• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many aviators do we have?

PPL, 1985

Viper Driver, just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the 30 degree reclining seat angle? Does it really help increase G-tolerance for you guys that much?

Sorry for the off topic...:smile:

Where I spend my 14 hour days:biggrin:

0952257.jpg

0068464.jpg

Last edited:
Briank said:
Just started should have 4.8 hours by the end of the week.
Solo is just around the bend! Hooked yet?

PPL 1979. Started flying again in 05. 1H0 is two miles from my house.

KGP said:
1H0 is two miles from my house.
1H0! I remember in my early flying days, almost thirty years ago, flying in a C-150 from SPI to SUS for dinner (a distance of around a hundred miles), and it took me two hours to get there, due to strong headwinds. I could have easily driven it in less time...

I've got an '05... heated/cooled seats, wood package, chrome wheels. Drives much nicer than the bulky Navigator too!

Oh... you meant planes:redface:

I've got a few hours logged in my dad's Grumman Tiger... It's set up real well. He got it from a guy in Wisconsin a couple of years ago! I'd like to get my PPL, but time is the big crunch right now... maybe I'll do a discovery flight soon.

Re: Any experienced skydivers (over 500 jumps)?

If so, what kind are you? Lawn dart, skysurfer belly flyer, CRW, Tandem pilot? (Base jumpers don't count).

nsxtasy said:
There is quite a high correlation between NSX ownership and pilot experience.
It's a sickness. Something to do with pushing the envelope.:smile:

Ken, I learned at SUS. I happen to have my old log in my office, and was just checking back in it; Almost to the day (2/20/79), 27 years ago, I made my first solo from SUS @ 8.1 hours. WTH was I thinking?!:eek:

rowr said:
Viper Driver, just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the 30 degree reclining seat angle? Does it really help increase G-tolerance for you guys that much?

They tell us it gives us about another "G" due to the reclining seat angle, because it slightly decreases the distance vertically between the heart and the brain. Given that no two pilots are exactly the same physiologically, that is just one of many factors that contribute to overall g-tolerance. Above about 6 g's, equipment takes a back seat to the "Anti-G Straining Maneuver" (AGSM) that we practice every time we fly.

General Dynamics advertised the 30-degree seat angle as a feature that increased pilots' tolerance to G's, but what they don't tell you is that this was the only way that the seat would fit in the airplane. If you look at the plane from the side, you can tell that the seat would probably not fit if they put it in vertically.

Personally, I like the seat being leaned back, but not because of the g-tolerance. The ergonomics of the plane are outstanding, with the controls being placed right where your hands would fall if you relaxed your arms on either side of your body. Quite frankly, it's the most comfortable fighter in the world to fly. I liken it to sitting in a La-Z-Boy in front of the television with a beverage in my right hand (the stick) and the remote control (the throttle) in the other.

Chuck :smile:

IsR said:
Bought a plane but no lessons yet?! Anyway flying small plane would be a blast, cross country nav, land away- excellent :cool:

No choice!! No rental planes at the airport, just a CFI. In a town of only 6,500 people, and 2 hours drive from medium size airport, that's all you can do. So, if I want to learn, I have to pay to play. I have plans to make the 180 available as a rental after I get my license and then get me something bigger and nicer. :smile:

Viper Driver said:
They tell us it gives us about another "G" due to the reclining seat angle, because it slightly decreases the distance vertically between the heart and the brain. Given that no two pilots are exactly the same physiologically, that is just one of many factors that contribute to overall g-tolerance. Above about 6 g's, equipment takes a back seat to the "Anti-G Straining Maneuver" (AGSM) that we practice every time we fly.

General Dynamics advertised the 30-degree seat angle as a feature that increased pilots' tolerance to G's, but what they don't tell you is that this was the only way that the seat would fit in the airplane. If you look at the plane from the side, you can tell that the seat would probably not fit if they put it in vertically.

Personally, I like the seat being leaned back, but not because of the g-tolerance. The ergonomics of the plane are outstanding, with the controls being placed right where your hands would fall if you relaxed your arms on either side of your body. Quite frankly, it's the most comfortable fighter in the world to fly. I liken it to sitting in a La-Z-Boy in front of the television with a beverage in my right hand (the stick) and the remote control (the throttle) in the other.

Chuck,

Thanks for the insight..I always wondered whether it was a General Dynamics selling/design point or if it had real life validity, since no one else seemed to copy the feature (Flankers or Fulcrums)

All I can say is that's one neat La-Z-Boy you get to drive there! :biggrin:

This is the forward view out of my C172N rental hoopty 4000ft above western PA. The aircraft lost the engine in flight 4 weeks later thanks to the *$&$&#^#^ mechanic that insisted the oil leak I complained about 5 times was no issue. That's why my first airplane purchase will be a kit build...I don't trust anything I don't repair and maintain myself.

EFPDH-000_0011.JPG

VXGXQ-000_0012.JPG

It's going to be the Glasair SII RG....proven design, all composite, rated to 6+g's positive or.....

http://www.teamtango.com/

Not a proven design but cheaper and good speed while being a fixed gear aircraft. That translates to less build time and cheaper insurance so.....we'll see.

KGP said:
Solo is just around the bend! Hooked yet?

I don't know why I waited so long to start flying, just filled up the first page of my log book for 8.0 hours. Hope the weather holds so I can fly tomorrow :biggrin: Just need a Comtech SC kit in the Cessna so I can get into Class A air space oh and a IFR.

Last edited:
T-2, Ta-4, T-39, T-47, F-18, F-14, Mc1-1b, T-10

Briank said:
I don't know why I waited so long to start flying, just filled up the first page of my log book for 8.0 hours. Hope the weather holds so I can fly tomorrow :biggrin: Just need a Comtech SC kit in the Cessna so I can get into Class A air space oh and a IFR.
Figure it out!

Lately I've been seeing some reference in the threads to flying. How many members do we have that have civilian, military or commercial flying? I had 20 years flying jets in the Navy and 10 years commercial. Fast cars, fast bikes, fast planes and fast ......

Do RIOs count?

They tell us it gives us about another "G" due to the reclining seat angle, because it slightly decreases the distance vertically between the heart and the brain.

REAL MEN take G's sittin' up straight! :)

Just Kidding, I fought F-16Ns (stripped, big engines) and they were eye-watering!!!

I was an aviation major in college. Had my ppl. Then after 9/11 the whole industry tanked. My flight instructor had a father who was a captain for US AIR. HE couldn't get a job, so I figured what chance did I have? I changed my major back to Public Relations and have been a little miffed about it ever since. Sometimes I think about getting them renewed and going up again.... and part of me doesn't feel like spending the time or money to take on yet another dangerous hobby. I already drive an NSX, I hunt, I'm into firearms, I ride a turbo aquatrax, a 900RR, 1000RR and an RC-51. Right now I think I have enough fast stuff to keep me busy here on the ground. But every now and then..... on that perfect day.... I'll look up and think, this would be a damn good day to go flying.

Back