• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hydro-lock

So I went to Rauch Creek with some Jeep buddies in my Toyota pickup. Well, It was doing fine, until we hit the second obsticle, I think it was called "Drain plug."

Anyway, so my roommate thinks it would be a good idea for me to attempt it. Well I tried to drop in and I get high centered. So the group starts bouncing my rear end until my front tires grab...and grab they did. The grabbed so well I dove into the water at full trottle...which ment the intake was sucking h20, which caused the truck stalled out in the middle of the puddle...bad times.

What makes matters worse is I tried starting it on the trail, not good.

We did some trouble shooting ie, drain the oil...not much water there, pull out the air filter (soaked), intake plenum to the throttle body (more water), and pulled the plugs...H20 in the 1st & 6th cylender (I think). So we were told that if we towed the truck in gear it would cause the engin to turn over and pump the water out. Not so much did that work. All it ended up doing was dragging my rear tires.

So now I have a dead pickup that only makes a single click when I try to turn it over. Now I wouldn't care much if the truck got body damage, or even some minor mechanical damage, but this is going to take a lot of money away from my NSX!

I hydrolocked my ranger before. I also tried to crank her over with water in the cylinders. They were in ALL cylinders. As for pumping it out, I hope you tried that with the plugs out obviously. I got my water out with an air compressor and a long slender nozzle to slip in through the plug holes.

I also had a click too after I changed all fluids and got it ready to fire back up. Turned out I cooked my starter. So I replaced it. It started right up but there was a slight knock. Drove it anyways. The next day I threw the rod in the front cylinder (4 banger) EVERYTHING, block, pan and all, except for crank disappeared from the cylinder sleeve down under the front two cylinders.

Either try to manually jump the starter/solenoid while it's in neutral using cables directly to the solenoid. Or just unbolt the starter and bring it to kragen/checker or autozone. That's most likely your click. Unless of course you drained the battery.......

Good luck, hope you didn't bend a rod the way I did. If it knocks when you fire it back up, NOT good.

Back