• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How old is your timing belt

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
My 91 has 29k and climbing (argh!) and the original belt. I am not the least bit worried and am certain that it would last another 11 years and 30k miles.
Good luck... I'm doing my 93 with 27K miles, in addition to scheduled 30K service.

Rick Case Acura in Fort Lauderdale FL will give 10% off on parts and labor to NSXCA members.

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 14 January 2002).]

I'm doing mine in the spring with 60k service.(94 with 44k miles) I sure hope Acura dealer will honor that 10% off coupon!
redface.gif

Folks,

Just wanted to make a few comments.

1. Kelley Blue Book is BS.

2. Timing Chains are noisy compared to belts. (My wife's brand new RAV4 has a chain, and it is a "buzzy" little four banger!!) It's a 2.0 liter, so size really does not relate.

3. Timing Chains are smaller(width) then a belt, so when space is tight, they can use a chain.

4. My NSX is 1991 w/29K and the new timing belt IS going on in a few weeks.

5. Timing Belts are glass reinforced, so LOOKING at them will not tell you the wear that is on them. I just did the timing belt on my 1991 Accord (188K miles, second timing belt, admittedly stretched the 90K mark twice!!), if you look at the belt you cannot distinguish it from the new one. However, put it to your ear and twist the belt 90 degrees. You CAN hear the cracking of the glass reinforcements. It was time to go.

6. The timing belt job is by no means an engine tear-down. It is critical to do it right, or you might as well let it break!!!!!!!!!

My $.02

LarryB

Its really amazing to me to see all these NSX drivers freakin out about they're car having more than 2,000 miles on their 1992........

I think a lot of ppl are forgetting that the NSX is THE MOST RELIABLE CAR EVER BUILT!

I know everyone wants to keep their NSX as pretty as possible... but that's no excuse for not driving it!! You can track this car every day and the NSX won't even sneeze...

-Electro

Had mine changed during my 60K service. Had one break in my old Bimmer...those repairs are $$$.

Why save a few bucks to stretch out the belt's life, replace it for piece of mind everytime you run it out to 8K RPMS.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
As we know, Honda's recommendation is to change it every 6 years or 90,000 miles.
There was some talk awhile back (NSXPO in Atlanta IIRC) about review this service interval, and possibly extending it. Did anything happen along these lines ??

I would look at a new timing belt as partial
payback for the discount you get when purchasing an early model NSX. Having said
that I have to admit I haven't changed my 92's yet,but will this spring.

There was some talk awhile back (NSXPO in Atlanta IIRC) about review this service interval, and possibly extending it.

Review by whom? By Honda? They're the only ones who can change their recommendation. I did not hear anything about their recommendation changing, either at NSXPO 2000 or elsewhere.

Did anything happen along these lines ??

No. The recommendation from Honda is still 6 years or 90,000 miles.

At $1000 to $1200, it's a relatively inexpensive maintenance (since it's only done once every six years). If you want to follow Honda's recommendation, just do it, and give yourself the peace of mind that you're taking care of your car according to the recommendation of the experts. If you don't believe it needs to be done that often, then you can wait as long as you feel comfortable doing so, while knowing that you're taking the risk of a much more expensive repair if it breaks. Your money, your risk.

"Do you feel lucky today?" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 January 2002).]

Back