• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long will NSX lasts?

For other NSXers out there whos like me , decided to forget about mileage and keep the car forever...

How long will a NSX last? as Daily driver who do not race?

The most high mileage car I've ever seen is 178k on a beaten volvo

What do you expect to have on the odometer when the NSX will be totally dead. ( engine ) and cannot run anymore.?

My next door neighbor sold his Honda Accord ('87 I think) to my neighbor on the other side of me about 10 months ago. Don't know what the price was but I do know the Accord had 310,000 miles on it.

Original motor and the head had never been off the block. I didn't use oil (dripped or burned). If this is any indication of what a run of the mill Honda motor can do, just think what a precision built - hand assembled motor will do!

By the way, my neighbor who owned the Accord was a Honda mechanic for 14 years and has since retired.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Stock as a rock - #0030

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
For other NSXers out there whos like me , decided to forget about mileage and keep the car forever...

How long will a NSX last? as Daily driver who do not race?

What do you expect to have on the odometer when the NSX will be totally dead. ( engine ) and cannot run anymore.?

I am quite certain I recall several people on this board alone that have had NSX mileage up over 150K, if not 200K.

Are those cars still going strong?

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 13 August 2002).]

I am aware of at least two owners - Todd B. in California and one in Arizona - who have well over 200K on their NSXs, and AFAIK they are still putting lots of miles on them.

I have a friend here in Phoenix who has over 260k on his NSX

No kidding!

The 92 NSX I just bought only has 32k on it. It's good to know that NSX will last that long. I am planning to keep my NSX for many years:)

[This message has been edited by cbr600 (edited 14 August 2002).]

A 2nd generation Acura Legend that was used as a taxi ran 500k+ miles. I believe some Acura dealer bought it and it's on display as to how reliable their cars are.
Expect nothing less than 200k for the NSX !

wow... nice to hear that NSX could last that long..

Just wondering .. for those NSX over 100k
does the engine still pushes the car strong like average mileage car?

I just got into 70k on highway from NY to Boston last night.. kinda hurts when the odometer ticked into "70000"

sigh..

Just have my own NSX for about 3.5 months and have clocked about 11000 km (6800 miles). Started out with 41000 and it already hurt when I passed 50K km.
But then again, I have been unable to force myself to stop driving the car so much ;-)
To keep better track, I have created a sheet in which I keep track of all the start and end-mileage for every month of both cars I own.

question:

if the engine is dead due to whatever..
is it possible to get a new engine from dealer?

or if got it from a wrecked car.. will there be engine # problem or Vin problem?

Originally posted by sc5spd:
A 2nd generation Acura Legend that was used as a taxi ran 500k+ miles.

He's in my area. I rode that taxi to the airport on my way to NSXPO '99. True story.

Originally posted by aaronb:
One of the guys here in Dallas has over 190K on his.

If you're referring to Brent, I believe he replaced his engine not too long ago. I think the original was actually running fine; I think he just found a deal on one with 30K miles, so he went for it.

"Whatever" is not likely to happen to an engine that's well maintained, with frequent oil changes.

Yes, for around $18,000.

or if got it from a wrecked car.. will there be engine # problem or Vin problem?

No. When an engine is replaced, it's not necessarily a bad thing; just let the prospective buyer know, though.

That 500,000 mile Legend is at Acura of Libertyville, I just saw it the other day when they were changing my oil. They also have an 03 in the new blue color that is SOOOOOOOO sweet. If it didn't have a navy blue interior I probably would have tried to get some numbers on it
smile.gif

Aaron

of course it's a true story, why would i lie on a thing like that
wink.gif

also, i'd expect a honda engine to be the LAST thing to go. if you did regular oil mainentance, it will LAST. It's everything else in the car that will go first. The transmission would go long before the engine will - especially on automatics.

Nice to know there wont be a conflict to the Vin or engine #.

When the engine is replaced. you continue the odometer or reset it?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
No. When an engine is replaced, it's not necessarily a bad thing; just let the prospective buyer know, though.

You obviously haven't seen this volvo...
wink.gif

http://www.cabinnaise.com/vpage/irv.htm
http://www.vcoa.org/irv_o_meter.shtml

Just wondering .. for those NSX over 100k
does the engine still pushes the car strong like average mileage car?

My 91 shortly after I bought it was dyno'd at 243rwhp, with 125kmi. This seems to be on the high side of the average power for early cars. I wouldn't really consider that high mileage for a Honda, though!
smile.gif

I think there are two kinds of people who would buy an NSX. One who intends to drive it, would not care if the engine has been replaced. One who is more of a collector, would want an all-original car. But they'd also be looking for one with low miles, not 100K+.

[This message has been edited by Sketch (edited 14 August 2002).]

The other unique thing, IMO, about Brent's NSX with 180k+ miles, was that he was running a substantial nitrous shot for a good portion of that time, and he used it liberally.

If an engine with a 100shot (for example) of N20 can go 180k+ miles, then I think a stock NSX driven conservatively should be just fine.
biggrin.gif

brent_forum.gif

I don't think it was the 190,000 miles or the NOS that made him decide to change engines as much as the last few miles with this monster:

brent-gm.jpg

From what he told me, the SC was making his old engine burn alot of oil, so he got a nice 30K mile salvage from ERZ or somewhere rather than have the downtime or expense of doing a major overhaul on his old engine. He even got a few grand on EBAY for his 190K engine!

[This message has been edited by aaronb (edited 18 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by aaronb (edited 19 August 2002).]

Hey Aaron!! I crack up every time I see my reflection in Brent's window. I look like a little kid eyeing candy in a store window!!!

[This message has been edited by humanoidtyphoon (edited 14 August 2002).]

I see.. I always thought that the ENgine # and the cars VIN# are somewhat connected... might have trouble explaining if got a engine swap.

A nos engine with 190k is really a wow.. I always thought that a NOSed engine or SCed engine will not last really long.. unless he drives 10k per day..=P which is not possible..

Just curious.. whats the rear view visibility with that monsterous SC at the bacK?

Back