• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many Primers put Christmas lights up?

This Friday I will continue the tradition of putting up Christmas lights. I'm no Clark Griswold; but, I was wondering how many of my fellow Primates decorate their homes for the holidays. And to what extent?

Christmas lights.jpg

This was taken in 2008 when we had an usual amount of snow. Most years the skies are gray and the yard is green and soggy.

I would much rather risk my neck on a wet ladder than deal with the Black Friday crowds.

Matt

Very nice Matt! I'm too lazy to put up Christmas lights. :(

P.S., I have family in Beaverton, OR. I'll stop by to check out your house/NSX the next time I visit. :D

Nice MDX! I put lights up every year. Nothing fancy and not willingly, but I put them up. If you can't get ahold of me tomorrow morning, I'm on the roof. If you can't get ahold of me after that, I fell off and I'm in the hospital.

For years i did the best i could but to take it to another level of roof edge illumination I use a pro .....My wife won't let me go on the roof 30 ft up:redface:

For years i did the best i could but to take it to another level of roof edge illumination I use a pro .....My wife won't let me go on the roof 30 ft up:redface:

My neighbor does that. He hired a guy a few years ago to do them. He cut the lights to his exact design for his house. A crew comes to put them up and then take them down. He stores them in bins in his basement until the next year when they come to install them again. I don't know the cost, but this same guy also pays landscapers to take care of his yard which is a .10 acre lot.

Nice MDX! I put lights up every year. Nothing fancy and not willingly, but I put them up. If you can't get ahold of me tomorrow morning, I'm on the roof. If you can't get ahold of me after that, I fell off and I'm in the hospital.

Be careful up there!

Thanks, the MDX did great in the snow. It's good to have two apex predators in the garage.

I installed hooks on the wood trim over my garage which allow me to string those lights while on a 6' ladder. No way I would get up on a wet, wood shake roof with that kind of pitch.

My neighbor does that. He hired a guy a few years ago to do them. He cut the lights to his exact design for his house. A crew comes to put them up and then take them down. He stores them in bins in his basement until the next year when they come to install them again. I don't know the cost, but this same guy also pays landscapers to take care of his yard which is a .10 acre lot.

Its not uncommon...our guy designed and built the strands and stores them.The bulbs are rather large, leds I think #9 if that makes any sense.

I put my lights up on one of the last warm days before December. But don't turn them on until dec 1. We use the icicle lights. I hate them. I have to replace at least 2 sets a year because 1/2 if the strand doesn't work. /rant.

Last edited:
No outside lights, just put up a big tree, but probably not as big as pictured above... :biggrin:

DSC08331.jpg

Last edited:
I won't have any decorations or a tree this year. Just sold the house and the new one being built won't be done until 12/20.

So, I'll contribute a picture of my tree from 2011. :)

373792_10150390609598014_1081264565_n.jpg

In my tribe those are known as Hanukkah Bushes. :)

lol...chinese food and a movie for you that night.:biggrin:

Christmas is my favorite holiday and last year I missed out due to moving (living out of a hotel) and a change in jobs. So this year I will be imparting my enthusiasm for this holiday onto my 2 month old son by decorating our new Chicago home for the first time. I can hardly wait to get started! I love Christmas!:D

wanna do this outside...

I've wanted to do this outside (a few large elms & oaks out front; more large oaks, peach trees, and loquats out back):

Pedernales Electric Coop...

I did this to one tree one year. Holy crap was that hard. And at the end of the season you are left with a greater challenge than you started with; getting them down with ice over them.

I put lights up every year; the wifey likes it. Although at my age I get a little more worried every year about climbing the ladder to reach the peaks of my house. It's one story, but tall. My brother always reminds me, "if you fall just tuck and roll!"

Between the heavy rain yesterday and half a string of lights out; got it done today.

PB240848.jpg

Next weekend I make the traditional trip to the attic to get the tree. This replaces the tradition of driving further (there's always another tree farm down the road), fighting the crowds (in the rain), going into the barn to smell the animals and buying hot chocolate for the trip home to insure the mud was properly embedded in the minivan's carpet (which is no longer an issue with the MDX's rubber mats).

When it comes to real Christmas trees I'm somewhat of a curmudgeon; this is a result of being the only one in my family equipped to deal with the bugs coming out of hibernation in my living room:eek:

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving,

Matt

Hey I hear ya...we grew tired of the real tree so my wife decides to get a wonderful fakey with faux snow:rolleyes: well that thing is a literal disaster ,with a faux snow storm all over the house,but I drag it down from the attic every year....On the bright side after about 12 years it will pay for itself....

Back