• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many aviators do we have?

OK, I'll bite...Had no idea there were this many pilots here...

commercial pilot single & multi-engine land, instrument airplane. single engine sea, also flew the wings off an Eipper MX ultralite way back when, probably the most fun flying I ever did. Also co-built an amphib experimental, Had a fuel leak misting inside the cockpit of a twin commander at high pressure w/hot avionics near by, had total hydrolic failure twice, flew thru enough freezing rain turned ice to make my tighty whitey's browny and on and on and on...still alive, there truly must be a God.

2000+ hours flying a lot of on demand part 135 freight & still alive to tell u guys I did it.

PS buying an old, complex, high performance Aero Commander all by yourself is NOT for the faint of heart!

A friend once told me 2 things to have aboard...a bottle of whyskey & roll of toilet paper, cause sooner or later yur gonna need one or the other :eek:

Anyone thinking of doing this please PM me 1st, I can & will help :cool:

few more pics & vids, yup, die hard Commander/Hoover nut here :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBcapxGHjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPyM2PJcFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeDdTBQlgIg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak2j5wxnQqM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkefJlVez_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP3mK8mfVGw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoover

Hope u aviotion guys enjoyed these, I had a rare chance to pop my head inside Bob's Shrike Commander via the only man he ever let maintain it, & a good friend of mine, Bob's Shrike Commander now sits proudly in the Smithsonian institute just under the wing of the SST(Super Sonic Transport).

Attachments

• IMG_0972_3.jpg
    IMG_0972_3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14
  • aero-commander-small.jpg
    aero-commander-small.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 71864637_M2PjAVrN.jpg
    71864637_M2PjAVrN.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
currently I'm flying the DA20 :biggrin:
10031.jpg

I'll be flying the PA34 for my Multi IFR training :)
large-piper-pa34-seneca.jpg

Last edited:
Seneca nice looking plane, never really liked it, why? felt like u always had to have way more power into it to just make it fly nice...nice plane non the less...

Just had a random thought...Bob Hoover is to aviation what Ayrton Senna is to Formula One...they Both are Legends. :rolleyes:

Just updated my logbook last night....

6812 hrs. 3842 PIC in the CL65 (Canadair Regional Jet). Start downgrade training again in Jan to go back to the CRJ700/900. Can't wait, as I will be the most Sr First Officer and plan to bid reserve - so maybe I will have to work one or two days a month. :wink:

Now my philosophy is "any pilot can fly an airplane, it takes a really good pilot to get out flying an airplane."

Last edited:
field of dreams... my bird
113789.jpg

I got my PPL ASEL in 3 months back in '95. I was 10 hours from the IFR check ride when law school classes started up again. Then fatherhood. I've hardly been up since then.

Yesterday I played golf at a course right next to a small private airport. Planes everywhere non-stop. Makes me want to get airborne again. Lately, I've been telling my 8 year old to drop hints to mom that he'd like to go flying.

If you're going to get a PPL, at least get the IFR rating also as it will make you a MUCH safer pilot and lower your insurance rates.

David

Currently flying a Diamond Eclipse DA-20 and Diamond Star DA-40, preparing for my IFR checkride. I'm a little short on the Cross-Country time so my buddy (Lufthansa Pilot) and I got a couple hours in last night.

The headwind was so bad on the return that cars were passing us on the highway - but our airspeed was great! :smile:

IsR,

Thanks, but none of it is mine anymore...3 + years was quite enough :eek:

After everything I still love it all, IMO only (2) kinds of pilot's, those on the ground wishing they were in the sky & those in the sky wishing they were on the ground.

Jacksfastnsx,

That's a very nice hanger pictures you got there!:cool:

Last edited:
DA 40 isn't that Diamonds Twin deisel?

If so please share what u think about it, never thought they would put a turbo-deisel in a Twin...

Currently flying a Diamond Eclipse DA-20 and Diamond Star DA-40, preparing for my IFR checkride. I'm a little short on the Cross-Country time so my buddy (Lufthansa Pilot) and I got a couple hours in last night.

The headwind was so bad on the return that cars were passing us on the highway - but our airspeed was great! :smile:

pa28-140, built 1966....
nutin' fancy, but it gets me up there:biggrin:

happy landing on van sant, or rwy 26
at kphl... vfr birdy,it cheeps..

Jacks - we need to go flying sometime!

I have about 400 hours. Private, Instrument SEL. I haven't logged an hour in about 10 years!

Love the DA-20 - cramps my feet bad though, even with the rudders pushed all the way back, and I'm only 6 feet. Same problem with the Diamond Star. Fun for an hour of sight seeing and pattern practice, any longer and I can't walk when I get out.

Took a ride in a Seneca in southern Australia a few months ago. Neat plane, first time I've gone above 9,000 feet.

currently I'm flying the DA20 :biggrin:
10031.jpg

I'll be flying the PA34 for my Multi IFR training :)
large-piper-pa34-seneca.jpg

Throw me on that list too, I'm GUILTY. Currently, I STILL HAVE A FLYING JOB. No lay offs when you fly AH-64A Apache Helicopters (for the past 17 years).

I did grow up in the civil aviation world flying fixed wing aircraft, private pilot back in 1974. Hang Gliders, tail-draggers, ultra-lights, gyro-copters to King Airs.

Probably the most challenging is my part-time summer job doing relief for a helicopter operator on a Helitack contract in Casper, Wyoming. Moving stuff and waterbuckets on 50' to 150' long lines is a hoot. These pictures are all a 50' line and a "Bambi Bucket".
Brad

Attachments

• P8100007.JPG
    P8100007.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 17
  • P8100006.JPG
    P8100006.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P8100008.JPG
    P8100008.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
FYI -- for those Good folks who are interested in getting flight time, but can't for whatever reason do it au naturale, Burlington Aviation (near Raleigh-Durham, NC) just purchased a new flight simulator. It's awesome!

See below:

Again in keeping with our policy not to bug you by email, this is to announce some VERY EXCITING NEWS!

On October 1, 2009, Burlington Aviation will take delivery of a Redbird FMX Flight Simulator. This is a FULL-MOTION, FULLY ENCLOSED flight simulator which will qualify under the FAR's in every way as time you can log. The Redbird is capable of simulating virtually ANY weather or wind condition, as well as day, night, and long cross country flights. It can also simulate virtually any flight maneuver with the feeling you would expect in the real thing.

Initially, the Redbird will be available to simulate the Cessna 172 G1000 aircraft. We may also have a Baron available as well, either immediately or in the near term. Due to the innovative design of the simulator, changing aircraft takes less than 5 minutes.

You can see more about the Redbird FMX Flight Simulator, including a video, at www.redbirdflightsimulations.com

As an example, this is ideal for "Pinch Hitter" courses for passengers who fly with you regularly, but who may be reluctant to learn in a real plane. You can still fly VFR when the real weather is poor or get started on your instrument rating. Get your IFR required approaches completed and get current again.

The Redbird is now available for scheduling, just as an aircraft would be, online. The first available date on the schedule is October 7. The simulator will be located in new space on Troxler Road. The location is visible from our present parking lot.

The cost will be $80 per hour plus your instructor. Initially, an instructor will be required.

We have flown the Redbird and it's AMAZING! Hurry and get on the schedule.

:smile:

Back