• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

IC piping is getting close...........

just some update pics...yeah yeah i know the car is filthy
DSC00305.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

no cheesy silicone hoses here :biggrin:

Looking good Marc.

You'll have to let me know how you like those connectors(nice clean look in any case).

Hi Marc,

Looks really nice. Is there a thermal advantage to putting the heat exchanger closer to inlet? The intake piping goes all way across the engine bay and am curious about the overall effect of your design.

Side pic of my setup attached - it looks like less piping.

Good luck!

TB

...And I thought the smell was from my weekend job at Pizza Hut...

Attachments

• HPIM0591.jpg
    HPIM0591.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 153
Hi Marc,

Looks really nice. Is there a thermal advantage to putting the heat exchanger closer to inlet? The intake piping goes all way across the engine bay and am curious about the overall effect of your design.

Side pic of my setup attached - it looks like less piping.

Good luck!

TB

...And I thought the smell was from my weekend job at Pizza Hut...

thanks Tony, I would say the only advantage I MAY have would be not being right on top of the engine....and who knows if that would really be an advantage. I see you have shorter tube's which would be an advantage for you (less tube = less area to build pressure in = less tag) this, like the IC placement is debatable, and just a theory anyway. (Since it’s under pressure, the difference may be boosting @ 3500 or 3650, and it would have to be using the same turbo anyway to really tell a difference).

While the pipe does go across the engine bay, this will not make the charge air warmer, as it will already be hotter that the engine bay temps.

I am also not using all 3 inch pipes like you did...cause mine are longer :)

I use a 2.5 from the turbo thru the fender to the 3 inch you see. This was done for a few reasons. The discharge on the turbo is 2.5...do anything bigger that that make the turbo work harder to pressurize. Second I wanted as much velocity as I could get going thru and bends in the pipe (I hate bends) and a 2.5 will keep this up more than the 3 inch. Second it keeps the total area the turbo has to pressurize down considerably. 7.065 vs. 4.906 per inch, once you start factoring this out....
just in IC pipe, it looks like you have about 20/22 inches of 3 inch pipe from the IC to the TB (4 five inch legs on the bends, including the rubber, and the 4 inch center with your injection) From the turbo to the IC inlet it looks like you have about the same, (with the hard 90 degree off the turbo and 4 more 90 degree legs). So that is about 40/44 inches of pipe, this times the area gives you 296.73 SQ inches (I used a 42 inch average).
I have 366.24 SQ inches to pressurize. This is giving us only about a 20% difference, even though mine look twice as fricken long...:) also all this extra pipe will help cool the air in the pipe in it, before it hits the IC making the IC more efficient. It’s a theory, right :) I also see you have a double core on the IC and I am only running a single, this will make us closer also.
Since it’s under pressure, this air is not as sensitive as the exhaust air....that air needs short, even, smooth runs much more so that the pressurized stuff...

this all just a guess looking at your pic, i could be WAY off :)....i also do not share your turbo placement, so haveing the IC where you have yours, would not help me one bit :)

That pic of your IC looks cool, how come you never sent me that one?

thanks Tony, I would say the only advantage I MAY have would be not being right on top of the engine....and who knows if that would really be an advantage. I see you have shorter tube's which would be an advantage for you (less tube = less area to build pressure in = less tag) this, like the IC placement is debatable, and just a theory anyway. (Since it’s under pressure, the difference may be boosting @ 3500 or 3650, and it would have to be using the same turbo anyway to really tell a difference).

While the pipe does go across the engine bay, this will not make the charge air warmer, as it will already be hotter that the engine bay temps.

I am also not using all 3 inch pipes like you did...cause mine are longer :)

I use a 2.5 from the turbo thru the fender to the 3 inch you see. This was done for a few reasons. The discharge on the turbo is 2.5...do anything bigger that that make the turbo work harder to pressurize. Second I wanted as much velocity as I could get going thru and bends in the pipe (I hate bends) and a 2.5 will keep this up more than the 3 inch. Second it keeps the total area the turbo has to pressurize down considerably. 7.065 vs. 4.906 per inch, once you start factoring this out....
just in IC pipe, it looks like you have about 20/22 inches of 3 inch pipe from the IC to the TB (4 five inch legs on the bends, including the rubber, and the 4 inch center with your injection) From the turbo to the IC inlet it looks like you have about the same, (with the hard 90 degree off the turbo and 4 more 90 degree legs). So that is about 40/44 inches of pipe, this times the area gives you 296.73 SQ inches (I used a 42 inch average).
I have 366.24 SQ inches to pressurize. This is giving us only about a 20% difference, even though mine look twice as fricken long...:) also all this extra pipe will help cool the air in the pipe in it, before it hits the IC making the IC more efficient. It’s a theory, right :) I also see you have a double core on the IC and I am only running a single, this will make us closer also.
Since it’s under pressure, this air is not as sensitive as the exhaust air....that air needs short, even, smooth runs much more so that the pressurized stuff...

this all just a guess looking at your pic, i could be WAY off :)....i also do not share your turbo placement, so haveing the IC where you have yours, would not help me one bit :)

That pic of your IC looks cool, how come you never sent me that one?

Marc what are you doing? it looks like your actually thinking this out instead of just going with what works. OH NO. :)

I am really excited to see what your set-up will do because I know each and every peice is done the way it is done for a reason, not because it fit, and not because it was easy.

In Summation: NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

J. R.

Hi Marc,

I took that pic recently (w/in last three weeks) as that was when I got the car back to break-in. The pic in my profile is almost a year old and had the engine bay cover in place. You will also notice no engine bay cover as it's being redesigned.

I do have a pipe reduction right below line of sight in pic - and if you look closely, you can see weld bead to left of BOV.

Would you like any dimensions or better pics? Underside of car is a challenge to get good ones, but top is easy - even I can do it.

Keep going - looking good!

TB

Back