• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to get swirl marks out of paint?

Jeff,

Swirls in your paint usually mean that a high speed buffer was used on the paint at some point. If this be the case then a high speed buffer can also remove them. In the hands of an expert that is.

One can also remove swirls by a safer method which is to use a random orbitol buffer, such as the Porter-Cable or the Cyclo dual head polisher. One can even remove swirls by hand with the proper technique.

I, as a detailer do not share all my "secrets", but I will give you a few tid bits. If the swirls are real bad then you may want to seek a highly recommended detailer in your area. If they are mild to just a few then rool up your sleeves and DIY.

If the paint is in fair to great condition, meaning it has no oxidation or contamination in it then proceed with these steps after washing the paint. Use Meguirs #3 if in great shape and #82 if in fair shape. Place the product on a sponge or foam applicator pad and rub one small portion out at a time in a bumper to bumper motion. Do not use circle motions. Wipe the surface down as you go, folding your wipe down towel often.

Use a new towel and applicator pad as build up gets on them. When you have rubbed out the entire painted areas, switch to Meguirs #9 and polish by machine, random orbitol if possible. Buff the paint "wet", meaning do not buff the product until it is dry tot he bone and evaporating. Think of #9 as a lotion to lubricate the paint. When you have done, say the front fender, take a clean foam pad and apply more #9 by hand, once again going back and forth, bumper to bumper.

Wipe down using, if at all possible a Micro-fiber towel or a flannel cloth. Use these because they are lint free and less likely to scratch. Top off with Meguirs # 26 or Pinnacle and it should look great. This is not a one or two hour job so plan to spend at least one day just rubbing it out. It's a labor of love and remember, in the world of detailing, "less is more"

Anthony

------------------
"For A Beautiful Appearance You Must First Preserve" - Anthony Orosco

I use a rotary buffer to compound and/or polish. I then finish off with Zaino or some other product by hand.

I've been meaning to get a dual action random orbit buffer to see how it compares to a rotary buffer.

A dual head polisher, like the Cyclo, is a fine machine but will not match what a high speed polisher can do, thus testing them side by side is futile.

A cyclo, or the Porter Cable will only remove very light oxidation and very minor paint imperfections, such as light scratches or a mishap with a rubber bumper guard.

Where the Cyclo and the Porter machine really shine and out perform a high speed polisher is when the paint is in good shape and one just needs to apply a glaze/polish or liquid wax. They leave no swirl marks and they generate little to no heat on the paint.

There is a time and a need for the high speed and also the same for the random orbit buffers. I personally use my high speed just about every day, even on new cars fresh off the lot because they are usually filled with swirls. I then usually finish off with one of my random orbits.

Anthony

Anthony, where in Texas are you? I want to get my car buffed and waxed too. I just bought it and the paint is about a 8 out of 10. I think buffing it would much improve it, considering its got many micro scratches.
Regards
Z

Originally posted by NSX FoYoAss:
I want to get my car buffed and waxed too. I just bought it and the paint is about a 8 out of 10. I think buffing it would much improve it, considering its got many micro scratches.

Click here for a recommendation of a detailer in Houston.

NSX FoYoAss said:
Anthony, where in Texas are you? I want to get my car buffed and waxed too. I just bought it and the paint is about a 8 out of 10. I think buffing it would much improve it, considering its got many micro scratches.
Regards
Z

Hey I am sorry for resurrecting thsi thread but I after a computer upgrade I lost all my car sites :frown: I am now trying to get caught up so I am sorry about that.

I go to Austin and detail cars for people but they also pay me my regular fee plus "time" for the trip so it may be better to look for a detailer up near you (I am sure you already found one) but if you want we can set up a date and see what happens. My email is [email protected]

Take care,
Anthony

bradNSX said:
All I have to say is Zymol HD Cleanser --- will 100% take out swirl marks. Followup with Zymol Carbon Wax. $60 for both including shipping.

Sorry, HD cleanse will not remove swirls. I have used it and it may clean paint well but it is so mild that it has little to no polishing properties unless you are working on paint that is already in great shape.

And unless they reformulated it it does not work with a rotary and this is the only way to fully remove buffer swirls.

Anthony

I have a '92 in red and when I bought it last fall it had moderate swirls. I'm sure the pro's can do better (well, some of them :tongue: ) but my paint looiks amazing now; I used a P/C polisher and a variety of pads. I applied all the compounds with the buffer and removed the compunds with 100% made in the USA cotton towels. I did a final buff of each step with the PC and a microfibre bonnet. I have NO swilrls under any light conditions or angles.

-wash
-clay bar
-wash
-Menzerna Intensive Polish using a foam cutting pad
-Menzerna Final Polish using a polishing foam pad
-Meguires swirl mark remover (I know, it only hides the swirls! I had them all but gone anyway.)
-3M hand glaze
-4 coats of Pinnacle Souverain carnuba wax done by hand.

It took me and my 15 year-old son the better part of a day (plenty of breaks) but the reward was well worth it.

3M rubbing compound always worked for me when I had my black IS300...

Back