• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Performance's Turbo Kit for 91 NSX

nice torque...well I cant really call that a curve now can I? :D looks like 11:1 afr at wot? not sure about nsxs but in other cars thats pretty safe. looks good!

Great #'s. Great tourqe curve, looks very very fast and streetable. The 11:1 is nice and conservativly safe. Looks like you had a nice tune done on it.

How many miles are currently on your engine?
I am very curious to hear responses from those individuals who say that anything over 400rwhp will push the limits of the stock motor. By looking at the graphs, it appears that his A/F is roughly around 11.1:1. Over the years, on my last three turbo'ed cars, I have never had or seen any motors go with an A/F ratio that safe/rich.

I am curious to see if the stock headgasket will last though?

All of the NSX turbo gurus, get in here and comment on this.

Good job and thanks for the pics, numbers, and graphs.

Nathan

Thats a tough one to actually explain, and I don't know if I can give you the actual correct answer for it, but I can tell you from personal experience, that is the way it goes. I will give it a shot, just don't take it as fact, just a couple possible theories.

A bad launch will not always result in a higher trap speed. But on a run where the launch is not a bog, but more of a wheelspin(too much power or whatever), then when the tires actually start to regain grip.. it's kinda a slingshot result. Not sure if that is an actual event, or if thats just what it feels like.

Another aspect to consider is this, generally when you have issues with spin, you end up hitting 2nd gear sooner then you would normally.. probably because your bouncing off the rev limiter and your brain just says its time to shift. Well now that your in the next gear sooner, you'll end up being deeper into 4th(or whatever gear you go through the traps in), thus are capable of a higher mph in the same distance.

Like I said, I really have no idea, but these seem like the logical possibilities to me, of why it happens. How is that?

A bad launch will never result in a "higher trapspeed" it will just result in a lower ET than the car is capable of.

Trapspeed is a very good indication of the horspower of a vehicle. ET is obviously a function of power and traction.

Dylan

I have been waiting for my turbo housing and AEM EMS for 3 weeks. Apparently it will arrive this Friday.

The instructions are not the greatest so definitly have someone that has experience with turbo's with you.

We bolted the water pump in the trunk, and the fan for it in the left rear wheel well. There will definitly be some bending involved, and some drilling.

I trying to figure out how to put my pics up, I can send them via e-mail.

pm your e-mail address.

How many miles are currently on your engine?
I am very curious to hear responses from those individuals who say that anything over 400rwhp will push the limits of the stock motor. By looking at the graphs, it appears that his A/F is roughly around 11.1:1. Over the years, on my last three turbo'ed cars, I have never had or seen any motors go with an A/F ratio that safe/rich.

I am curious to see if the stock headgasket will last though?

All of the NSX turbo gurus, get in here and comment on this.

Good job and thanks for the pics, numbers, and graphs.

Nathan

I am no guru, but I'll comment a little.

Let me state my disclaimer: These are my own oppinions so take them for what they are. What is my own personal experience doesn't make it so.

ANWAY, 11.1 seems extreme in my book. The reason why alot of tunners are tunning cars down this low is because of the kind of insurance a tune like this offers. While going from a 11.1 to a 12.0 a/f may only yeild 10 more hp.....it offers alot in the eyes of insurance and reliability for the tuner. Now for the car, that maybe not so. To talk about the good side of running that rich, fuel has wonderful cooling properties and IE can help lower combustion temperatures if you have a bad intercooler set-up, whatever that may be. Also because of the cooler temps and the more availible fuel to air ratio the combustion cycle is slowed and delayed helping to prevent detonation.

Now some negatives. Running that rich you hose the cylinder walls with fuel and causing what they call cylinder wash, where you wash alot of the oil off of the cylinder walls which can lead to premature wear. Is this a true phenomenon....? I have no personal experience with it but something to keep in mind. Also if the car has cats on it, running this much fuel will cause some combustion in the exhaust at times because there is still un-burnt fuel after it leaves the chamber basically eating up the cats. Also this is pretty hard on o2 sensors for the same reasons.

I believe added fuel can be a safty of margin that most tunners will add to keep the customer from not blowing up there car if conditions are not looked after, but as for ideal......probly not. A 12:1 or high 11's should be plenty of fuel to keep cylinder combustion happy as long as IAT's are were they should be, and the tunner has properly set-up the timing curve. Timing and hot intake temps are where you are going to get your problems arrising from.

Lets leave timing to another discussion though.

Now to the results! IMPRESSIVE! That torque curve is just amazing. And appears to flaten out around 3800-4000 so I am guessing full boost is really stabalized right in that area. Also the torque seems to hold impressivly well through the pull. I am currious what A/R HP ended up setting you up with on the 35R. I am sure they didn't go through switching the flange to upgrade to the GT turbo so I'm guessing its still on a T3 housing and flange on the turbine side. For such low boost and small displacment this really makes my engineer mind think, but I will keep my engineering idea's to myself.

Well fun fun! Exciting times in the FI community. I have a couple more questions as well, but I will PM them to you.

FI is really being introduced to the NSX comunity in a major way. I hope all of you know, you gotta pay to play. There is no perfect solution and the tunner road is a expensive and time consuming one. Those of you looking for a full-safe method of big HP forget about it. Those who are realistic and understanding will love the rewards of a tunner car.

Can't wait to see some more results from the other two guys with kits coming.

Best of luck

J. R.

Nice post. I am individual that is not looking for huge power. Realistically I would like to get to 400 rwhp on the stock motor safely.

As of now, it appears that this kit, may be the answer. My other solution is the CTSC, that I have had sitting in my garage since the end of last year. If I installed it on my 91, I would be looking at about 362 rwhp on a dyno that doesnt read as high like the ones out in cali :)

However, having the extra ponies and a lot more torque from the turbo system is very, very intriguing. So, that why I am trying to decide.

Then again, I have a great, great, NSX mechanic in my area...Barnman. He highly recommends to run the CTSC and forget it. He wont install the turbo system, and wont support it either. So, that also ways on things.

Anyway, I am getting off topic. I cant wait to see the next couple of kits. Hurry up and get the parts and get them installed, tuned, and dynoed.

Later,
Nathan

Thanks for all the feedback on the kits. We strive for the highest possible quality. We are going to look at sponsoring the NSX Prime Community and maybe put together a group purchase for those of you interested. If you have questions on the kit please feel free to PM me and I will answer them.

Also, if someone could tell me who I need to contact for site sponsorship, that would be great.

Thanks

Jimmy:biggrin:

Someone from HP finally chime in. Love to see this in person. Is HP looking for Demo cars accross the states? :biggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback on the kits. We strive for the highest possible quality. We are going to look at sponsoring the NSX Prime Community and maybe put together a group purchase for those of you interested. If you have questions on the kit please feel free to PM me and I will answer them.

Also, if someone could tell me who I need to contact for site sponsorship, that would be great.

Thanks

A bad launch will never result in a "higher trapspeed" it will just result in a lower ET than the car is capable of.

Trapspeed is a very good indication of the horspower of a vehicle. ET is obviously a function of power and traction.

Dylan

A bad launch will never result in a lower ET, it will result in a higher(slower)ET. And that really depends on what you mean by a bad launch. Do you mean bog? Or do you mean spin? I personally have spun my AWD at different rpms through 1st and 2nd gear, and I usually end up with a higher trap speed(133 vs. 131) then my runs with good 60ft times and 1/8 mile times. This conversation is way off topic and I was just responding to some earlier comments regarding the HP kit owners 1/4 times/mph.

PM's have been answered guys... thanks again

BTW I know Performance is misspelled in my user name.... it seems HP_Performance was taken. We like to keep the same name on the forums so we don't get confused. Maybe a mod can double check to make sure it is an active user, and if not..change my user name to HP_Performance

Wow this seems to be the number one kit to consider as of now. Going to Cali in July, hope to see Jon's car by then.
Ton,
It is the #1 kit in term of bang for the buck, quality, and goodies that come with it. FactorX and Lovefab are also #1 in my mind in terms of quality. Got to be fair, their turbo system are work of art.

You figure only $8k for the kit + $2k for the installation you are set to go with HP. That is pocket change for you. 400~500+rwhp easily. Go big or go home. Seriously if you have not experienced FI, even 50rwhp more on NSX is enough to scare the crap out of you. If you want a bargin kit, Boostzilla will fit you but, I wouldn't go there. HP Turbo all the way in $8k~$10k range, it is worth the price difference.

By looking at the graphs, it appears that his A/F is roughly around 11.1:1. Over the years, on my last three turbo'ed cars, I have never had or seen any motors go with an A/F ratio that safe/rich.
Nathan,
While the A/F ratio is important. That doesn't mean the motor will last, really depend on the power level. Things break, most don't talk about mishaps, this is reason why many high power NSX owners built the motor. Simply can't push the motor beyond its limit no matter how well it is tuned. Some people blow the motor at just 400rwhp. Some push it as far as 454rwhp+ until something break.

MSCperformance tested and pushed the stock internal to the limit, he had it properly tuned, no short cuts. Limit is limit:
http://www.mscperformance.com/SCpg9.html
http://www.mscperformance.com/SCpg6.html

Many people probably wish they are in your position. That is a very nice issue to have.

Since you have not yet installed the CTSC, you can get all of your money back by selling it. Probably get quite a bit more than what you paid since you got it during the group buy and get the HP turbo. If you do decide to install the CTSC. There is also high boost option with AEM EMS, 400+rwhp has been done with CTSC. Contact Autowave if you like to run 9~11psi.

Nathan,
While the A/F ratio is important. That doesn't mean the motor will last, really depend on the power level. Things break, most don't talk about mishaps, this is reason why many high power NSX owners built the motor. Simply can't push the motor beyond its limit no matter how well it is tuned. Some people blow the motor at just 400rwhp. Some push it as far as 454rwhp+ until something break.

MSCperformance tested and pushed the stock internal to the limit, he had it properly tuned, no short cuts. Limit is limit:
http://www.mscperformance.com/SCpg9.html
http://www.mscperformance.com/SCpg6.html

Many people probably wish they are in your position. That is a very nice issue to have.

Since you have not yet installed the CTSC, you can get all of your money back by selling it. Probably get quite a bit more than what you paid since you got it during the group buy and get the HP turbo. If you do decide to install the CTSC. There is also high boost option with AEM EMS, 400+rwhp has been done with CTSC. Contact Autowave if you like to run 9~11psi.

Wow, I never thought that most people would like to be in my situation, thats pretty funny. You are right, I could sell it and my headers and exhaust and get the HP kit, clutch, and install for the same amount. The big thing that I would like to see is the standard turbo and not the GT35R upgrade. I am curious as to what the 57trim will make on 7psi. This will be a great comparison to make with the CTSC. When is your boy Scorp going to be getting his in?

Thanks,
Nathan

Our base kit comes with a 60MM turbo, not the 57mm. The upgrade to the GT35R would be the ball bearing version. They will make similar power, however, the GT35 is slightly better wheel and it is ball bearing.

Call us with any other questions

Jimmy :biggrin:

Our base kit comes with a 60MM turbo, not the 57mm. The upgrade to the GT35R would be the ball bearing version. They will make similar power, however, the GT35 is slightly better wheel and it is ball bearing.

Call us with any other questions

Jimmy :biggrin:

Sorry about that. I thought I read that the standard kit was dropping to a 57mm. Thank you for giving me the correct information.

Can you attest to the spooling characteristics of the 60mm? How much longer is the spool time compared with the GT35R? 300,500,1000 RPMs?

Thanks again,
Nathan

Ball Bering is a little quicker on the spool by about 3-4 hundred RPM. I would say the major benefit from the upgrade to the GT35R is the Wheel differences. You will love either.

Thanks for the questions

Wondering if you guys will do a group buy for this kit in the future, I'd be interested.

Jason is right though, go big or go home.:biggrin:

We are going to try to get a group buy together for the NSX Prime members... or we may just run a special for the guys who are ready now vs the guys that want to wait.

As far as durability goes, what specifically are you worried about?

All the tubing comes with a limited lifetime warrenty made of mild steel, coated by Jett Hott which comes with a 3 year warrenty!!

All the clamps are high end T-bolts, not worm clamps

Couplers are made by HOSE...high quality silicone

Air-water intercooler is all aluminum with quality cores. As long as you don't use mountain dew instead of water to cool it, it will last forever:tongue:

Turbos are made by Garrett, i think they speak for themselves

Wastegates are Tial...again they speak for themselves

BOV are billet BOV's made for HP Peformance. We have been using them for over 5 years with no issues...you can upgrade to tial or HKS if that is your liking

If installed properly, this kit will go the distance, I know that. The longest running kit is 3 years, and i haven't heard of an issue yet.

Please let me know if you still have concerns, and what they are.

Jimmy

ccathey, can you post some pics of where your waterpump is? And where you put the water cell? I saw where it was on the directions, but I would like to see where you put it...

I'll show you mine once I figure out how to resize pics...

As far as durability goes, what specifically are you worried about?

Im not worried about the durability of the kit as I am the engine itself, The kit seems to be top quality in terms of materials. I think like a lot of others here I am very interested, but just want to see how the stock engine holds up at that kind of power over time.
If I didn't have other financial expenses right now....I probably would be jumping on the group buy.
Looking forward to seeing how others go though for now!

Back