• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to humanly deal with a cat problem

I recently purchased a new truck to which a neighbor's cat has taking a liking to laying on the hood. The problem is the truck is large and it claws its way up to the hood. It had already scratched the hood up last week and I found another set of scratches this Friday. The scratches seem to only be in the clear coat and should be able to be buffed out.

I've managed to calm myself and no longer want to run it over.

The problem is the truck does not fit into my garage and I do not move for another month into the new house with a garage deep enough for the truck. I was brainstorming ideas on how to deal with it this weekend. Has anyone had experience with high frequency transmitter that could be turned on while the truck is parked during the evenings? I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

I recently purchased a new truck to which a neighbor's cat has taking a liking to laying on the hood. The problem is the truck is large and it claws its way up to the hood. It had already scratched the hood up last week and I found another set of scratches this Friday. The scratches seem to only be in the clear coat and should be able to be buffed out.

I've managed to calm myself and no longer want to run it over.

The problem is the truck does not fit into my garage and I do not move for another month into the new house with a garage deep enough for the truck. I was brainstorming ideas on how to deal with it this weekend. Has anyone had experience with high frequency transmitter that could be turned on while the truck is parked during the evenings? I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

I don't think you could have it on all the time as you would hurt all the animals in close proximity. Some people use car covers. I personally used my German Shepherd to get rid of our feline friends :tongue:

Do you know who's cat it is? If so, speak to them. If not, call animal control and have it picked up. Alternatively, try and catch it on there and spray it with a hose - cats hate water...

Good Luck,
Jonny

its probably only doing it because it is warm... spray the hood down to cool it off when you get done for the night or set up a little sprinkler to water your car overnight...

1. Cheap heavy duty car cover.

2. Get a big dog.

3. Sprinkler running on the car all night.

4. Antifreeze and milk. <--- easy and humane. Cat goes home, falls a sleep, and that's the last time he ever climbed your car.

My cat peed on my suitcase for work the other day... I was so pissed off, that I went out at peed on his Kitty Condo. Now we are even. :rolleyes:

Get an old blanket or something, soak in water and lay it on the hood. The weight keeps in on there, the water keeps it soft and keeps it from scratching the car, the cat will hate it because it's wet. NO WAY will a cat go some place that is wet. I think for 30 days you can do this easy.

Have a little compassion. It's just an animal going about its business that has no idea it is scratching your hood. You may have to do a little extra work is all.

If it's only for a month, a large piece of foam rubber placed on top of the hood every night would seem to be far less damaging than cat claws.

Bad idea - the cat may take to scratching the foam, which would potentially lead to more scratches when it scratches the foam away. :eek:

A water pistol works well, as does a paintball gun. The watered blanket also sounds good.

<snip>

4. Antifreeze and milk. <--- easy and humane. Cat goes home, falls a sleep, and that's the last time he ever climbed your car.<snip>

likely a felony.

in our front yard, i use a hose on roaming cats; the dogs have the back yard under control. i would find out who owns the cat and / or would put out a wild animal trap w/tuna and let nature take its course. then you have the option of putting a sign up that says "free cat" or taking it to a no-kill pet rescue / shelter.

You could also cover the hood with glue, wake up and go for a very very long drive. Maybe even through a car wash.

Nah, dont do that.

Until you decide what to do, wax the hood. Even if the cat doesn't slip right off, at least his claws won't be able to get a purchase on your finish and leave scratches. Same principle as waxing inside of your door handles to prevent fingernail scratches.
Plus, it could be funny to watch.

4. Antifreeze and milk. <--- easy and humane. Cat goes home, falls a sleep, and that's the last time he ever climbed your car.

Dude,
Normally I like your comments- if my cats were outside cats, (they are not) and I found out you did that to my cat(s) you could not run far enough fast enough to save yourself. Please do not post crap like that.

i once heard that black pepper sprinkled on the hood will work. i tried it on my civic, but it was a POS anyway, so i could never tell if it really worked or not. the good thing is most of the pepper will not blow off when driving. the bad thing is i dont know about the affects to the new paint.

sleep in the car, wait for the scratching noise, then start the car

apparently there are an ungodly number of stray animals in this state (alabama).... and i've heard some stories of people popping their hoods and finding mangled cats :frown:

Easy and cheap solution - go to any pet supply store and buy some spray cat repellant. Go home and apply the spray to a large bath towel and spread it across your car hood. Do this for a few days in a row and it will break the cat of it's habit. How do I know? I have some cats there were tearing up some of our furniture. We just some pieces re-upholstered and we did this and it has worked like a charm.

My inlaws were having a similar problem with cats not 2 weeks ago. The stray cats weren't getting on the cars though. They were eating the fish in their little pond.

Easy solution: They called animal control. Animal control came out with a live trap. They leave it out in the yard with tuna in it for bait. They caught 3 cats in 4 days. Everytime they caught one they called animal control who came and picked the cats up. Frustration and cost = zero.

Easy and cheap solution - go to any pet supply store and buy some spray cat repellant. Go home and apply the spray to a large bath towel and spread it across your car hood. Do this for a few days in a row and it will break the cat of it's habit. How do I know? I have some cats there were tearing up some of our furniture. We just some pieces re-upholstered and we did this and it has worked like a charm.

i like this idea....

Back