• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to keep cats off your NSX hood.

I have a carport and I usually use a carcover if my car is clean, but lately its been raining and stormy so the car stays constantly dirty. I find cat footprints all over my hood when I get to it this morning... any ideas to scare cats from sleeping or walking on your hood without scratching up your paint?

1- Shoot the cat
2- Get a dog(that hates cats)
3- Get a cover
4- duh, I see you already have a cover
No flames, 1 & 2 or jokes

[This message has been edited by NSX-Ster (edited 20 December 2002).]

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
I have a carport and I usually use a carcover if my car is clean, but lately its been raining and stormy so the car stays constantly dirty. I find cat footprints all over my hood when I get to it this morning... any ideas to scare cats from sleeping or walking on your hood without scratching up your paint?

I don't use a car cover, but in the winter (now) the cat likes to lay over the engine when its warm :)

I figure I'll just wash the car eventually...

Strictly a joke.

Tie their legs together so they can not jump only roll around. The cat may even think it is a new kind of game or something?.

Originally posted by NSX-Ster:
1- Shoot the cat
2- Get a dog(that hates cats)

ill add to the list.... if its not your cat, and is being a pest, could always try the antifreeze circle around the car.... not immediate results, but give it a week.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

maybe, instead of paper bags to there feet, put some terry cloth, and let em buff the hood.......

paper bags is fun to watch, might not solve it, but well get ya laughing...
biggrin.gif

serioulsy tho, maybe you can wrap the car with corigated cardboard, about 4 ft high all the way around.....
i know we got cardboard in 4tf rolls, for misc. packing....

might block em good....

[This message has been edited by KODIAC (edited 20 December 2002).]

I don't know where the cat comes from... I just see his work on my hood when I go to the car in the morning... Anyways, on my site forum someone suggested to use some sort of animal repellent odor that scares them away. That sounded like the best idea.

I wouldn't mind shooting the cat, but I'd have to sleep on a lawn chair next to my car all night.

I had the same problem. Wal-Mart sells a product (In the pet dept.) that looks like moth balls....put it on the ground near the car and they want go near it.

If that does not work....antifreeze!!!!

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
I wouldn't mind shooting the cat, but I'd have to sleep on a lawn chair next to my car all night.

ahh the sacrafices we make for our cars.....

all joking aside, you could get one of those cat cages from the vet, and just hope to catch em and then just take him to vet, and hope he gets adopted(pref. to some other neighbor hood FAR FAR away..)

It's funny that you post this topic... a cat somehow found his/her way into my garage and was sitting on top of the roof... roll hoop (the top was off). I then recalled all the nightmare posts on the forums saying how some cats put scratches all over the car. So I calmly told the cat to get off... after the third time, the cat eventually got off the car... right before he landed on the ground, he slid off the hood a little bit... damn it... I haven't washed it or took it out in the sun yet, but it doesn't look like it's scratched.

Originally posted by NSX-Ster:
1- Shoot the cat

I believe the advice quip among those faced with this problem is "Shoot, shovel, and shut up."
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by KODIAC:
you could get one of those cat cages from the vet, and just hope to catch em and then just take him to vet, and hope he gets adopted(pref. to some other neighbor hood FAR FAR away..)

Vets have cages, not traps. The difference is, a cat can walk into a cage and walk right out again. Also, vets do not accept animals for adoptions; that is the role of public and private animal shelters (formerly known as "the pound").

My local city animal shelter has humane traps for pests such as squirrels, raccoons, cats, etc. They require a deposit when you borrow one, and return the deposit when you bring it back. Wild animals like squirrels and raccoons can be released into wooded areas some distance from home. Domesticated animals like cats can be turned in to the shelter. Our shelter has a very good adoption rate and does not automatically kill animals if they are not adopted after a set period of time.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 December 2002).]

In Hawaii everybody puts out big glass jars of water to keep cats out of their yards. I don't know why it is suppossed to work, or even if it does work, but freaking everybody does it so there must be something to it. I doubt it would hurt to put a couple around your car or even on the hood/roof. Typically people use those big jars that apple juice comes in.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Domesticated animals like cats can be turned in to the shelter. Our shelter has a very good adoption rate and does not automatically kill animals if they are not adopted after a set period of time.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 December 2002).]

that sounds like the most humane, and possibly effective way to solve the problem with that cat for good, eventually, the cat will find his way to your X, (see the chick magnet, a.k.a. p#$$y magnet
biggrin.gif
i guess now...)

[This message has been edited by KODIAC (edited 21 December 2002).]

Get a motion sensor activated toy and place it on/near your NSX. Maybe it'll be enough to scare the cat. I have a "Buzz Lightyear Room Guard" that might do the trick. An Aibo may be effective too.

Cats are from the pit of Hell and cannot be eliminated !
biggrin.gif
If none of the above mentioned products work, have some fun with him. Felines are habit forming animals and often go to the same spot for rest, which I suspect is your case if the thing is planting itself on your hood or trunk nightly. It may be quite easy to catch. If none of the other stuff works layout a nice old blanky in the given spot with fly paper strips on top. The cat will take a poke at it b/c its a cat, when it sticks to his paw he'll fling it around trying to get it loose, at that point the remainder of the strip will attach itself to his hair and the freak out will begin. You will never see it again and if he does have the sack to come back its game on !

Bastards! If I ever catch any of you harming a cat, I'll run you over! With my NSX no less! =D

All joking aside, I had the same problem with paw prints on my windows upon returning to my car. Most aggravating after a nice carwash was just completed. I think the simplest solution is either the animal repellent (odor and electronic both being acceptable) or just have a small blanket handy to cover the car with at night.

A friend of mine swears that playing a radio 24/7 does the trick for him.

It's certainly easy enough to try and it seems an affordable solution if it works.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Get a rat trap or some sticky cardboard (the one to trap rat) at the hardware store and put on your car. That will teach the cat a lesson.

Originally posted by NSX01:
Get a rat trap or some sticky cardboard (the one to trap rat) at the hardware store and put on your car. That will teach the cat a lesson.

please dont try any of these sticky paper tricks, just imaging having to pic this off when the cat flips this paper, and ends up landing half of it on the hood, and then getting away, and you have to PEEL off your hood.....

forgive the phrase "sounds good on paper" but literaly, it is a bad idea... and i hope no one thinks this will actually work...

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
Felines are habit forming animals and often go to the same spot for rest, which I suspect is your case if the thing is planting itself on your hood or trunk nightly. It may be quite easy to catch.

Something Ive heard people do to "train" cats and dogs is to use a squirt gun on them whenever you catch them doing something they shouldnt. Just wait for the cat and give it a few squirts. After a few bad experiences, it should learn not to go there anymore.

My only reservation about this is you may scare the cat into deploying its claws. Maybe a few warning squirts to get it moving and then soak it when its retreating?

I cannot believe this, but this happened to me the other day. I thought I was the only one. I have a black 95 NSX and found muddy paw prints on my hood. I guess its my fault for not using my new cover.

Back