• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to access a (used) NSX for test-driving; seriously!

Sooo, I "drove" a 1991 NSX back in 1991 when they first came out. Even then, the extent of my "driving" it was brief; I was the valet who was lucky enough to be parking it. That's it. That's the first and last time I was in an NSX. Since that was about 25 years ago, and only NOW do I have enough cash to lay out for such a car (which I've been telling myself I've wanted for my whole life now), how does a person go about testing one of these cars?

It's not as if these cars are all over the place; they've gone from somewhat rare to....scarce. On top of that, I'm sure the last thing that anyone selling one of these cars locally wants to hear is that some schmuck wants to "see" how he fits in it and whether or not he likes it. Nope. They just want to sell the car; "no tire kickers" as they say.

Hey, I may realize now some 25 years later that I'm just too damn big for one of these cars. Imagine that; waiting all that time and now the dream is crushed because I don't fit! Could have realized that years ago if getting access to these cars was just a little bit easier. But it seems that could ultimately be my reality, as would be the case for any such car somewhat limited in number.

So what are your thoughts? What's the best way to get myself access to an NSX in such a way that I can get a feel for it, get a decent drive out of it, and actually not OFFEND the owner of the car by coming to do so? I've gotta figure I'm not the first person to be in this predicament.

Thanks for any/all suggestions (aside from any negative ones that this post might draw).

Why don't you just ask if somebody in your area has the time to show you their car?

Most owners that I have met love to share their enthusiasm for the NSX. Driving may or may not follow but If you post your general geographic area I would think you would not have a problem meeting one or more owners.

What have you got to lose?

Norm

^ what he said. Be polite and courteous and likely you will find a nice owner.

Or hit up a dealership - that is what I did. Found a dealership relatively near that had one for sale, called to make an appointment, and took the car for a drive.

I had never driven an NSX until I flew out to purchase my first one a one owner 1991. I guess I was saving myself for the right NSX. If you are taller than 6' 3" then you will find the car a tight fit. The man I bought my current 2002 was 6' 3" and he fit but, was tight on head room. There are many large people who find the NSX comfortable. If you can't find someone to let you drive theirs, just find one that you are serious about buying if all things check out. I won't buy a car that I can't test drive and you shouldn't either. The seller will know how serious you are by the questions you ask him or her. Detailed questions that only one who knows what to look for in the car. For example: Timing Belt and Water pump replacement, or if it's an early NSX, is it within snap ring range and ask if it has all of the maintenance records, etc. Tire kickers won't do the research.

Since I brought up research, it will serve you well to study the NSX wiki which you will find on the menu bar above. I did it before I bought my first NSX and it helped me be able to judge whether the car I was looking at was worth buying.

I stayed away from dealers as they were not willing to negotiate and most knew nothing technical about the car. A private seller will be easier to workout a deal for the car. But, remember you are buying a car that is now in demand and it's been a seller's market. However, there are still some deals out there. I've bought both of my NSXs out of state. So, for me, my comfort level with the seller is as important as the condition of the car. I spoke to the sellers of my cars and got to know them a little. True car guys don't mind talking about their passion for cars. Once you get comfortable that the owner is trustworthy and he knows you are a serious buyer, ask for receipts for the major maintenance items like TB/WP. If you are now comfortable with the car and the seller it's time to go see that car and drive it. Also, before you go be ready to buy the car on the spot. Too many folks on here and the NSXPrime Facebook page complain about losing a car because someone else came in with the cash before them. Most sellers will sell the car to the first person with the money. Once you look the car over, you might want to have a PPI done on it. I didn't have one done on either of mine as both cars came with complete maintenance records going back to the cars delivery at the dealership. Both of my cars were purchased way out of state and I drove them both home from the seller. I won't lie to you, buying a car out of state is a little scary. However, if you do your homework and have the money ready to exchange it's not a bad experience at all. Being willing to look out of state will expand your chances of finding the perfect car for you. I highly recommend that, if you have the time, you drive the car home. It's miles of smiles and a good way to learn your car and make a list of the little things that you'll want to fix or change. Plus it's an adventure you'll never forget.

I know this is more than you asked for but, it was my first NSX driving and buying experience. That first drive of the car I was going to buy is a memory that I will always remember every detail of as if it was yesterday. And since I took my son with me, who was 12 yrs old at the time, the long drive back was a great adventure that we share. I hope this is helpful.

my first drive was also a used exotic dealer , he knew I was qualified to buy even though I was only tire kicking...it was a nice 93 red Ivory , good memories.

Back