• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I think I got what you all want

The July 20th report from the president of Honda states specifically about the < NSX successor >
"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor".

So all you who have prayed to your Budda and whatever will have your dreams come true. Lets start saving our coins. I will start with a neighborhood carwash. I will hire some good looking gals to bring in the customers and then I will use causal labor to wash the cars. Oh in about 3 years and 150 or so car washes and I will have my down payment. Wow!
Really I am so excited that they will come out with a supercar. :biggrin:

Manny

Anyone know of a good ponzi scheme to make the cash for the v-10?

I think, I need a drink...

GeNSX

While I'm really glad Honda has decided to keep the NSX alive with no compromises (it appears), I'm not sure it will be what I want.

I suspect this new car will be priced well above $100K somewhere in Ford GT territory. That will probably be out of my price range unless I consider a used one in 10 years or so.

I would have liked to see a new Acura that was something more along the lines of a Lotus Elise with a updated S2000 engine. I don't expect Honda will do this, however, which is why I bought my Elise.

-Jim

I truly see you point. Just like the "All New Lotus Esprit", even when it comes in '08, we won't afford it till 2010. By that time, there will be a flood of other great cars out there. The current NSX might still be the best bet. We (or should I say "I") will have to wait another 5 to 7 years to even consider it.

Holy crap, Honda's finally broken the six-cylinder barrier. This is going to be great.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on boys and girls get ready for what you have been waiting for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only 3 more years !!!!!!!!

Lime Green NSX said:
Holy crap, Honda's finally broken the six-cylinder barrier. This is going to be great.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on boys and girls get ready for what you have been waiting for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only 3 more years !!!!!!!!

Honda may have broken the 6 cylinder barrier, but people are still whining. Why a V10? why not a larger V6, V8, IMA, Electric, Turbo, Diesel, Jet, Steam, Rodents, Nuclear....etc.

I guess you cant please everybody.

I dont understand why Honda would release a V-10 before a V-8. The V-8 seems more logical b/c of the other applications that it can be used for (i.e. Ridgeline, RL). I think Honda will release a V8 NSX and a top of the line V-10 NSX-R.

develop two new engines for one sportscar when it's last generation wasn't exactly flying out the dealer's doors... nope

V-10. hell yes. it's sort of a unique engine, not the too common V8, and not the stereotypical V12 (which are still sweet) Cars with V10's have personality

I'm personally stoked as heck to be able to dream about owning it. Maybe it'll be a good 30th birthday present in 8 and a half years to myself :biggrin:

Since Honda is testing V8 trucks, I think the Ridgeline and RL will get a V8 , while the new NSX will get a V10 , being their super car.

Wow! Defintely over 100K. For sure it will bring lotsa attention to all dealership. While you're at it, you might as well pick up a new TL or RL :) 15 years after it's release, it's going to be still exotic just like the current NSX.

Do you all really think that this car will top six figures? You have to remember that nissan is planning on bringing the GT-R here with a target price of around $60,000. That car in and of itself will be a monster, can Honda afford to push its own price that much higher than one of it most direct competitors? I know, some will argue that they aren't being that one will be a six twin turbo and the other a v-10, but I think they'll compete more than people think.

vtec888 said:
Wow! Defintely over 100K.
The current NSX is already over 100,000 US$ on our side of the pond (up to 90,000 Euros in Germany) so the successor will most likely be in an unaffordable price range here (at least for me), also considering the extremely high costs for insurance and fuel (now 1 liter - not gallon! - of premium is nearly 1.30 Euros and may be over 2 Euros in 3 years or more when the rise continues like it does now).

A Honda for more than 100,000 Euros won't be a success here, not now and much less in 3 or 4 years.

Maybe Honda decided that a modest sized V10 would be desirable in the Ridgeline, Pilot, MDX, future trucks, etc and that helped them make their decision?

Or maybe they're coming out with a modular design V8 and simply added 2 more cylinders for the NSX.

Or maybe Honda's coming out with inline 5 cylinder engines... Hmmm.....

Time will tell and it's fun to speculate.

-Jim

Last edited:
"Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor"

Well, the way I read it, its not going to be an NSX.
Rather some 10 cylinder monster I do not really want, or can afford.

The big thing is..........
Are they going to try and make a profit with this car?
Or loose $$$ on it as it's their flagship like the NSX?

I understand that everyone would probably prefer not to see the car in the 100K range, (low 100K I hope) but that is really not that expensive in today's market.

Look at what a Porsche Carrera C4S, the non-turbo engine, turbo bodied car is selling for, 90K today. That is a car that you see all of the time around the bay area. In a few years, that car will likely be 100K, so I would not be at all surprised to see an Acura supercar enter the market at 100K.

I just hope it grabs me the way the NSX did the first time I saw one. If not, I will hopefully just keep my NSX.

Well all that I can say on the subject that I hope the engine mounts are the same :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

that'll be fun seeing a mid-eng, transversally mounted V10. You thought the current NSX was hard to work with, try mounting a twin turbo package on that (although, I don't imagine you'll need to :))

Keep in mind, Nissan will take the first swing in 2007-08 when they release the Nissan/Infiniti/Skyline? GTR. Projected to be the 3.5 liter (maybe bumped to 3.8) twin turbo, in the 400hp range. It'll have the updated Altessa AWD that the previous GTR had. Price range $50k-$70k

Toyota's going to re-do the Supra as well. I've heard the V10 rumor here too, but I think the most realistic option will be a Indy V8 variant. Price range $90k

If that's the case, Japan's Big Three will be in another sportscar war. Which means they'll be lucky to sell 3000 units/year.

I'm sure people will wait in line to spend the same amount of money buying a japanese car when they can buy a porsche S4 for the same money. They don't seem to understand that Japanese sportscars don't have the same history that Porsche and Ferrari has that allows them to price their cars in the Condominium range. If Honda, Nissan and Toyota prices these cars in the $50-$60k range, they'll sell twice as many. Compete with the Corvette, not the Porsche 911turbo. Japanese sportscar is a very niche market! We are in the minority!

If they make the same mistake in the mid 90's of pricing their cars out of the US market... THIS might be the final run of the Japanese muscle car.

Yeah, well having owned 9 Porsches, I can tell you that I would rather pay the money for a new NSX than a C4S anyday.

jskim9 said:
that'll be fun seeing a mid-eng, transversally mounted V10. You thought the current NSX was hard to work with, try mounting a twin turbo package on that (although, I don't imagine you'll need to :))

Keep in mind, Nissan will take the first swing in 2007-08 when they release the Nissan/Infiniti/Skyline? GTR. Projected to be the 3.5 liter (maybe bumped to 3.8) twin turbo, in the 400hp range. It'll have the updated Altessa AWD that the previous GTR had. Price range $50k-$70k

Toyota's going to re-do the Supra as well. I've heard the V10 rumor here too, but I think the most realistic option will be a Indy V8 variant. Price range $90k

If that's the case, Japan's Big Three will be in another sportscar war. Which means they'll be lucky to sell 3000 units/year.

I'm sure people will wait in line to spend the same amount of money buying a japanese car when they can buy a porsche S4 for the same money. They don't seem to understand that Japanese sportscars don't have the same history that Porsche and Ferrari has that allows them to price their cars in the Condominium range. If Honda, Nissan and Toyota prices these cars in the $50-$60k range, they'll sell twice as many. Compete with the Corvette, not the Porsche 911turbo. Japanese sportscar is a very niche market! We are in the minority!

If they make the same mistake in the mid 90's of pricing their cars out of the US market... THIS might be the final run of the Japanese muscle car.

I dont think Honda or any other Japanese company car build a competitive car that could compete with the C6 Z06 in the same price range. That car is a monster for the money.

I feal sorry for all you guys that won't be able to afford one, but I'm glad it'll top 100k, maybe 125k. Remember in 1990 how many they were selling at 60k?? How special will it be if everyone's got one?? Plus, it'll be markup and flippers hell :(

Maxime said:
I dont think Honda or any other Japanese company car build a competitive car that could compete with the C6 Z06 in the same price range. That car is a monster for the money.

Take a Camaro, give it 500HP, give it an amazing suspension, and have it beat a Ferrari 430 on the track... In the end... most people will want the Ferrari, NSX, etc...

BTW- My friend has modified his VW Bug to the point of beating most cars at the track (local autocrossing & track events)... It's quite an amazing car.. I'm sure it could beat every car I've owned ('03 NSX, V8 Esprit, etc..), but he would trade me for those cars IN A HEART BEAT!!

I highly doubt the new NSX will go for more than $100K. Will they hand build them... probably not. Will the R&D cost anywhere near the same amount for what they put into the original NSX... no way. Will it be as much of a technological advancement as the original... nope. Will good marketing sell this car in the $100+ price range... yes. Will it sell enough to be profitable in that range... maybe. There are just too many factors to consider.

So they could sell twice as many at $60K... so what. Why would Honda want to do that?? For one, it is more profitable to sell 1/2 as many at double the cost - less overhead. If it can compete in the same price range then they'll eat up a good market share. Honda will retain it's elite class flag ship. But more importantly, it will make the car unique and raise its status to the exotic class. A $60K sports car might be considered a great bang for your buck, but never exotic.

I for one hope that Honda decides to compete in the $100K+ class. They have the beginning of a beautiful legacy with the NSX; keep the legacy by competing with the Italians.

Back