• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HPDE insurance for a track event?

I'm going to track my car at NSXPO for the first time and see that they offer 1 event HPDE insurance for physical damage to the car.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments about whether or not I should consider buying HPDE insurance.

Prior to participating in the HPDE at the NSXPO in Las Vegas last year, I contacted my insurance agent. He said that since the event was not being timed, my standard insurance would protect me. I suggest that you contact your agent to see what coverage you have for HPDE events.

Have fun, I did!!!!

Mario

PS; If you are a newbie, like I was, check out my thread discussing my HPED experience, before and during.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142642

When I contacted my insurance Liberty Mutual today, they told me that they thought that it would not be covered because they have an exclusion for "off-road" driving and that a race track is considered off road even if there is no timing and no racing. I explained that it was a driving school with an instructor teaching how to drive a sports car and she still said it would not be covered. She went on to say that the car wouldn't be covered for damage and she also thought that there would be no liability coverage. I was surprised because I though my insurance would cover the HPDE as long as there was no racing or timing done.

P.S. Thanks for the link to your driving experience. It was very informative.

Last edited:
Very useful, Thanks!

I have been looking around for insurance for trackdays to no avail, i went anyways and promise my self that Id would be really careful. Well, that lasted a all of about half the warm up lap.

Bear in mind there is a $2000-5000 deductible. They don't cover damage to another car, the track, or to your body. Only to your car's fenders and bumpers.

I am glad these guys are here, but at the prices they charge for the coverage they give, someone is making a nice profit.

I looked at their insurance coverage and there is a 10% deductible with a minimum of $2,000 and a maximum of $5,000 in deductibles. That $2,000 minimum deductible makes the insurance less attractive. But on the other hand, if the car was totaled, the insurance would cover 90% of the value.... Tough decision.

Re: The Insurance game..........er, con.

......but at the prices they charge for the coverage they give, someone is making a nice profit.
Yeah they are. That became pretty clear when we had that thread about insurance at Skippy's driving school.

Not long after that, I had a potential renter for my race car balk at being completely responsible for damage, pointing to the max liability from Skippy with insurance. I told him I don't have the business volume to be an insurance company on the side.

I then penciled out some numbers and it quickly became apparent that Skippy does not do this lucrative insurance gig for driver convenience. It easily follows that this cash cow is actually their main focus.

There's not much rational about perception of risk. :rolleyes: I wish my uncle had taught me that in high school instead of advising me to be an engineer. I'd be underwriting for Lloyd's of London.......on commission. :cool:

I think the insurance is well worth the fee- my son totally a car on a hpde event and guess what- no coverage from our regular insurance company and we did not buy track insurance! last time we went to the track without insurance.
jh

Steve if you can't find a workable plan don't fret........the probability that you will hurt your car enough to prohibit your return to the west coast is low.But you have to respect a turbo nsx....we had such a car get pretty twisted at xpo 04 at the glen..but the 2011 track is more forgiving then the armco rich glen.

docjohn, this will be the first time my car is on a track, with many mods and never tested at speed, I'm just wondering if I should buy some insurance. I was at the Glen and remember the turbo car and its driver who experienced the track for the first time and totaled the car at "the bus stop".

You know Steven it all depends on how you drive. I would almost never want insurance for myself, as I never push to 9/10 let alone 10/10, I just stay within a comfortable range and try to improve my driving in small increments. I actually feel safer on the track than when I am driving back home on the highway. It is always OTHER drivers I worry about, on the streer or on the track. There is always at least one clown at every HPDE event I am at that winds up doing something super stupid.

If you are worried, then just get it. Give yourself the peace of mind. Since you aren't tracking regularly, this isn't a major investment. It's when you do 20 events a year every year that the cost adds up.

When you see me coming just pull over and turn on your hazards, when I pass you are good to go again. I won't have to go fender to fender with you around a turn... haha

I'm only kidding, I hope you are aware there is no passing here without point by's and only on straights. For the most part, it will be you and the track, some sun, and a batload of fun.

Last edited:
Turbo2go, I understand what you're saying. I used to compete in Formula 2000 and am familiar with driving at less than 10/10.
My concerns are that I've never driven this car at speed so I don't know how it will handle the extensive mods, OEM brakes, turbo boost and off boost deceleration. At the Glen in 04 I warned a newbie about the rapid deceleration when coming off boost in his new turbo NSX. The following day he lost control coming off boost and pit it in the wall.
I think I will buy a high level of insurance for peace of mind.

PS. I'll be happy to get out of your way and point you by on the track.

Last edited:
I have also been told that my insurance will cover me as long as no timing devices, trophy's etc. However all auto policies are not the same. I have been doing HPDE for 11 years now and even with points on turns have never had an issue. I have spun the car 10 times but at the right track you are fine. Just be careful and listen to your instructor. It seems most people screw up when they first get out to the track and think they know more than they do. I have had students scare the hell out of me because they thought they knew what they were doing out there. Listen and learn and you shouldn't have a problem.

Back