• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to tow the NSX with your own trailer

I'm now exploring options on how to transport my NSX myself with my daily driver.

I've got a QX4 that is up to the task, but I've never looked at which car trailers would get the job done. Anyone have any experience with this? Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

find a low double axle trailer that has electric brakes...

x2. I feel that's mandatory with anything equal to or less than a 5k tow rating. The brakes on those types of trucks, typically, aren't real good at stopping. Much less with a 4-5k trailer and car behind them.

Get one as low as possible so it's easy to load. There are some out there that sorta swing out to make loading/unloading easy. If you can't get one of those, you can always take some air pressure out of the tires.

The double axle will help with stability - very important. IIRC, the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports goes through trailer tips. I'd take a look at that...

I wouldn't hesitate to go with surge brakes. I had an 8000 lb boat on a 2000 lb trailer with surge brakes and they worked great. Just make sure it has disc brakes on both axles.

I don't believe the Qx4 is a good choice to tow with this much weight.
I used my old '04 6cyl Grand Cherokee to tow back a 308 on a uHaul auto transport for 3 hours and it was way overdone, a lot of work for the 6cyl and the brakes.
I used a U-Haul transport twice for the NSX with a Yukon and a Sierra and it worked fine for the NSX. HERE.

Qx4 Towing capacity is 5000#, NSX is about 3200#. You would need to find a tandem axle trailer around 1800# to max out the "vehicle specs". Prob all aluminum at that weight.

-j-

Last edited:
My cousin bought a trailor to haul around his racecar Camero that he planned on towing with his newly purchased Ford diesel dualie. He got a great deal on the trailor from another guy at the track and insisted I came over to check the new truck/trailor combo out.

The first thing I noticed was that the gate/ramp on it was only about 4 feet long. Given the trailor's platform was about 2' off the ground, that's a 6" per foot incline. The previous owner mostly used it to haul dirtbikes, 4 wheelers etc., and didn't have any issues.

My poor cousin didn't have a remote chance of loading that sucker. The front lip hit the ramp before the front wheels even touched it. He ended up paying 3-400$ and spending a lot of garage time building a ramp that folded and reached about 6-7' in length. He ended up being more proud of that ramp than the trailor.

Bottom line, as previously mentioned, make sure the obvious [brakes/lighting/etc.] are good and that a car as low as the NSX can actually get up on to it.

The trick with any trailer an an NSX is likely to be some 2x6's that you place on the ground the direction the wheels need to go and then lower the ramp(s) down onto. This way the car has a smaller "step up" before it gets to the ramps and therefore the angle works and the car goes up without ripping the splitter off.

The trick with any trailer an an NSX is likely to be some 2x6's that you place on the ground the direction the wheels need to go and then lower the ramp(s) down onto. This way the car has a smaller "step up" before it gets to the ramps and therefore the angle works and the car goes up without ripping the splitter off.

>> HERE

-j-

Back