• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I think I just got "profiled".

I recently moved to North Carolina and while in the process of getting my new drivers license, I spotted a NC highway patrol officer. I asked him about my window tint, being from California, and the 35% rule in North Carolina. He looked at me and asked me what I was talking about. I answered that the law in North Carolina was 35% tint and asked if it was going to be a problem with my car.

He laughed and said he wasn't too sure about the 35% tint law. He added that if someone should pull me over for a window tint violation, I should tell the officer that he didn't have enough to do. Right!

Guess it just depends on who you deal with.

docdan said:
Pulled over for tint at 70mph on the interstate!?!
It happens. I was pulled over on an interstate highway for window tint. I had brought the car with me when I'd moved from another state and didn't know the tint was illegal in California. At least the cop who pulled me over was courteous; sorry to hear about how you were treated.

DocDan -

Sorry about your experience. It upsets me mad when I hear about people entrusted with authority who, it appears, abuse it. I firmly believe that if you are stopped you must be polite, courteous and comply with the officer's requests/demands. I would do my best not to incite the situation. If I were in your car, I would have tried to discretely get the officer's name and badge number, vehicle number etc. so I could later ID them.

After the humiliation, intimidation and un-officer-like conduct was over I would contact the police department and tell them I wished to make a formal complaint and ask about their procedure. I would not just speak with an officer/supervisor, etc. on the telephone and let them handle it "informally". Big mistake and nothing will ultimately happen.

Put the complaint in writing and make sure a copy is sent to the Police Chief and the Mayor or City Manager. That is the only way these out of control officers are going to be corrected and learn they can't go around abusing people and violating the 4th Amendment. In case you have not read it in a while, or (shudder to think) never, allow me:

THe Constitution of the United States
AMENDMENT IV (1791)

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrant shall issue, but upon probable casue, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the perrson or things to be seized".

Officers have a lot of power; most of them use it judiciously, but some don't. Those are the officers that you always see on TV doing something wrong. They need to be disciplined and terminated if their violative behaviour continues.

The problem is those officers that do this kind of stuff on traffic stops eventually may get promoted and assigned to investigations units where they deal with serious crimes that can result in people being locked up for life or being put to death in some cases. If they are not trained to do the right thing when they are new or young, they may continue to abuse their authority when it really makes a difference and could either send an innocent person to jail or allow a guilty person to go free. A knowledgable attorney will be able to get that officer's personnel file as it relates to disciplinary matters that might ultimately address his creadability. In those cases everyone may lose.

Remember if you do not put it in writing, it did not happen. Once it is in writing it goes into that officer's file and becomes a permanent part of his record and could impact their ability to transfer, promote, get speciality assignments or maybe even pay increases.

Just remember to be polite and comply with their requests at the time; you will NEVER win the argument on the street. The best thing you can do is cooperate and identify yourself.

Now, depending upon how self-assured you are, you may even tell the officer, politely and calmly, you are fully aware of your Constitutional rights and refuse to answer any questions other than the name, address, insurance, etc., that is customary, without having an attorney present. If they have a problem with that, and some will, ask them to call their supervisor to the scene. That should be a sergeant or above. Not another officer.

Finally, if this officer is doing this to you, what do you think they do to those less fortunate who do not have the ability to speak out? You will be doing the department and the citizens a favor by helping to correct inappropriate behaviour that has likely affected many.

OK , I have to get off my soapbox now......sorry for that.

I wasnt there, but i may be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Coming back in a high profile car from a show, perhaps there was theft? There might have just been an apb out for a "red sports car" heading in your direction?
In that case maybe the cop was just trying to help someone recover their car

SNDSOUL said:
I asked them did they think a migget was going to jump out of my trunk and get them. They did not find that funny. :eek: QUOTE]

Hahaha, I definetly cackled out loud after reading that :D

Dan- Sorry to hear about that. When I was attending school back in NC, I visited my best buddy who worked at John Deere in Augusta, GA a few times. The cops on I-20 through SC harassed me for various things on a few occasasions. Again, bright red sports car, out of state tags and license (had Maryland tags and license), such and so on. Fortunately I got off and kept my cool though I was never questioned for more than 5 minutes or so but none the less, it was annoying and bothersome. The profiling of young males in sports cars is pretty bad back north (especially in MD). I wouldn't take it to heart though and I hope you won't let it get to you too badly. Just brush it off as many people are jealous of the car and your position in life. Take care.

Conor

Sorry All, I have to vent... This shit has got to (RANT)

Stop!!! Today, I was driving my 98 Tahoe down a Major artery call Manchester in the city of Maplewood Mo. I was not speeding; I was obeying all traffic signs and laws. I noticed a squad car at an intersection.

This was no big deal to me because I have absolutely nothing to be afraid or worried about. I have done nothing. Next I see that the squad car is about two cars behind me. He is trying hard to see my plate.

I know this because I can see him in my rear view, and after the other car cleared I could see him reach for and start to talk into his handset/radio.

A minute later his lights are on and he is right behind me. I am like WTF!!! I knew I had done nothing; maybe my brake lights are out or something. Maybe there is something wrong with the car.

The very young looking officer steps to my car asking for the Registration and my license. I say sure, but can you tell me what I am being pulled over for? He said that my license plate was non-existent, I asked him what he meant, he said it’s not showing up anywhere in the system.

I said that was odd, because the state of Mo. Makes you show proof of insurance, paid personal property taxes, bills of sale and a notary stamped lien release for cars that were co-owned by lien holders. You will not get your license plates by any other way short of stealing them.

They can’t be stolen because they are coming up as non-existent. I mean if they were stolen they would be registered to some other car, correct? He said not if they had not been reported.

I again said, you said non-existent not stolen. That means they are not registered to anyone, they don’t exist, so therefore they can’t be stolen. I assured him that I didn’t make them myself and there has to be a major mistake.

I then showed him all of the paperwork from the day I purchased the truck and registered it. He asked if I had the plates on another car before, I assured him that the plates were new to the truck, and that I had legally registered the truck in accordance with Missouri laws. He decided that he was going to give me a ticket for improper plate.

WTF!!! I just looked at him, and asked how could he give me a ticket for Missouri’s Mistake? I would now have to go to court and waste my time for something that was totally out of my control. By this time another officer had arrived, he flanked my car with his hand at the drawing position, trying to find something of threat, by looking through the windows.

The other officer was busy trying to justify the ticket, then I asked the Million Dollar question: Why did you run my plate in the first place? I mean what prompted you? He said it was random. I just said oh, okay. But why was I the randomly chosen person? When he had so many other cars between him and me? What made me stand out? Was I being profiled? This is where I must have struck a nerve, he was not happy with this question at all. He and his friend conversed with each other and he came back to my truck and set his metal clipboard on my hood, the board slid down the hood, and I asked him if he would please remove it. I also asked for both of their names and who was the watch commander on duty. This made him even more agitated. He then went back to the car. After returning a minute or two later, he then said:

“Sir now you are not free to go, you have a warrant and I am going to arrest you”
Now I know some of you are saying, you should have just complied and been nice to the officer, thanking him for the ticket and moving on. (WELL I WON”T DO THAT AGAIN)

I just smiled and asked, Ohh now I have a warrant? I can’t have a warrant; my profession and clients will not allow it. I am checked monthly, so I know that there is nothing on my record. I have one ticked in the last 15 years and that was dismissed in court. I was found not guilty and all charges were dropped.

At any rate he proceeded to put the handcuffs on me. I told him that I needed to call my wife and let her know that she needs to pick up our 5 year old at her ride stop. His partner then told me that I would not be using the phone. I responded fine, that he or the other arresting cop should call then, because my 5 year old would be alone at the ride-stop and I am being arrested on BS. That they could almost bet everything that they had that I would spend every dime I had suing them in a court of law for this circumstance.

The officer that pulled me over decided that he would call my wife and tells her to arrange for my kids, due to the fact that he would be arresting me. He wouldn’t tell my wife where he was taking me. He just said he was fulfilling a warrant. My wife told him BS, my husband can’t have a warrant, and you need to check your system.

This made him think, he had gotten the same unsolicited response from my wife that he had heard from me. He calls in again and asks them to check the plates and the warrant one more time. Which, I clearly hear them say that there are two warrants not one. The plates were still MIA. He and his co-officer converse some more, then they decided to proceed with their action. My car was towed and I was going to be arrested.

The hand cuffs were put on improperly, behind my back, they cut my wrists. I was in pure agony at the shoulder due to a recent accident in which tendons were torn. I told them of this and asked them to consider putting the cuffs on with my hands in front of me. They said they could not do this. I explained that I was bleeding and that the cuffs were just plain too tight. He said we were going to leave soon and that I would have to wait. We stayed there until the tow truck came.

The officer had to adjust me in the back seat of the car three times there was simply no room. He became very unsettled when he pulled on my arm and heard a loud pop. (Pulled it out of the socket) At this point I was so mad that I wasn’t saying much. (For the record, I never raised my voice or disrespected either of them) I just asked that they secure my truck and the goods within the truck. Einstein then walks over to the tow truck driver and informs him of the 20k worth of computers and peripherals in the truck.

Well it’s now time to head to the station, this City uses another city jail as there processing and holding facility. When we get there the officer has changed his tune and tone. I simply listened to everything he had to say and complied with everything asked of me. I was being processed as a criminal. I then found out that the warrant was for not registering a vehicle. IRONY! so much I just chuckled to myself. I asked if I were going to be able to post bond there, they did not know. They couldn’t tell me what date the warrant was given, just that it was from 99/00, they couldn’t tell me what city just that it was in North County, they couldn’t tell me what kind of car I didn’t register. At this point they were just following the ghosts that were in the machine.

After finding out that I was upstanding individual, I was now talked to like a person and not a criminal. I was processed and put into a holding cell. My brother had already arrived before me; he was there to pay the bond. They told him, for 2 hours, that I was not there: I wasn’t in the system yet. They then told him that he would have to go to the County seat (Clayton, Mo.) to pay the bond and that by the time he got there with the money, I would be transported there.

Well I am in the cell and there is a phone, by the way, these guys acted as if anyone was in there, they had been there before. I was allowed to use the phone, so I called my Hysterical wife and asked that she calm down, I let her know that I was okay and calm. I would process out over the next 12 hours due to holding laws and the fact that these guys are trying to teach me a lesson. I tell her to call a few people and that I would call here and there to see what’s going on. She asks if I was okay and says she would continue to get in touch with everyone. She was told that I would be transported within 2 hours to the county where the bond could be paid. This is the same thing that they told my brother, who had already left to make sure he paid my bond. When he got to the county, I was not in the system yet; they had no clue as to why the arresting city would send him there.

I had resolved myself to the fact that I would be there for awhile longer. I could have shut up and gotten a free reach around, however, I am tired of having to put up with bullshit like this.

I have to admit, a part of me didn’t mind at all. I simply sit there listening to all of the stories of the incarcerations that I was now part of. Some of these guys knew the system well enough to be lawyers. All of them knew what city I was arrested in and the fact that there was a cloud around my arrest. A cop there had spoken louder than others may have wanted him to. These guys were telling me some pretty hard to believe stories, I was like that sounds like BS, only to realize that mine may sound that way as well.
I was there unjustly, I only had to accept the BS and I could have gotten a free walk. Good thing the warrant wasn’t for a serial killer. I mean these guys were so lost within the system that they thought nothing of their situations, it was cool, and it was a right of passage. I was called OG, Yeah right, me an Original Gangster. I had become leery of the institutionalized only to become face to face with those fears. A lot of kids, another guy named Lenny, He was on medicine, he didn’t get 2 dosages, because the conveyance officer was too busy with running out of the building with some girl.

There were 3 women on the other side of the Jail that were dialoguing with a few guys on the male side. The conversation was very graphic. The main character was a young guy maybe 20-22 years of age, father of 2 girls and a son that died at birth. He was a natural comedian. He was also savvy of the entire booking and transport process. At one point, after eating the Juice and Hot pockets supplied by that city, he became very emotional and started singing. I mean really American Idol-ness singing. I and everyone else were in complete awe. I couldn’t believe that this kid was not recording an album for someone.
I asked him why he wasn’t pursuing the singing; he said he thought he would if he could afford lessons. The consensus was unanimous: he absolutely did not need lessons.

6 hours later I was finally transported to the county, why so long? The conveyance officer never called for transport. He was covering for his buddy. They were trying to make sure that the system hadn’t made a mistake. They would not give my wife, lawyer or my brother any info. Until my wife had a Judge call they would not give her any info. After the Judge called, every thing kind of ramped up. A Latino officer, who told me that my situation was BS, he was also nice enough to put the cuffs on with my hands in front, he had a torn rotator as well and he knows how they feel, transported me. After getting to the county jail, the processing officer and the Transport officer tell me how I have things all riled up there. That a Federal judge has called there twice wanting to know where I was. (Nice to have friends and the coolest wife) Well this was about 8:00pm; it took until 12:30am to process out. For what you ask. The ticket says Improper Plate; the warrant was a glitch in the system.

Why was I pulled over in the first place? It was simply random. Yeah right… What do I get out of it? First hand knowledge of how unfair the system is. Racial profiling is very prevalent in the St. Louis, Mo. Area.

People are guilty until proven otherwise, and some Info in computers is terribly flawed.
12 hours were taken from my family, lost wages, my truck will have a huge impound fee. The only way to recoup any of my charges is to sue. WHICH I WILL.

No matter what I do, I will always be a color to some people, a valid excuse to harass me with no worries. There was much more to the story as far as the goings on in the Jails. I have run on enough. Just needed to vent.

Re: Sorry All, I have to vent... This shit has got to (RANT)

NsXMas said:
That's horrible Len. I hope you complain as loudly as possible, and talk to the media as well as lawyers. This is totally idiotic and waste of taxpayer dollars.

I plan to. Very Loudly!! I will start as soon as tomorrow.
I is a waste of time and $$$'s.

it's all a part of the system...

hmmm... Len, I can relate on the aspect of bein' "lost" in the system. Perhaps due to 9/11? Perhaps due my colour? Perhaps due to my affluence (falsely attributed by a 14yr old NSX)? Perhaps due to my age? Maybe a combination of all-of-the-above. For something ridiculously overblown & exaggarated, I was thrown into the system by them/TheMan for nearly TWO days... where hardcore convicted felons & violent criminals came in & then left like a revolving door. But, I remained.

BTW, I sympathize greatly w/ your wife & brother. My father whom I resided w/ at the time, recovering from major heart surgery, was unable to locate me due to the unknown circumstances for further holding & further background checking (FBI? CIA? INS? Patriot Act?). I was unable to make a phone-call correctly, as the phones required a code and each individual was given a code; then the code connected to a third party service that would contact the party you were trying to reach. I kept getting a response back, "due to technical error, we cannot connect you to your party". For reference, 99.9% of all the others in holding/processing/etc were able to "connect". Special code, yeaaah. Anyways, my father looked like a ghost when I finally got see him, two days later.

You better believe it that once I get settled professionally, MANY judges will be getting some fat donations regularly from me... just so I can bite back when I am being 'taught a lesson'.

(FYI, it was all over a speeding infraction. What speed? They never told me; it as just the officer's interpretation & observation.)

Update: my lawyer is hammering them pretty hard. Prelim' & separate license hearing, they/TheMan just turned red & were silent.

Last edited:
I got prof'd on the toll road in So Cal. A silver Audi S4 (with a cute babe) blew past me, and who does the cop pull over to give the tenth degree? The guy in the NSX crusin at the legal limit minding his own business. Took him a few mins of following me to before pulling me over too. Drifted along side to profile the driver, then drifted back to run plates, then with nothing better to do, hit the lights. Bah! :confused: Got the whole "This your car?" "How long have you had it?" foolishness. Granted he let me go, but only after copping an attitude like how come a kid like you can have this car and I don't but still, wasted my time. Should have told him I went to college and got a real job. :tongue: Oh well thats my vent. :biggrin:

Len & others,

Why can't 'the man' just chill. A person's color (white, black, brown, ..., or green w/ blue spots) should not, even subconsciously, be a factor in the law-enforcement world. I think that what happened to you is despicable and that those involved should be punished.

That's totally ridiculous! It made my blood boil just reading your account Len. Having been racially profiled myself many times (all after 9/11, although nothing as crazy as your situation) it just pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this. Sue their sorry asses and let us know how that turns out.

OMG!!! Unbelievable story! I hope the situation gets resolved, and that someone will not have to go through the same experience.

As for the system, someone needs to be smacked down for this one!!

Re: it's all a part of the system...

BTW said:
major[/B] heart surgery, was unable to locate me due to the unknown circumstances for further holding & further background checking (FBI? CIA? INS? Patriot Act?). I was unable to make a phone-call correctly, as the phones required a code and each individual was given a code; then the code connected to a third party service that would contact the party you were trying to reach. I kept getting a response back, "due to technical error, we cannot connect you to your party". For reference, 99.9% of all the others in holding/processing/etc were able to "connect". Special code, yeaaah. Anyways, my father looked like a ghost when I finally got see him, two days later.
(FYI, it was all over a speeding infraction. What speed? They never told me; it as just the officer's interpretation & observation.)

Update: my lawyer is hammering them pretty hard. Prelim' & separate license hearing, they/TheMan just turned red & were silent. [/FONT]

Man, change a few things and we can see some similarities all over the country. i am so sorry that there are those that are experiencing this treatment. O- Man your account tells in a way that makes me feel like it was me all over again.
My lawyer will be all over them on Monday as well.

NSXrunner said:
I got prof'd on the toll road in So Cal. A silver Audi S4 (with a cute babe) blew past me, and who does the cop pull over to give the tenth degree? The guy in the NSX crusin at the legal limit minding his own business. Took him a few mins of following me to before pulling me over too. Drifted along side to profile the driver, then drifted back to run plates, then with nothing better to do, hit the lights. Bah! :confused: Got the whole "This your car?" "How long have you had it?" foolishness. Granted he let me go, but only after copping an attitude like how come a kid like you can have this car and I don't but still, wasted my time. Should have told him I went to college and got a real job. :tongue: Oh well thats my vent. :biggrin:

Glad you didn't have much grief. Be careful, I would have been more quiet had I not been detained by the local KKK a few months or so ago. I was just fed up.

MarkB said:
Len & others,

Why can't 'the man' just chill. A person's color (white, black, brown, ..., or green w/ blue spots) should not, even subconsciously, be a factor in the law-enforcement world. I think that what happened to you is despicable and that those involved should be punished.

I Agree Mark. I promise that I will make them as miserable as they have made mine. A little more in fact.
Thanks
Len

Arshad said:
That's totally ridiculous! It made my blood boil just reading your account Len. Having been racially profiled myself many times (all after 9/11, although nothing as crazy as your situation) it just pisses me off to no end when I hear stories like this. Sue their sorry asses and let us know how that turns out.

I know this is happening, My wife is Idian, and she has been stopped a few times.
Len

Re: So What ??

AndyVecsey said:
Big deal.....you were pulled over. :p

Your point is? :confused:

We have all been pulled over to "be profiled".

Andy, the 'big deal' is that it is WRONG!! The police are supposed to be public servants, NOT power hungry jerks bent on harrassing the public that they are SUPPOSED to be protecting. Incidents like this are exactly why people hate the police, and do not respect them largely. Respect is EARNED, not given by some badge.

len3.8 said:
I Agree Mark. I promise that I will make them as miserable as they have made mine. A little more in fact.
Thanks
Len

Len...I hope you get to fry these biggoted a$$holes!! I hate it when this kind of stuff happens. These guys should NOT be officers of the law, when they seem to have no idea what law actually is. :mad:

len3.8 said:
Thanks
Len

Len, I hate that you were put in this situation. This only does even more to reinforce my negative opinions of the type of atmosphere and attitude condoned if not cultivated in those agencies. I admire and fully support your actions during and after this ordeal. GO GET THEM - it is only your type of reaction that will force this type of conduct out of our system.

Thanks for sticking up for the rest of us, regardless of color.

This type of thing has happened here for far too long. I was just fed up with dealing with it, so I took a stand. I want it to be exposed for what it is.

The next morning, my 5 year old came up to me and asked me if I went to jail, when I said I was detained, she immediately said "But dad you don't kill or steal, do you?" I had to explain to her what really happened, and how some people can just be plain ignorant and malicious. My 12 year old was just plain infuriated. She attends law school workshops on a regular basis, as part of her summer school program. She knew exactly what was going on. They were just worried.

After I told them what happened it became more of an act of example instead of me being a victim. Be very sure that I will handle this accordingly. None of this has changed my outlook on people in general; it has just reinforced what I have been taught all my life.

Some things will remain the same in small minds, those minds refuse to grow, when those same minds are in a position of power, they will become more dangerous than we could have imagined. If they are allowed to act without consequence, eventually it will become the norm. Seems that my Grandparents and Parents were correct.

Well I can't deal with the norm anymore. I had to stand up for myself at whatever costs. 10-24 hrs of detainment was a small price to pay for the knowledge gained over that time.

I had no idea what it was like to actually go through this process or how the process actually works. It is easy to see how mistakes can be made. It is also easy to see how the door just revolves for true criminals. It's just plain overcrowded, I couldn't imagine a large city like New York or Los Angles, nor do I want to experience this in those cities.

As Osiris has stated, it was hard for me to understand how true criminals were being processed in and out like it was nothing, and I, with a supposed non-moving violation, was sitting there just festering. It leads me to believe that the Money making behind this is HUGE!!! The corruption that is blatant is just plain mind-boggling. There can't truly be a system in place to stop this. It has to be a benefit that the correction officers (Exact job title not known) chose to or not to except. If I were undercover, I could have had a field day.

Also, to be treated as a piece of crap is the most disturbing thing of it all. I mean they (Officers) talk to you like you are familiar with the system. You are supposed to know their lingo, their names for each part of the processing. Rights, Please!! You better know them, because they don't tell you jack. You better demand them because they will not give you any of them without doing so.

I had to realize that the Officers were part of the system, a lot of them being just as fed up with it and what they see on a day in day out basis. After looking at it that way, I was able to get things done much faster. I used a voice of reason and one of inexperience yet full of confidence to reduce my processing time by 4 hours.

I was denied to make bond at the first station I was at. After being asked and told repetitively by My lawyer, wife, and brother that I should be able to post bond at the first station. They said they couldn't, they said it had to be at the county. Turns out that the Conveyance officer was covering so a person upstairs and himself could take their lunches.

Their precious 2 hours costs a person 8 hours and they couldn't have given a damn even if they were required to. This is the same conveyance officer that failed to order a transport vehicle, it slipped his mind, even though I asked him 10 times. The audio recording in my holding tank was turned down; it's not usable for voice sampling. Good thing I asked for the tapes from the cell across from me and next to me, Also that I was smart enough to ask loud enough for all microphones to pick my conversations up. :wink:

If you are ever in this situation, keep you cool and think about all you are doing. For example, the officer asked me if I wanted a cover, I didn't know why he asked me that, I said no, Simply because I was warm at the time. After getting to the holding cell, I then realized why he asked me. However he never explained what I would need the cover for or much of anything else for that matter. Remember, if you are in there you have been there before and you are assumed to be a criminal. Your rights are not told to you. You better know them. That is where the "regular" inmates come into an absolute value. They can tell you the system. They have the guards/officers checking the handbook in complete wonderment. It's amazing, because the whole thing was about power; they want to maintain the hirarchy, however. Some of them are just not smart enough for the job. They were making mistakes left and right. They were being taken to school by some of the "inmates": (Inmate, that is what you are whether your there one minute or one year) I just sit back and took notes, wait how did you get a pen in here? It was in my pocket. (Huge mistake) I simply used this to take notes, paper; I used a hot pocket cover. (Huge mistake)

If you are ever around me, you would see that I am outspoken, but not even close to rude. I can truly forgive most things that have happened to me in life, simply because I can find a reason for those things happening. I am in the process of finding out why this has happened, what has been uncovered so far is simply not forgivable. I refuse to give any leniency to those that trampled on my and my family’s rights over the last few months. I have become a different person.

They will pay, as much as I can get them to pay, I am not talking about $$$$'s, to be completely honest, I wouldn't take a settlement to make this go away. I want an admission of Malicious Prosecution, they can keep their damn $$$'s for a training program, only if it is under the control of a college and they are given true grades.
I know this is reaching, but this shit has to stop. It is a boil that is about to burst, and innocent people will bare the brunt of the resentment. This is the biggest "Effect" of the "Cause", whether designed to or not; this is causing a huge problem with those that can't see the entire picture.

Heck, I don't know what to do. I will just follow voices of reason. You guys have been cool. To all of you that is going through something similar. I understand.

When you speak to a lawyer, make sure they are familiar with litigation in Federal Court and Civil Rights claims. Suing the government is not easy and there are a number of traps to catch the average lawyer.

I have occasion to defend various governments in cases involving civil rights claims and otherwise and I am usually able to get the cases thrown out on grounds that the average person may consider to be a technicality or simply because the other attorney has not prepared their case sufficient to survive a motion to dismiss or for summary judgment.

Your situation sounds more like a claim for false arrest than malicious prosecution, and I would expect your lawyer to assert a claim for disparate treatment on the basis of race in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment guarantee of equal protection.

You may also have to go through an administrative or other claims process before you bring suit. Governments and their employees are immune from certain things and some state laws will require that you submit a claim and wait for it to be allowed or disallowed before you can bring a state law claim. Usually these requirements do not apply to federal constitutional claims, although there is an element of exhaustion of remedies for such claims as well.

I wish you luck in your endeavor. Such conduct must not be tolerated and the legal system is the best means to impact their behavior in the future.

Back