• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I do not want to start a fight but: the pleasure of an AT NSX.

I have now had three other NSX drivers drive my '94 AT. Without exception they have all been very favourably impressed with the car. The latest guest driver suggested that I post this.
I previously owned a MT NSX. Both cars are great, but the AT with the EPS (power steering) is such a pleasure in traffic, in daily driving, and in spirited driving.
I live in the DC area and the traffic can be dreadful at times. A clutch is NOT the best thing to have in those circumstance. On the other hand, spirited driving through the mountains and Shenandoah Valley are not inhibited by the transmission. It automatically responds very smoothly and can be manually shifted as well. In all conditions it has proven itself to be every bit an NSX.
The AT is not like the one in your granny's Oldsmobile. Shifts are quick and sure. Redline shifts are a darn sight faster than I could manage with a MT.
I know that the "MT-or-nothing" crowd will chime in with their derisive comments but as the old adage goes, "Don't knock it 'till you've tried it." There is no reason to turn up your nose at your AT brothers and sisters!

Good post -- have never driven at AT NSX, but suspect it is pretty good. One of the reasons I don'd daily drive my NSX to work is due to the awful commute i have - stop & go traffic on an interstate. Sometimes I think the AT NSX would be the good answer. Hey, I think any NSX, either MT or AT is a very good thing. Think the "MT -or nothing" is overblown. Happy Motoring, and thanks for your post!

Personal preference and there is nothing wrong with an auto if that is what you want. When I was younger, I had a manual car as a daily driver and have since switched to autos. With the amount of traffic we have in NJ daily driving a manual gets old.

Good point about the don't knock it until you try it. I am dead set against paddle shift cars but truth be told I have never drive one. I think I need to try it as I have been known to knock it.

Just to clarify, mine is not a paddle shift so it's the console shifter...just like a MT :)

Just to clarify, mine is not a paddle shift so it's the console shifter...just like a MT :)
The only AT NSX I've had the pleasure of driving was a 2005, so the later version.
It was darned good for a torque-converter system, to say the least.
I am one of those "gotta be a manual" type guys, but that has to be taken in the context of maximizing fun and not factoring in things like the possible drudgery of a daily commute.
I do believe that the non-assisted manual cars are more engaging at or approaching the limit, but understand that the time spent driving on public roads are (for reasonable people) a whole lot below that.

As good as the NSX can be as a year-round car, I'm more than happy to savor it as a 'weekend' toy where I can wring it out as much as possible!
Brian

Auto 94 vs manual 94 isn't a big deal. It's only 20 hp and you can get that with headers/exhaust. Now 97 A v. M is a 40 hp difference. Hard to go auto in later years. It's too bad in 97 they didn't go to a 6 speed auto with the 290 hp 3.2.

Doing a tl engine and tranny swap with 300 hp might be fun in auto.

I am one of the 3 people that the original poster mentioned and I agree with what he said. The AT on the NSX is very good and provides a great driving experience. I agree that you should give it consideration rather than ruling it out.

I have a 96-T Auto with the Paddle shift. I also had 2 92' NSX MT in the pass. I love my AT. It's fun in every way. I can have it in auto and drive like a normal car should drive or I can switch to the paddle/sport shift and have fun with it. :biggrin:

Interesting thread to me. I didn't drive an auto before buying my manual NSXs (last month). Partly it's because my car is a weekend 'fun' car and I want to be as involved as possible. But it is hard work in stop-start traffic.

One question: is the Honda auto smart - smarter than the ones in the Civic and Accord? I've had both of those and the unnerving thing is that they have this habit of deciding to drop a gear at the worst possible point in, say, driving around a curve. Frequently I found they were changing much later than a driver would change with a manual gearbox. The sudden momentary loss of power and torque change would throw off the balance of a turning car, making for an unseemly lurch. Ruined all the fun and feel of enthusiastic driving.

Not wishing to start a flame fest, and more than happy to be educated if the NSX auto does it differently.

(And FWIW, I've happily driven a LOT of autos as daily drivers in the past.)

I am sure it's a good car. But if I can't rev match, heel and toe and double clutch it takes half the fun away.

I am sure it's a good car. But if I can't rev match, heel and toe and double clutch it takes half the fun away.

I concede that on the track, there is no substitute for the manual gearbox. I would not have it any other way. For driving on the street, even on a road that cries out for spirited driving, this automatic is great fun with a strong dose of ease in driving.
I am enjoying the responses to my original post, learning a bit more about the car, and pleased that it has not garnered any of the AT condemnation comments I have seen so often on this forum.
As to shift points of the Honda-smart transmission vs. the NSX, I have never driven the former and have had no such problems with the latter. Perhaps others can chime in.

I concede that on the track, there is no substitute for the manual gearbox. I would not have it any other way. For driving on the street, even on a road that cries out for spirited driving, this automatic is great fun with a strong dose of ease in driving.
I am enjoying the responses to my original post, learning a bit more about the car, and pleased that it has not garnered any of the AT condemnation comments I have seen so often on this forum.
As to shift points of the Honda-smart transmission vs. the NSX, I have never driven the former and have had no such problems with the latter. Perhaps others can chime in.

I don't know... The street is where I am the MOST bored... So at least having something to shift adds a smidgen of fun. In slow traffic though... Yeah... Auto all the way.

But then the other issue is you have to explain to everyone why your low slung exotic looking super sports car says "P-R-N-D-2-1". There will always be that disappointed "oh it's an auto?"... It's bad enough there's already the "oh it's an Acura"? ...

LOL... I know that's vain but you certainly can't have wings and scoops and aftermarket wheels and stuff when the car is an auto because then you look like a complete tool. Stock is OK. It's actually the sexy body shape that undermines the acceptance factor of the automatic which is probably one of the best autos out there.

Last edited:
I have driven an Auto, ('91), many years ago and walked away quite impressed with the throttle response and tranny. Nothing wrong with an Auto,
I have and will always be an individual who appreciates rowing the gears, rev matching etc etc...

Regardless of transmission, as others have stated, you're still driving a Beautifl NSX. :)

Happy Motoring!

I swore that I would never own an auto. Now that I have to live with Chicago traffic I swear I will never own another manual. Isn't it funny how perspective changes based on uncontrollable factors?

There's nothing wrong with an auto NSX. I don't know why some of the members have this elitist attitude and have to put down the owners with one that I've seen in other threads:rolleyes:.

Rather than embracing the comradary, you stand there and question why they bought an auto instead of the almighty stick in your hand?

I don't know... The street is where I am the MOST bored... So at least having something to shift adds a smidgen of fun. In slow traffic though... Yeah... Auto all the way.

But then the other issue is you have to explain to everyone why your low slung exotic looking super sports car says "P-R-N-D-2-1". There will always be that disappointed "oh it's an auto?"... It's bad enough there's already the "oh it's an Acura"? ...

No offense but who gives a sh$t what these people think? Half the time they're driving a POS anyways.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with an auto NSX. I don't know why some of the members have this elitist attitude and have to put down the owners with one that I've seen in other threads:rolleyes:.

Weird; I can't see anyone starting that particular fight!

Do you have an auto? I'd appreciate an answer to the question I posed above from some auto-owners.

One question: is the Honda auto smart - smarter than the ones in the Civic and Accord? I've had both of those and the unnerving thing is that they have this habit of deciding to drop a gear at the worst possible point in, say, driving around a curve. Frequently I found they were changing much later than a driver would change with a manual gearbox. The sudden momentary loss of power and torque change would throw off the balance of a turning car, making for an unseemly lurch. Ruined all the fun and feel of enthusiastic driving

I assume it is, because I experienced nothing like that when driving the Auto NSX being discussed in this thread.

Should be pointed out that the 94-05 F-Matic autos are fare more desirable than the 90-93 standard automatics,
As the latter doesn't have the "manual" mode.

That being said one of my daily drivers is a Legend with a 4 spd auto, (yes i looked for the manual, they are impossibly rare in Europe) even though i'd probably choose a manual if i head the choice.
It's such a bonus in traffic and city driving (especially down town Amsterdam).

It's quite quick in "Manual shifting" for a automatic once you get the hang of it and despite the huge gear-ratios it's quite quick and has tons of torque.
That alone makes is a sublime cruiser.

imagine if the nsx came with a 3.2 auto,,,,hmmmm,,,,,dont think they could not make an auto that can handle the extra power ,,they can,,they just didnt ,,,mabey because it would be as fast ,or,faster than most manual drivers,think about it.

For the AT owners out there, how easy is it to launch an NSX from a complete stop and redline every gear?

What methods do you use? Hold the brake and rev, and let go of the brake or neutral bomb it?

Back