• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Idle problem in cold weather

I changed my timeing belt and water pump on my NSX and i drained the system and refilled it with all the bleeders open and then closed them like the manual says but now when it is cold the idle goes up and down from 400 rpms to 1400 rpms sometimes it idles O.K. but most of the time it goes up and down anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to stop the problem.

Lately when i start mine, it idles at 1500 for a bit.. then drops WAY down to like 400.. it either dies, or goes back up and settles down... dont know what is up with that.. any ideas?

I did check mine when i put the timeing belt on i had the cams all lined up with the crackshaft and had the dowels in the cams when we put the crank at top dead center i know the idle is controled by the flow of coolent and if there is any air in the line it will make the idle go up and down. Mine only goes up and down when it is cold out it's alright when the temp is warmer.The car never dies it just goes up and down like it is haveing a hard time determining rather the engine is still cold or if it is warmed up.

Does your heater blow hot air? If not, it could be air in the lines. You may want to bleed the coolant system a few times just to rule out the possiblity of air in the lines.

DanO

Kevin,

A couple of things. Did you pin all four cams? If you used a tight pin on all four the front exhaust and the rear intake cams could be off. Make sure the timing marks are BELOW the plastic cover about 1/4 inch. If you look at the cover the marks actually line up with the step in the cover not the top edge.

Assuming the cams are correct, I think DanO has is pegged. Rebleed. Make sure the heat is set to 90 degrees BEFORE you bleed. Get the car up on stands IN THE REAR. Leave the nose of the car (radiator) lower then the rear. With the nose lower the bleed process is much easier, and you have a better chance of getting all the air out.

I did it this way and it took 20 minutes, then a quick drive, and I added one additional quart after it cooled down again.

Besides the idle, How does it run? Good power? Even if the idle is roaming a bit, how is the idle, firing on all six, or does it sound like a big block V8?

HTH,

LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 19 December 2002).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
Lately when i start mine, it idles at 1500 for a bit.. then drops WAY down to like 400.. it either dies, or goes back up and settles down... dont know what is up with that.. any ideas?

I had this sort of thing happeing a couple of months back. I really noticed it in when I came to a stop after being in higher gears(5th&6th). I had my fuel injectors and throttle body cleaned and the problem was solved.good luck

There is a high idle control valve that is located on the right side of the throttle body. If U unscrew 2 phillips and remove the cover U'l find the valve.The seat for the cone is a big plastic ring with cut for the flat screwdriver. Usually it's loose after50000 miles.Just turn it in and U have a steady idle.
Good luck.
Michael
Originally posted by kevin Ratekin:

I changed my timeing belt and water pump on my NSX and i drained the system and refilled it with all the bleeders open and then closed them like the manual says but now when it is cold the idle goes up and down from 400 rpms to 1400 rpms sometimes it idles O.K. but most of the time it goes up and down anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to stop the problem.

Back