• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hybrid owners?

ChopsJazz said:
My wife and I own two, a Civic and an Insight. Gotta love 65 mpg! :biggrin:
dang - quit bragging!

our prius only gets 48ish in town, mid 50+ freeway trips. still, better than a sharp stick in the eye :)

My wife and I, both with 50 mile commutes, traded in our Nissan Armada and Acura TL for two Civic Hybrids. We went from 14MPG & 26MPG to 50MPG for both. In other terms, 55 gallons / week to 20 gallons / week @ $3/gallon when we traded we were saving $100 per week. Plus insurance and maintenance costs are much less.

I have Aprilia Scarabeo 50 and Yamaho Zuma 50 scooter, they get over 100 mpg. The hybrid part is when you go up steep hills, you stick your feet out to get the extra boost. Works perfectly, except my shoe expense is outrageous! LOL :biggrin:

EIFFEL said:
I have Aprilia Scarabeo 50 and Yamaho Zuma 50 scooter, they get over 100 mpg. The hybrid part is when you go up steep hills, you stick your feet out to get the extra boost. Works perfectly, except my shoe expense is outrageous! LOL :biggrin:
i like it - reduced fuel consumption and exercise!

My babies,

sisters.jpg

One year apart (Insight is 2001, NSX - 2000). Same paint (Silverstone). Built on the same production line.

i have a 50mi commute and recently chose the little Toyota Yaris @ 40mpg. I had heard that the supplemental battery in the hybrids have a limited lifespan and an outrageous replacement cost ($2000???). This info was enough to keep me from ever considering a hybrid. Anybody care to give additional insight to batt life/cost?

Not that it helps us much driving 24k miles per year. The warranty on the hybrid system on Civic is 80k miles. At least Honda is trying to ease the concern by offering the longer warranty. I also feel that the technology and aftermarket will expand in the hybrid market and prices will drop quickly on the technology. I read a couple months ago about a couple companies that are already offering hybrid upgrades for the Prius to get something like 80MPG. Instead of turbos and superchargers it will be batteries and electric motor upgrades.

rjp said:
i have a 50mi commute and recently chose the little Toyota Yaris @ 40mpg. I had heard that the supplemental battery in the hybrids have a limited lifespan and an outrageous replacement cost ($2000???). This info was enough to keep me from ever considering a hybrid. Anybody care to give additional insight to batt life/cost?
I could be wrong but I am fairly certain that Toyota is offering a 10-year warranty on the batteries, etc.

It has been documented time and time again that gas would have to go up drastically in price and you'd have to drive a gazillion miles per year to make financial sense. But there's a lot to be said for getting the carpool lane with only one person (something CA is offering on a limited basis), and knowing that you're doing a little bit to help the trade balance problem and keep some money in your own pockets.

I tried like hell to get my wife to buy an RX400h when we replaced our old RX300AWD but she hated the vehicle and I was less than impressed.

I have driven several Prius and think they are incredible cars, for what they are. I also have driven the new Lexus GS450 and was blown away. Incredible power. I know it just got smoked in a recent multi-car comparo in one of the trade rags but I think they missed the point.

rjp said:
I had heard that the supplemental battery in the hybrids have a limited lifespan and an outrageous replacement cost ($2000???)

Both Honda and Toyota offer long warranties on the batteries. Mine is 6 years old and no hint of a battery problem. They use very sophisticated battery charging algorithms that prevent over-charging and over-discharging. They keep the batteries in great condition. Don't know of any Insight owners that have had battery issues. Typical FUD talk.

I test drove a CL600 with the brabus package on it a few weeks ago. When I floored the car I got 8 MPGbut man what a ride.:biggrin:

I've seen up to $5,000 for replacement with labor and all costs included for the Insight. It's what scared me off of them about a year and a half ago.

Also, they used value has risen on them. I could get into a 75,000 mile one about a year ago for $8,000. Wasn't hard to find (for a limited production vehicle). Now they are $8,000 for 120,000 mile+ cars. You can find a deal sometimes, but it's usually with a high mileage battery.

I care about the environment as much as the next guy, but, I still dunno why people will pay $3,000 more for a usedcar to save $1,000 on gas.

Back