• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purchased my NEW 1992 and quickly learned how to check and change Transmission Fluid!

Forgive me if I don't post this properly... pretty much my 1st post as an NSX owner... Here goes... thanks to Larry B. for all the help along the way!

Finally bought my very own 1992 NSX 5 speed black top. Been dreaming about this ever since I owned my first 1987 MR2 AW11 back in 2000. Best part is I’m the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] owner, 86K miles, stock everything, Sebring silver with zero accidents (the Wolf), and a clear title. The one down point is the previous owner opted to do some cosmetic fixes on the front and rear bumper and the color match is slightly off (darker, doesn’t bother me, minor as I’ll be sitting in the car driving it and I’m stoked that the engine and frame are perfect!). It was quite the adventure to find it, inspect it, test drive it, seal the deal, and drive it 17 hours plus over 1,196 miles to it’s new home. I had a lot of faith that it would make it, as everything seemed to be in pristine condition. However, along the way I ran into a freak occurrence that could have shot my transmission that is not in snap ring range. Lucky for me I ran into a number of good Samaritans and Larry B. was more than gracious to talk me through the problem. In the end it was fun and I’m just elated by my purchase.

Promised Larry B. that I would blog this as my very first post for new NSX owners should they ever encounter a similar problem or want very simple instructions to changing or checking the transmission fluid on an NSX. (I’m no expert, so please feel free to correct me if I’ve done anything wrong, as I was learning in real-time on the interstates across 7 US states. It might help me to refine my techniques).

Problem:
During the inspection, all seemed to go fine, aside from a pre-disclosed clicking of what was identified as the ABS pump upon warm-up. No leaks aside from one small semi transparent drip. 1 drop to be exact.

After driving 250 miles on the initial leg of the trip, I stopped for gas and noticed a few more drips. Due to my rookie knowledge, I thought it was ABS fluid and thought it would be fine as the brakes were still firm. Eliminated that it could be oil since the oil side of the engine bay was clean both top and bottom and the stick was full.

Drove 50 miles further and stopped at a rest stop. Now the leak was worsening because the drip was starting to blow back to the exhaust and causing a burning smell. I thought it was just due to my over confidence in overtaking any semi truck that I thought could kick up some rocks and nick my new baby. So I decided to call Larry B., who in good fashion picked up the call, and advised me to check the fluid levels ASAP since neither of us knew how long the leak had been there. Of course I had no clue on how to check the fluid.

I decided I needed a good low pro jack. Problem was it was nightfall and I was in the middle of nowhere in a state that has every major stop no less than 50 miles apart. Finally got to a Wal-Mart, bought a low pro jack, 2 jack stands, and a cheap tool set with sockets wrenches from ½ to 3/8 drives (along with towels and simple green). After jacking up one side of the car, I realized I’d need 2 more jack stands to do this right. So with half the car up, I turned on the blinkers and ran back into buy 2 more jacks.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4469.jpg
After several runs back into Wal-Mart, I had the car up and took out a plug that I thought was the filler plug. It used a ½ driver socket to get to and I placed my finger in it to find there was still fluid with silver shavings. I sent Larry B. a picture who was probably asleep, replaced the plug, cleaned off all the drippings which had gone all throughout the rear axle and undercarriage of the rear driver’s quarter panel just below the air filter box with the intention of stopping up the road to recheck.

AS SEEN HERE: (wrong plug)
IMG_4470.jpg
I drove another hour, listening intently, and monitoring the shifting to see if I could feel any negative changes. Upon stopping at a gas station, I put the car up on all fours again. I was hoping to find some Manual Transmission Fluid at this gas station, as Wal-Mart only carries Automatic (ATF)… go fig, everyone drives automatics nowadays. Again, since it was 2am in the morning I didn’t have many options for auto stores or dealerships. A good Samaritan who had worked at Honda Auto shops in the area offered to help, got under, checked the plug that we thought were the filler and some fluid came out. However, this hole could not take your finger so it kept bothering me. He suggested checking the owner’s manual, which I actually have along with the original Bose sound system manual, but it was pretty much worthless with a tiny cartoon and some nonsense about using 10w-30 SG Motor Oil as transmission fluid. Since there was still fluid, I figured I was over reacting and decided to keep driving.

Drove through the night and in the morning at sunrise I got a call from Larry B. Saying, that’s not the transmission filler. Re-check and refill the fluid. Stop at a Honda dealer and buy the Manual HGH fluid. (They only carry one type of Manual Transmission fluid as seen in the pics below in a quart bottle.) Tranny takes 2.5-2.9 quarts btw (you’ll know it’s full after it starts dripping out from the filler hole). Larry pointed out that the filler how is a 17mm bolt, towards the back rear of the transmission, almost centered under the rear trunk and points at a 90 deg angle towards the driver’s side of the car.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4504.jpg
IMG_4499.jpg
higher bolt up towards the back is the filler (17mm bolt, crush washer, just above and behind axle seal), lower is the drain (3/8in socket driver, crush washer, below axle seal)

It was NOT the ½ drive plug that I had been check. That ½ inch plug he said is for removing and installing the trans. Found a nearby Honda auto parts dealer, bought 2 quarts of fluid, went to a nearby performance parts auto store, bought a fluid pump that could fit both a quart bottle top and a gear oil containers.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4510.jpg
IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4515.jpg

Decided to hit the road with a fresh batch of MTF in the Transmission and check it up the Interstate. Drove about 20 minutes and started noticing an inability to shift into 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear and looked for the first rest stop. Pulled over and did not feel good about the situation. Parked, turned off the car, and looked under the car. All the fluid I had just replaced had sprayed out under the car to the point it was covering my entire rear end and driver side under carriage. All the worst case scenarios went through my head: Cracked Axle boot, cracked transmission, destroyed gearbox, damaged gears, transmission change, cost to get towed 2 hours home, rental/taxi fees, etc. etc.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4528.jpg
Finally had the guts to call LarryB. and ask for some advice fully thinking he would say “I told you so”… but right at that moment, looking down just under the air filter, I noticed a very hard to see area that looked like it could be the source of the leak and should have a bolt or a plug in there… took a photo and sent it to LarryB.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4527.jpg

Immediately, he called and said, yup, that’s a plug, and it is very important due to the fact that the NSX Transmission has a pump and a pressurized oil system that keeps everything flowing. Without that bolt, the pump is shooting the oil from that hole. In true fashion, LarryB. went down a list of potential bolts to use as plugs from odd lines, mounts, and M8 bolts on the front hood stand mounts… unfortunately this bolt is one that is typically installed on a work bench with the trans removed from the engine bay. To make matters worse, a transmission-mounting bracket sits right above the open hole so that making it very specific to a very very short bolt. On top of that I had no clue or reassurance of the size of the bolt or incline angle of the thread required. On top of that, I had no car to get me 20 miles back down the Interstate to the location that I thought might have the parts and MTF oil required to refill the trans if I actually could plug it.

First desperate act, after finding that a taxi ride would cost over $120, no rental car companies in the area, I started walking along side the Interstate and waited to see a long interval between cars moving at 80MPH… saw a break and started sprinting, crossed it, ran through a bunch of sharp bushes and muddy medians and to my bad luck and surprise there was a cop sitting right on the other side. He whooped his siren and waived me over. He hollered, are you NUTZ! You could get killed, that’s illegal, I could give you a summons for that. I explained my situation, he said it’s ok, but not to do it ever again. I apologized and continued on my quest to hitch a ride down south. Saw some ladies, thought that would be weird, saw a family, car too full, then saw a single younger dude with camo pants and a dirty truck and asked. Livern, a Farmer with a giant auger said sure I’ll drive you back down, because he’d been in the same situation before and would have loved if someone helped him out. I got the fluids, walked a mile to the auto parts stores, found a couple potential bolts with the right size M8 1 or 1.25 thread incline and quickly reacquainted myself with the metric system and sizes of bolts for plugs, brakes, and batteries. On top of it, to my frustration, realized that they do not make crush washers for M8 bolts! In my quest to get the right parts for a random part that no one carries or makes, many of the shop owners feeling my frustration recommended the local hardware store. Problem was it was 3 miles away and the sun was quickly going down and I still needed to find a ride back to my car. Stepped outside of the autostore, saw a nice lookin old man and asked for a ride to the hardware store. He said he was going the other way, but had been in my situation before and he would have loved if someone helped him out. He even took my number to call me later to check if I was alright. Found my prospective bolts and a fiber washer at the Hardware store and exited into the parking lot. Immediately I saw a couple guys sitting in their SUV just chillin about to leave. I asked if they were going north on the Interstate, they said nah, they were headed south. I asked if they wouldn’t mind getting me to a gas station near the north bound exit, they agreed saying they’d been in the situation before and would have loved if someone helped them when they’re car broke down.

Got to the north bound gas station, found a guy going north and he agreed to take me because, yet again, he’d been in the same pickle in the past. 20 miles later, I was back, with my NSX, with 1.5 hours of sunlight to maneuver a very tight and difficult bolt into place hoping one of them would fit… …after dropping bolts, washers, and tools into unreachable places I finally got one to grab with the fiber washer. Using the tippy tips of my cut up fingers and tools for tasks that they weren’t designed for, I finally got the hole plugged with enough confidence to refill the trans.

Jacked the car up on all fours. Loosened 17mm transmission bolt with crush gasket. Opened my 3 quarts of Honda Manual Transmission Fluid from the dealer. Attached my quart pump and hose. Placed it into the filler hole, tube facing up and quart bottle fluid level facing towards me and pumped like a mad man. Resting only to renew the blood in my arm… takes about 50 pumps per quart… after about 2.7 quarts had gone in, the fluid started to drip from the filler hole… Indicating it was full. Cleaned the undercarriage and back of the NSX with Simple Green/Auto Detailing formula with auto paper towels. Lowered car, drove a couple times around the parking lot and checked the plug. It was HOLDING! Sent LarryB. the fix job, sun just went down, and prayed to the transmission gods that it would hold.

AS SEEN HERE:
IMG_4529.jpgassortment of options
IMG_4530.jpgM8, 1.25x12mm length
As I drove, the condition of the transmission improved and I stopped at every exit checking for drips… No drips, but still burning and smoke from all the previous spills (I had hoped)… Checked about 6 times and finally had the confidence that the plug was holding and fluid was in the trans. Drove my final 2 hours, arrived at my final destination, and decided to recover 3 sleepless nights. Polished my car last night and noticed how amazing the body and paint is for being a 21 year old car. Tonight I jacked it up on all four and checked the trans fluid and it’s full! Condition of the shifting continues to improve, but takes a little warming up. I’m sure I caused some fatigue, but it’s still drivable. Will look into using a higher grade of Manual Transmission fluid, but if all else fails, will likely implement an upgrade to the gear ratio. So far so good and I’m loving every second of owning this supercar!
Despite the trials, I view the trip as a blessing. I learned about everything to know about this car. Mostly good and quickly got re-immersed into my mechanical passion! Never thought I’d spend so much $$ to work on a new used car the first day. I also met a lot of good Samaritans, which was reassurance that there are still a lot of good people out there despite what you see on the news. Best of all LarryB as there helping me each and every step of the way. Sorry for the long blog. Just felt like I had to share and illustrate my experience since the most common response I received from my friends that helped me along the way said “No worries, I’ve been in the exact same situation and I would have sure loved to have someone lend a hand when I needed it”. Made the trip and purchase all the more memorable!

Hope this one day helps someone.
Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have questions/comments!
IMG_4419.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

Great story, hope there is no serious damage to your trans. Car looks great and you must be rapt in Larry B's help.
All the best from down under.
IAN94

Wow what a story! What luck you have had with people willing to drive you.

From what I have read on here Larry B is an awesome guy. We need more people like him in the world willing to help others.

nice. congrats and welcome to the club of NSX. you will not find another site like this one.

we are a collection of Know-it-Alls no joke, ask a question and you will get an answer from people that have been there done that.

welcome

I can just imagine how frustrated you would have been. I would have walked away multiple times, lol. Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the club.

Congrats on your purchase. I know you were probably going crazy during that whole escapade, I know I would have been a lunatic. Since you now own a 22yr old car, I suggest you make the investment and purchase AAA Plus coverage, not the regular AAA, because the perks are great. You could have gotten a 200mi tow, hopefully close to an Acura or Honda dealer where you would have had access to the parts needed. Nevertheless, you made it home and you have a great story to share at future NSXPO's.

10w-30 SG Motor Oil as transmission fluid

I think this is a emergency recommendation in the case where transmission oil is not readily available.

Several of the posts above have noted that HMC's MTF seems similar to motor oil. I agree. And for decades, that's precisely what HMC recommended for its manual-transmission cars, motor oil -- specifically, 10W-30 weight motor oil. In this regard, several of my current Honda owners' manuals state: "If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity motor oil with the API Certification seal that says 'FOR GASOLINE ENGINES' as a temporary replacement." The "temporary replacement" caveat is because (quoting the manuals) "[M]otor oil does not contain the proper additives, and continued use may cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as convenient." (See, e.g., the 2009/2010 Accord Owner's Manual.)(Emphasis added.)
Source

Cheers All! Hope to meet some of you all in the near future. I'm near the mid to upper east coast of the US atm, but I travel the world frequently. So feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet up and eXchange stories!

On a technical note, does anyone have recommendations for/against flushing the trans with an alternative/higher grade of transmission fluid? I'm not a chemist, but I'm sure there are some posts with detail that I'll have to look up. I've had recommendations for red line, but they don't usually come with a good enough why for me to try it. Looking to flush one more time before I start pushing her again. If there's already a blog would appreciate a push in the right direction.

808NESSEX (all my favorite things in 1 word... 808, NES, SEX, NSX, and ESSEX)... 808NESSEX-BEER wouldn't flow right for an SN, but it sure does at the BARS! hehe. TMI. IAN94 send me a Coopers?! Cheers. And thanks for the warm welcome.

Also, special thanks to kenjiMR who is a childhood friend that first got me into NSX's and more importantly motorsports since the days when we rode skateboards, bmx bikes, go-karts, dirt bikes, dodge colts, Volvo S1800s, MR2s, lifted toyota trucks (old ones), S2000s and the like...

Last edited:
Larry B is da man...I have had many curbside consults with him from track venues all over..That is quite the story of persistance ,perseverence coupled with blood letting,and potential for rape....glad you now have the sebring home.

Larry B is da man...I have had many curbside consults with him from track venues all over..That is quite the story of persistance ,perseverence coupled with blood letting,and potential for rape....glad you now have the sebring home.

LMFAO... "rape", didn't cross my mind, but the old guy did pat me down to check for knives and weapons. I guess not sleeping for a few days and being covered in grease, blood, and sweat doesn't really give off an inviting first impression while hitch hiking on an interstate.

looking back now you can laugh..but while you were living it..must have seemed like one long crazy night..

Amazing experience. I am guessing you are fairly young to endure that all. Hoping all the mechanicals on your NSX survived the ordeal.

How about coming down to Raleigh in October to NSXPO 2013 and sharing more of you NSX experiences?

Hi Makana,

Well, I have to say this was a first for me. Spend the weekend working on an NSX that I could not see, touch, taste, etc:):):).... If is amazing how you take for granted all of your senses as you work, like eyes, ears, fingers:D:D:D.

Anyway I am so glad you got your baby home, and now it can be repaired and seems like the trans is fine.

Happy to help

Regards,
LarryB

Quite a story. Impressive ability to "wing it." Big thumbs up! And on top of it all, you bought the best color NSX!

Hi Makana,

Well, I have to say this was a first for me. Spend the weekend working on an NSX that I could not see, touch, taste, etc:):):).... If is amazing how you take for granted all of your senses as you work, like eyes, ears, fingers:D:D:D.

Anyway I am so glad you got your baby home, and now it can be repaired and seems like the trans is fine.

Happy to help

Regards,
LarryB

Larry is the MAN! lol. I kid you not, while looking for a bolt to poach to plug the hole on the transmission he walked me around the car to different nuts and bolts for mounts of less importance on the phone! "try the M8 bolts on the mounts for the front engine hood stand!" (about a mm too long to fit under that transmission mounting bracket) "Well, it's because that plug is usually operated on while the trans is on the bench and those are the only M8 bolts to poach on the car"... I am more surprised when LarryB doesn't have a precision technical answer than when he does about this car... I asked, "why Honda Transmission fluid as opposed to another?" he said, "hell, I'm not a chemist!"... awkward silence...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mate,

Great story, hope there is no serious damage to your trans. Car looks great and you must be rapt in Larry B's help.
All the best from down under.
IAN94

IAN94, my Aussie mates just pointed out a HUGE problem... I didn't even notice the steering wheel is on the WRONG SIDE! Was probably too excited while inspecting it. Shoot! What a rip off.

Wow, what a story... definitely built lasting memories.
I've been in a couple similar situations, but nothing quite to this extent, running all over, or getting multiple rides (and not for or in the NSX).
I've been out in the dark, in freezing rain, trying to beat the predicted on coming blizzard to arrive the next morning. Only to drop bolts where they disappear like socks in a dryer. Had to run find a similar bolt, get back, try not to freeze.
It isn't much fun at the time, but after you survive them, you are thankful it is in the past & satisfied you were able to get through it all.

Larry B is an incredible resource for us NSX owners.
Like Shawn mentioned, if you have a question, you can usually post it on Prime and somebody will have the correct answer to help out.

Thanks for posting.... hopefully your transmission will be fine!

Larry B is and always be the man, congrats silver looks great

Great story! Glad you made it home safe :)
Thank you for sharing!

On a technical note, does anyone have recommendations for/against flushing the trans with an alternative/higher grade of transmission fluid? I'm not a chemist, but I'm sure there are some posts with detail that I'll have to look up. I've had recommendations for red line, but they don't usually come with a good enough why for me to try it. Looking to flush one more time before I start pushing her again. If there's already a blog would appreciate a push in the right direction.

We run Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil in the LoveFab (turbo) car, as per Cody's recommendation.
Works great, and shifter feel is at least as good as stock.

Great story, and welcome to NSX ownership!
Brian
(hose in the picture is what we use to fill the NSX transaxle with, it's a old 944 coolant line ;-)

NSX transaxle filler tool by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Welcome to Prime! That has to be one of the craziest new owner stories I have ever heard, congrats! Be very careful about using other brands of MTF in your NSX. The NSX manual trans is interesting in that it is a pressurized system (with pump and filter!) and uses a wet-clutch type differential. This means the pressurized MTF is constantly circulated through the differential, where it lubricates the running gears and also coats the friction discs within the differential clutch stack. Because the limited slip functionality is based on this wet friction operation, using different types of fluid may effect the friction limit (in a potentially bad way) or fail to protect the disc surfaces adequately resulting in premature wear and loss of function. Only Honda MTF (white cap) is formulated and tested to work properly in the NSX's differential. Anything else is a gamble. In fact, some MTF companies specifically tell you not to use their fluid in wet-clutch type differentials.

A lot of people have tried other fluids with no claimed problems, but statements like "it shifts smoother" are not evidence of compliance to spec. In reality, these folks have no idea what is going on in their differential under load. Most drive their NSX so little that they sell the car long before any damage would become apparent. And most don't drive their NSX hard enough to notice whether they have lost limited slip functionality or not.

By way of actual example, a few years ago LarryB converted my NSX to the NSX-R differential spec and JDM gears. My car had been fed only Honda MTF for 80,000 miles. When we took apart the diff case we measured the break away torque and it was still at brand-new spec. This means the friction discs had not worn down at all in almost 20 years of driving. In addition, my gear stacks, synchros and diff running gear showed almost no wear at all. Seeing my trans completely dissassembled sold me on Honda MTF and I will not use anything else, no matter what magical properties they claim to have.

So, I recommend you stick with Honda MTF and do a flush. Try to change your fluid every 2 or 3 years.

I am trying to figure out under what conditions or circumstances that particular M8 bolt would go missing.
That's kinda odd...

Great story, and glad to hear it worked it out for you.
Sounds like you are now an expert on jacking up your car properly, and the size of every single bolt on an NSX ; )
Kudos to Larry B

OMG...what a story... I've rebuilt quite a few honda manual tranny and nsx is similar. I am surprise you were able to remove the c clip bolt cover for the mainshaft bearing, the the one you use ratchet on. But for the missing bolt, I THINK it for one of the shift fork retainer bolt which contain a spring and a bearing, so when in gear the spring put pressure on the bearing ball against the grove on the shift fork to prevent the shifter from slipping out of gear. I would suggest you to check that bolt and get a correct replacement.

Last edited:
Back