Mentioned an NSX and one of the guys said "I have one, for sale..". Asked him the details and price just out of curiosity, didn't think I would actually do anything. Everything sounded right. Went home, talked to my wife, did some research, made sure I could make it happen and got the okay from wifey. Went to check it out with a friend, came home with it a couple weeks later. All this while the car was literally less than 10mins away from my house. I'm enjoying every bit of it and look forward to a lot of good times and racing with it to come.

My second 97 GPsW took 1 minute .... saw it outside a diner, walked in yelled "who owns the NSX" made a deal on the spot and bought it the next day.

That's awesome. I respect the boldness of the method. Nice job. ;)

lol, im a member since 2007 and just got mine in august of last year =p

jk i was actively searching in 2014 so about a year to find mine.

Ha, that would've been one hell of a search. Glad to hear it took less time. A year, though is still such a long time. I want one, now.

About a year of hard searching for my GPW - autotrader, cars.com, craigslist (via searchtempst), ebay, and nsxprime were the first sites that would pop up every time I started my browser. LOL.

Yeah, I've been searching so much, it feels funny to visit my regular sites now. Haha. Damn. I want a white one. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I picked mine up about 3 months ago but it was mostly by luck and chance. I knew my next "toy" car would be an NSX but with prices going up, I had no idea when I would seriously consider buying one. I've talked about this with my wife for a while, never really thinking she'd be serious to let me buy one(I was 26 and she was 21 and we got married just a few months before picking it up). I frequently go to a local car meet and have met some cool new people there and we always just talk about cars. Talking with a group of the regulars, someone asked what car I'd want next. Mentioned an NSX and one of the guys said "I have one, for sale..". Asked him the details and price just out of curiosity, didn't think I would actually do anything. Everything sounded right. Went home, talked to my wife, did some research, made sure I could make it happen and got the okay from wifey. Went to check it out with a friend, came home with it a couple weeks later. All this while the car was literally less than 10mins away from my house. I'm enjoying every bit of it and look forward to a lot of good times and racing with it to come.

Great story. Congrats on both the car and the marriage. :)

Buddy sent me a link to a Jalopnik article one morning. Looked at the article and CL add, gave the guy a call, checked the carfax, test drove it, agreed to a price, shook hands, had it in my possesion two days later. I guess I wasn't really searching for one more so this fell in my lap, total time. 5 days. :biggrin:

About a 2 months. I wasn't having much success and was settling in for a long search, and prepared to fly anywhere in the country at a moments notice. I wasn't necessarily looking for a specific color, but having had experience with maintaining several black cars in the past I wanted to stay away from black; however, I was looking for an NA1. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I found a car located in Lakeland, FL on 12/24/14 in carsforsale.com almost immediately after it was posted, and the owner was not on any of the social media sites so the posting had not made its way around the internet. The car was only located about a 2 hr drive north from me, but unfortunately I was on vacation for the Holidays in Maryland. I was also competing against one other guy who had found the car before I did. I had to keep my fingers crossed that the car was still going to be available when I returned on 12/31. It just so happened that I found a car in my most favorite color combination Red/Black with Ivory interior (only 400 made), and lightly modded. On 01/01/15 finally got to see the car. My competition was located in NC, but spent too much time trying to negotiate with the seller, so the seller decided to sell it to me a few days later. 0n 02/14/15 the sale was finalized and I trailered the car home. The other thing that kept this car off the radar was that when it had been sold in 2001 the new owner kept it in a storage container for 14 years, and until he sold to the owner in Lakeland.

Last edited:
Buddy sent me a link to a Jalopnik article one morning. Looked at the article and CL add, gave the guy a call, checked the carfax, test drove it, agreed to a price, shook hands, had it in my possesion two days later. I guess I wasn't really searching for one more so this fell in my lap, total time. 5 days. :biggrin:

Very cool. I'll have to read up on that. Congrats. ;)

About a 2 months. I wasn't having much success and was settling in for a long search, and prepared to fly anywhere in the country at a moments notice. I wasn't necessarily looking for a specific color, but having had experience with maintaining several black cars in the past I wanted to stay away from black; however, I was looking for an NA1. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I found a car located in Lakeland, FL on 12/24/14 in carsforsale.com almost immediately after it was posted, and the owner was not on any of the social media sites so the posting had not made its way around the internet. The car was only located about a 2 hr drive north from me, but unfortunately I was on vacation for the Holidays in Maryland. I was also competing against one other guy who had found the car before I did. I had to keep my fingers crossed that the car was still going to be available when I returned on 12/31. It just so happened that I found a car in my most favorite color combination Red/Black with Ivory interior (only 400 made), and lightly modded. On 01/01/15 finally got to see the car. My competition was located in NC, but spent too much time trying to negotiate with the seller, so the seller decided to sell it to me a few days later. 0n 02/14/15 the sale was finalized and I trailered the car home. The other thing that kept this car off the radar was that when it had been sold in 2001 the new owner kept it in a storage container for 14 years, and until he sold to the owner in Lakeland.

Sounds like the car is better off in your hands now. 14 years without being driven? Such a shame. Good for you, though! :)

Last edited:
Mine was a half hour. I had been researching NSXs with no intent to buy since June '14 in preparation for purchasing one when I paid off my house in the spring of '15. I was 2 months away from that point in mid-March when my financial advisor, who's done this himself (not an NSX) told me I should start looking now because most people put their toys out for sale in the early spring and the good ones go quickly. That afternoon I got on Prime and saw some new listings in the for sale forum that weren't there when I last checked around Christmas.

After a half hour of looking/reading, a few were interesting but Honcho's really jumped out at me. PM'd him, he called back right after, we talked for a half hour and had a deal. The car was so well maintained and documented here on Prime I didn't need a PPI. We just did all the financial stuff by email, wired the money and shipped the car. Two weeks later it was in my driveway.

Mine was a half hour. I had been researching NSXs with no intent to buy since June '14 in preparation for purchasing one when I paid off my house in the spring of '15. I was 2 months away from that point in mid-March when my financial advisor, who's done this himself (not an NSX) told me I should start looking now because most people put their toys out for sale in the early spring and the good ones go quickly. That afternoon I got on Prime and saw some new listings in the for sale forum that weren't there when I last checked around Christmas.

After a half hour of looking/reading, a few were interesting but Honcho's really jumped out at me. PM'd him, he called back right after, we talked for a half hour and had a deal. The car was so well maintained and documented here on Prime I didn't need a PPI. We just did all the financial stuff by email, wired the money and shipped the car. Two weeks later it was in my driveway.

Nice!

How did you do all the financial and title stuff by email? What steps did you guys take to ensure seller got his funds and the buyer got his car and title?

Nice!

How did you do all the financial and title stuff by email? What steps did you guys take to ensure seller got his funds and the buyer got his car and title?

First, understand that Honcho is a long-term, well-respected member and contributor here on Prime, so there was implicit trust just based on that. I did due diligence research outside of Prime and concluded I had nothing to worry about where he was concerned. He's an attorney so he wrote up a simple plain English deposit agreement, emailed it to me, I printed it, signed it, scanned it, and emailed it back. We did the same for the bill of sale. I wired him the money (PayPal for the deposit, direct wire transfer for the balance), and when he confirmed receipt of the funds, he signed the title over and FedEx'd it to me. Two days later I took the title to an instant tag place and walked out with my tag and registration. Shipping took 2 weeks to find a shipper and schedule a truck.

The key thing here was the trust of dealing with a known, respected member of this community, the finest such community I've ever been a part of. Sure, there was a point in time where he had all my money, the title, and the car :eek:. I had signed contracts, but they would only be helpful if I actually went to court to enforce the sale. And I certainly had my moments of asking myself if I was effin' crazy. But all the signs were pointing in the right direction and I just trusted my gut and went with it. Ended up with a great car and a new friend. We communicate regularly and he's helping me with his knowledge of NSXs and this car in particular. We say it's like we're co-parenting a kid :smile:. Here's some pix in the first post of this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/188511-Pix!!?p=1843664#post1843664

Bit of advice: Buy on Prime from a Prime member if you can. It eliminates a lot of worries.

Took me about a year to find my NA2 Coupe. Came VERY close to another Kaiser 1999 Targa that luckily fell through since the coupe materialized literally 2 weeks later and after I had given up hope of finding one!
Are you dyslxeic by any chance? If so I might offer you $81,000 and then hope you don't notice the check saying $18,000.

it took me 1.5 years to find my first NSX, a '96 NSX-T with a 5-speed. it was red/tan, stock, with 41,000 miles. i specifically wanted a red/tan to match my red Ducati motorcycles, but i always preferred the red anyways, and never liked a black interior in any car. i wanted a lift roof and the assisted steering also.

the car came up for sale in Denver/Boulder, CO and the same day had 4 inquiries on it. i flew there the next day on my one day off from working in Atlanta and had it PPIed and drove it through the Rocky Mountains for about a two hour test drive. it was on consignment at Flatirons Acura and the salesman attached to the car was given to me for the entire day. he was quite amused when i turned up the pace ad started sliding the back around a bit. great bloke, his comment when i asked him if he minded me testing it out a bit was "i can't drive the car like this, but obviously you can"!

i'd never been to Colorado before, so when we agreed on a sale price (that afternoon) i flew back to Atlanta to finish working for a few weeks. they kept the car for me in the back of the dealership and then i came back and drove it through the mountains for a week. GoPro documentation here:

https://youtu.be/Cvla7uiCWIw

bought my second NSX, a 2002 Imola also near Denver, CO. a 6-speed manual, all stock as well. i was looking for about 6 to 8 months for another red/tan, a 2002 or newer as i prefer the latest body style personally. after not being able to find one for over six months i started to think about an Audi R8 V8 manual, a Ferrari 360 manual, and also a Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo. a Primer gave me a tip on the Imola, and i spoke to the owner over the phone. 4 people had already seen the car, but no one had yet come up with the cash. quite honestly, i wasn't sure if i'd like the colour. it seemed pretty bright, and i'm a fairly low key guy. any NSX draws some attention regardless, but some colours are definitely louder than others. once i saw the car in person i was cool with it however.

Chris at Flatirons Acura PPIed this car also, and i bought it. pretty happy to have such a rare colour now. this one is a keeper...

You're selling right? I was going to offer more than asking and then try to get it for way less. Well I worked way too hard to try to make a joke there but I hoped to help your selling marketing. :)

You're selling right? I was going to offer more than asking and then try to get it for way less. Well I worked way too hard to try to make a joke there but I hoped to help your selling marketing. :)
Totally over my head.:rolleyes:
And yes, I'd take 81 and check that check twice

It took me about two years on and off to find the first NSX. I bought a one owner 91 with 70K miles and 5 speed. It got totaled two years later. When I finally decided to search for another, I found a Midnight Pearl with CTSC that I thought I liked. But, when I logged back on Prime to get contact info on the Midnight Pearl, I noticed that an Imola had just posted a few minutes earlier. I knew that they were rare and sold rather quickly. Now, I wasn't sure I'd like the orange interior but, I made an offer on it anyway. Three days later I was driving it home from the east coast. Both cars were bought on Prime and had others interested but, I had cash and was ready to close the deals within 48 hours. Both cars had complete maintenance records and all service was up to date. I drove both cars cross country to Texas.

Attachments

• 11356892_1627333357479407_837952321_n.jpg
    11356892_1627333357479407_837952321_n.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 31
  • P1020787.jpg
    P1020787.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
My hunt lasted 3 long years... ( I'm from Belgium ). I searched the whole Europe for about 30 months... I was after a 2000-2001 Targa NA2 ( with C32B + 6 speed manual ) with the latest uprades on the pop-up headlights version !
Also, I wanted a black interior... ( I do really hate all other interior colors... ). Low mileage preferred... So after 30 months giving zero results... I started to look for one in USA and Canada... And that's finaly in California that I found my holy grail, my unicorn... after another 6 months of research ! I started the import procedure 2 months ago... Car will be delivered at my place... Next week !!!!!!!!!!!! The end of a 3 years long quest... I'm done...
Owning the exact model of NSX you want in Europe is a real long and hard fight... You really have to fight to deserve the right to own one... But there's nothing I regret in all the time I invested in that long quest... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is my ray of sun... :cool:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Back