• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Honda NSX Valuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Honda NSX . It's currently in Japan and I will be importing my meticulously maintained 1991Honda NSX (3L, 4-speed automatic) in Red/black mileage (11,000 miles / 18,000 km). It's a right-hand drive (RHD) 1st Gen JDM and flawless less than 450 miles a year since delivered in Japan new
As you might know, Japanese car culture emphasizes meticulous maintenance, and this car is no exception. I plan to list it and sell in about 6 months. My asking price will be slightly higher than 120K but I”m not in a rush to sell.
I haven't seen many others in such pristine condition. this particular NSX belonged to my close friend of 40 years, a passionate collector of iconic cars. He previously owned a Porsche 959 and multiple other supercars hence it was maintained like any true supercar. Knowing the car's history, I couldn't resist bringing it to California myself.
I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts on sales prospects and my current asking price. Do you think there's room to ask a bit higher? With the limited availability of such cars, this one is practically one of a kind. Mine will join that exclusivity list of all original RHD in the USA when it arrives here (red and black) but my only concern is it's RHD, I"m going to spend another 10K to register it in Cali so there's that but the car looks like it did when it was delivered in 1991 to my friend in Tokyo. It's never seen the rain it's that ridiculous
Best regards,
Tim LoBello
P.S. My only concern is the RHD and automatic transmission combination, which might be less desirable in the US market. Perhaps the UK market could be a better fit? Curious to hear thoughts Tim

1 view

https://www.quora.com/profile/Tim-LoBello-2

Hello Tim, please use the format pinned in the subsection

Nice pictures. No details, like price?

Please follow the rules and use the template described here, or this ad will have to come down.

Good morning so sorry about that my first time on NSX prime bit of a neophyte and not understanding how to post the car is sitting in my garage in Osaka Japan. I plan on bringing it to America and shipping this month. Once it hits America and I pay all the taxes I’ll be asking 140,000 but if I don’t have to ship and I find a buyer before I ship probably closer to US$110,000 the car is concourse, my main reason for posting was to get feedback on what a 100 point all original car always kept in a garage would be worth I’ve seen cars that were inferior going for more money but of course they were left-hand drive cars and already sitting in the United States. I’m open to offers if anyone is interested I would be happy to ship before payment, but that would require some type of deposit in escrow being held by a neutral party, and if the car met all the qualifications, then the balance would be due to options, but the car is stunning and I won’t be disappointed if I just keep it for my own private use but mainly for show purposes I plan on bringing it to Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, and a few other locations

Good morning so sorry about that my first time on NSX prime bit of a neophyte and not understanding how to post the car is sitting in my garage in Osaka Japan. I plan on bringing it to America and shipping this month. Once it hits America and I pay all the taxes I’ll be asking 140,000 but if I don’t have to ship and I find a buyer before I ship probably closer to US$110,000 the car is concourse, my main reason for posting was to get feedback on what a 100 point all original car always kept in a garage would be worth I’ve seen cars that were inferior going for more money but of course they were left-hand drive cars and already sitting in the United States. I’m open to offers if anyone is interested I would be happy to ship before payment, but that would require some type of deposit in escrow being held by a neutral party, and if the car met all the qualifications, then the balance would be due to options, but the car is stunning and I won’t be disappointed if I just keep it for my own private use but mainly for show purposes I plan on bringing it to Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, and a few other locations
Anything is possible but I don't think any automatic coupes have brought over 100k. With all you typed out you could have also easily made this post within compliance of for sale rules.

Anything is possible but I don't think any automatic coupes have brought over 100k. With all you typed out you could have also easily made this post within compliance of for sale rules.
Yes, I’ll redo the post and make it compliant with sales rules. I was more trying to get feedback like this and I was concerned that four speed automatics might not have the same appeal as a manual transmission as you have mentioned that was important feedback for me.

RHD automatics worth about $55k-60k USD. Yours has very low km but that's the only highly desirable part in the US, nobody wants the RHD or auto cars here. Note I have a 93 JDM auto. If the car is in Japan right now then you are likely better off selling it in Australia for higher money.

You also mention that you plan to show it at Pebble, Amelia, etc. But reality is they will not want your car. I was just at Amelia, and applied my car for the Japanese class, but was declined and you know what car they accepted? 1-of-1 green NSX-R. They also turned away a Zanardi NSX!!! The NSX-R was sitting on the show field next to a Nissan R33 LM and a NISMO 400R. So that's the reality of the level of car that you would be applying against at the major Concours.

Last edited:
RHD automatics worth about $55k-60k USD. Yours has very low km but that's the only highly desirable part in the US, nobody wants the RHD or auto cars here. Note I have a 93 JDM auto. If the car is in Japan right now then you are likely better off selling it in Australia for higher money.

You also mention that you plan to show it at Pebble, Amelia, etc. But reality is they will not want your car. I was just at Amelia, and applied my car for the Japanese class, but was declined and you know what car they accepted? 1-of-1 green NSX-R. They also turned away a Zanardi NSX!!! The NSX-R was sitting on the show field next to a Nissan R33 LM and a NISMO 400R. So that's the reality of the level of car that you would be applying against at the major Concours.
Thanks for that feedback you were absolutely right I don’t intend to show in the Pebble Beach class just on the collateral sidelines of Pebble Beach. my good friend won best in class last year with his Lancia. He’s very connected there still the information you say is very important. It tells me that even as flawless this car is seeing $100,000 with a right hand drive car would be next to impossible. That’s the only way I would bring it in. Otherwise, I’ll keep it in and offer it from Japan without shipping. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you so

Always a market for NSX's, but 120 sounds very optimistic for a RHD, especially an auto. Also, many primers will be hesitant to deal with a new member due to all the scammers out there, especially without a car in hand. You need to list in the correct format and you need a picture of the car with your name and date on a stickie next to the serial number plate on the driver's door frame.

You seem to have started 2 threads on this car, when it isn't even here in the US.

Would BAT be a better choice? List it and then ship it to whoever bites?

Last edited:
Be careful with any "neutral escrow" services. There are a lot of scammers out there and the "deposit in escrow" is VERY common way to lose a deposit, & you don't even need a car for this scam, just a few pictures.

You need to list in the correct format and you need a picture of the car with your name and date on a stickie (preferably next to the serial number plate on the driver's door frame). Otherwise, it looks to viewers like you don't actually have the car, just pictures, trying to scam deposits.

Be careful with any "neutral escrow" services. There are a lot of scammers out there and the "deposit in escrow" is VERY common way to lose a deposit, & you don't even need a car for this scam, just a few pictures.

You need to list in the correct format and you need a picture of the car with your name and date on a stickie (preferably next to the serial number plate on the driver's door frame). Otherwise, it looks to viewers like you don't actually have the car, just pictures, trying to scam deposits.
I will definitely list the car like that that situation. I’m still conflicted on what it’s worth in America as a right hand. Drive car. Run the best to Cell is always with the physical car there where they can see it touch it and make sure the title is clean. I just don’t want to go through the trouble of importing it if I’m going to lose money. Happy to hear your input on the value of right hand drive in United States I’m starting to hear that it might not be as valuable as left-hand drive car with the same miles and same 99 point condition.

Thanks for that feedback you were absolutely right I don’t intend to show in the Pebble Beach class just on the collateral sidelines of Pebble Beach. my good friend won best in class last year with his Lancia. He’s very connected there still the information you say is very important. It tells me that even as flawless this car is seeing $100,000 with a right hand drive car would be next to impossible. That’s the only way I would bring it in. Otherwise, I’ll keep it in and offer it from Japan without shipping. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you so
Look at the Australian market. Apparently JDM RHD cars sell for really big bucks there.

I'm going to merge your two threads on this and leave them up. But folks should realize the car actually isn't for sale, this is more of an informational thread. I'm going to move it to the general discussion forum to avoid confusion.

To the OP, honestly, that car won't bring $100,000 in the U.S. The NSX market is softening right now and the two knocks on it- AT and RHD- are going to put off most buyers. The only RHD cars that bring big money over here are the special models like the NSX-R and Type-S. That's why Amelia said yes to the R. That's a $300,000 to $500,000 car depending on condition. A S-Zero went for $640,000 at auction in Japan a few months ago. Your car is not in that league- a red AT NSX is very common in Japan. The low miles and good condition will add some value, but I agree you'll probably be better off in AUS or the UK where these cars are extremely rare, regardless of transmission, and the RHD is the correct layout.

Last edited:
The NSX market is softening right now...
I agree a rhd automatic car is not gonna make a big price, but although you keep saying the market is softening, I see zero evidence of that- the classic.com stats look pretty stable. Obviously individual cars can go for more or less than us experts expect, but that's always the case.

I agree a rhd automatic car is not gonna make a big price, but although you keep saying the market is softening, I see zero evidence of that- the classic.com stats look pretty stable. Obviously individual cars can go for more or less than us experts expect, but that's always the case.
Yeah, I'm just basing it off the valuation tool. I find that a lot of the websites don't have a real clear picture since the car is so rare and the sample sizes are small. I think that value is still increasing (generally) over the long term, but price strength these days feels softer. JMO.

Yeah, I'm just basing it off the valuation tool. I find that a lot of the websites don't have a real clear picture since the car is so rare and the sample sizes are small.

Sample size not that small, here’s 1991-1994.
IMG_1792.png

Yeah, I'm just basing it off the valuation tool. I find that a lot of the websites don't have a real clear picture since the car is so rare and the sample sizes are small. I think that value is still increasing (generally) over the long term, but price strength these days feels softer. JMO.
It feels a bit softer to me as well. I'm not sure the valuation tool is getting updated and checked as frequently anymore. RacerX hasn't been responding to my PM's either.

The 97-01 curve has been falling over the last few months and is now significantly below the 95-96 curve, despite the recent pricing of 97-01's being higher than 95-96 values, so I would have expected the 97-01 curve to have gone up relative to 95-96 values, as compared to how it looked earlier this year (They were on top of each other in Nov/Dec I think.) I know the numbers are small, but I wonder if there's more to it than that.

You'll get a much higher price in the RHD world of AU, HK, UK, and probably NZ in that order.

AT and MT hold the same value for the most part too.

EDIT: I find the AT to be exceptionally good on the NSX, crisp and quick shifts...very responsive.

I suspect once the MT replacement parts are gone, I can see cars being made into an AT or just completely converted to another drivetrain or transmission.

Last edited:
I just bought my first NSX and had it shipped over here. Same car with similar miles. I absolutely love the automatic. When all the other cars are manual, having an auto is really nice.

Was actually thinking of buying a high mileage car to daily drive and that's why I keep poking around the classified section. That's how much I like driving this car.
Who knows, all it takes is more money.

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
I'm going to merge your two threads on this and leave them up. But folks should realize the car actually isn't for sale, this is more of an informational thread. I'm going to move it to the general discussion forum to avoid confusion.

To the OP, honestly, that car won't bring $100,000 in the U.S. The NSX market is softening right now and the two knocks on it- AT and RHD- are going to put off most buyers. The only RHD cars that bring big money over here are the special models like the NSX-R and Type-S. That's why Amelia said yes to the R. That's a $300,000 to $500,000 car depending on condition. A S-Zero went for $640,000 at auction in Japan a few months ago. Your car is not in that league- a red AT NSX is very common in Japan. The low miles and good condition will add some value, but I agree you'll probably be better off in AUS or the UK where these cars are extremely rare, regardless of transmission, and the RHD is the correct layout.
Hey Thanks for feedback, Honestly I just don't want to lose money, Getting an almost 98 pt car in original condition is rare but I realize the RHD and Auto might be a turnoff. Curious if you think being all in after importation at around 85K is expensive. It's got 18K km documented good books and records never a repaint or accident it has not even seen rain or snow . The previous owner is a collector outside of Kyoto and the car is perfect in everyday. Also what can I expect to pay if I ship and register in California (all in with shipping , DMV fees & tax to import) any thoughts on that and should I expect to lose money if I"m into the car after that at near 90K? I know my buy price is amazing but sitting on a car that's RHD does worry me a little although not as much as I thought. Thanks for your input it's priceless

I will definitely list the car like that that situation. I’m still conflicted on what it’s worth in America as a right hand. Drive car. Run the best to Cell is always with the physical car there where they can see it touch it and make sure the title is clean. I just don’t want to go through the trouble of importing it if I’m going to lose money. Happy to hear your input on the value of right hand drive in United States I’m starting to hear that it might not be as valuable as left-hand drive car with the same miles and same 99 point condition.
I'll ask the same question

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back