• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you couldn't have a NSX, what would you drive?

OP, it really depends what you're looking for. A cheaper alternative coupe for around/less than what a NSX would cost you today? Then you're not left with much choices.

Nissan GTR
RX-7 FD but instead of V8 swap, I'll do 20b (look it up, full of rotary awesomeness).
Supra TT
Integra Type R (Extremely Mint and non abused, however, in terms of class, it's definitely a step down from all the other I am suggesting)
SLK 55, SL55, C63 coupe
Z4M Coupe, 1 Series M Coupe E36 M3 (Euro Spec + Mint), E46 M3 (in good condition low mileages), E92 M3, New M235i
Audi TTS, RS5, S5
Maserati Gran Turismo
Some F355 (but lower price OBVIOUSLY mean much higher maintanece cost)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage (earlier years)
Any older porsche 911 from 997 back (besides 996... unless its a GT3 or Turbo). Will not consider a Cayman (personal preference)

If money and layout isn't really a problem:
E90 M3
Audi RS4 B7
Merc C63 Sedan
Maserati Quattroporte GTS
Porsche GT3 (RS), Turbo (S), 993, New Porsche Cayman S
Newer Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ferrari Modena 360, (don't think you can get 430 unless you really dish out the money)
FORD GT!!! (one of my DREAM cars, but then again, $200k+)

However, given the choice, i'll still take the NSX since there is definitely no direct competition to it (in terms of nostalgic/ historic value, performances, and reliability).

- - - Updated - - -

If there was no Nsx I would still own my bone stock itr. Amazing car.

+1, nothing beats any Type R. Buddy of mind of imported from Japan EK9 Type R, its a fantastic car too. The DC2R is also amazing and i still have one for the track. Bone stock the car is amazing. But I prefer stiffer suspension and JDM 16" wheels, with better brakes and tires, that is about all the mods any DC2R needs!

the Audi R8 V8 is a lot of car for the money these days. otherwise a Ferrari 360 would certainly suffice also.

for half that money, a Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo. which will hand either of the above two cars (and the NSX) their backsides in a straight line drag race...

I would go with an Ariel Atom with the Honda K series engine. Mid-rear platform and the engine can be made to produce some likable hp. Would be massive fun to drive :)

Kaede: I also had an ap1 at the same time as my itr and the itr was hands down better in a track situation especially at speed.
I actually got the Nsx because my itr got written off and I couldn't find an unmolested example. Anyways... Loving the Nsx!

Kaede: I also had an ap1 at the same time as my itr and the itr was hands down better in a track situation especially at speed.
I actually got the Nsx because my itr got written off and I couldn't find an unmolested example. Anyways... Loving the Nsx!

thats sad to hear =( ITR is possibly the best bang for buck right now even if it is modded up. as long as it is not too riced up, can always revert back to more OEM like. S2000 is fun and VTEC is much better (much new car), but it just doesn't have the "go kart" feel of the ITR (due to weight and "slow" rev). Tranny is also a bigger let down because of taller gears and not like the ITR. All in all, i am very happy with ITR, only down side is that the NSX is just so much nicer to drive. (the the JDM short gears and NSX-R final drive, it is worth the money xD)! Have fun!!

Wow, fantastic set of responses. The Cayman keeps popping up and I think for good reason. I rented one for 2 days and it helped push me towards the NSX.

One thing the NSX likely has for many of us is we grew up, or at least partially grew up, desiring it. That helps make older cars from the same generation a bit more attractive to me. I like a lot of modern cars, but I know I would have to spend quite a bit more to get the "special" quality the NSX has.

The new M135i intrigues me. So does the BRZ/FR-S but I know I would want more power. I drove my friends for a session at Streets of Willow and I wanted more for sure, but it was really fun to toss around.

I would own a C6 Z06 if I did not have my NSX.

(Even today, I still have a desire deep down to make the switch from the NSX to the C6Z.)

Reverse from you I sold my C6 Z06 and got into my nsx a couple of year ago because of many years growing up dreaming..
If you dont mind the kit car build quality, heat soaking from track or hard driving, or even the need to upgrade the heads for the dropped valve issue, then it really is a great car value for money.
Even despite all that, I too still revisit the desire to add the C6Z to my stable lol...

But to move on to something if the nsx never existed, I sometime play numbers figures in my head for a 997 gt3...
There just so much good stuff out there!

Reverse from you I sold my C6 Z06 and got into my nsx a couple of year ago because of many years growing up dreaming..
If you dont mind the kit car build quality, heat soaking from track or hard driving, or even the need to upgrade the heads for the dropped valve issue, then it really is a great car value for money.
Even despite all that, I too still revisit the desire to add the C6Z to my stable lol...

But to move on to something if the nsx never existed, I sometime play numbers figures in my head for a 997 gt3...
There just so much good stuff out there!

Thanks for chiming in! I agree with your points, and in addition, the NSX resale value is another reason I made the decision that I did. I figured with the release of the C7Z, it would make the leap into a C6Z all that much easier with the prices slowly going down on Vettes. I do have a desire for a car with a little more power and one that I would drive more often. (I also often wonder if the raw horsepower/torque from the LS7 ever gets old...)

I've heard a lot about the dropped valve-issue (valve guides) and the car would definitely need some work for track duty. I'm hoping to find a clean C6Z Carbon somewhere or do the conversion myself.

Wow, fantastic set of responses. The Cayman keeps popping up and I think for good reason. I rented one for 2 days and it helped push me towards the NSX.

One thing the NSX likely has for many of us is we grew up, or at least partially grew up, desiring it. That helps make older cars from the same generation a bit more attractive to me. I like a lot of modern cars, but I know I would have to spend quite a bit more to get the "special" quality the NSX has.

The new M135i intrigues me. So does the BRZ/FR-S but I know I would want more power. I drove my friends for a session at Streets of Willow and I wanted more for sure, but it was really fun to toss around.

Cayman keeps popping up because it is very comparable to the NSX but in a more modern package. I will definitely go for the 2014+ Cayman S if possible as it is a much better car than its predecessor. Mid Engine, High revving (8k redline), NA, razor sharp handling, will all the new styling and more aggressive lines, the new Cayman is for sure a very awesome car. However, it'll also run you quite a bit of money.

The NSX is just simply very desirable simply because of everything that it does awesome at (for a 20+ years old design). With simple upgrades, it can still keep up with a lot of modern day sports cars. It also have that "aura", just look at it, its fantastic. Timeless design and engineer innovation really shows.

As for the M235i, if you want power, this is it. Probably very simple to mod and get tons of power outta that package. On my DD (07' 335i Sedan), a simple ECU upgrade, downpipes, and intake can easily push 400hp and 450+tq. All that probably costed less than $2k. However, one thing to keep in mind that the M2 probably is also coming along with much better suspension and engine setup. Also wont be cheap to maintain. As for FRS/BRZ, cheap very good package. But ya, lacks power. But driving a slow "fast" car is always fun!! You can whip it around and not get into trouble too easily. On my 335i i only have to open up the throttle a bit, and i DO mean just a bit, i'll be going 60mph+...

Cheers!

Last edited:
S2000. I have one and it is always the car I prefer to drive.

Years ago I would have given a much different answer but I have changed.

Power in cars has grown to astonishing levels, levels that make driving them on public roads trouble just waiting to happen.

I enjoy my S2000 because the fun and sensations happen at a much lower speed. Speeds easier to recover from when the unexpected happen. The person in the car next to you is on their way to home, work, school and very likely oblivious to the notion that suddenly, whenever you decide the road has become your race track.

That aside, I prefer more simple cars that I can see all the mechanical action that's occurring in my head.

Old man talk I guess. No judgment or offense intended to anyone.

This fellow said it well:
But driving a slow "fast" car is always fun!! You can wipe it around and not get into trouble too easily.

Last edited:
I agree with this sentiment. I'd even take it a step further and say there are cars that have so much power, only a professional on a track can take advantage of it all. Any where does that leave me, the amateur who is on a track maybe 6 times a year and on the road 99% of the time?

Usable power and handling is definitely important.

S2000. I have one and it is always the car I prefer to drive.

Years ago I would have given a much different answer but I have changed.

Power in cars has grown to astonishing levels, levels that make driving them on public roads trouble just waiting to happen.

I enjoy my S2000 because the fun and sensations happen at a much lower speed. Speeds easier to recover from when the unexpected happen. The person in the car next to you is on their way to home, work, school and very likely oblivious to the notion that suddenly, whenever you decide the road has become your race track.

That aside, I prefer more simple cars that I can see all the mechanical action that's occurring in my head.

Old man talk I guess. No judgment or offense intended to anyone.

This fellow said it well:

I like the S2000 very much as well...If I did not own an nsx I might not even have another two seat sports car....any other car would be a pita to have serviced and maintained in my location,If I lived near a great indy shop that could work on modern prancy horses I might have a scud.

Money no constraint: Ford GT, a recent 911 GT3, or a nostalgic Ferrari Dino 246.
Otherwise, Cayman S, C7 Vette, or go back to my basic teen desires and get an update on the original, a 2013 Boss 302, or pony up the $$ for a 1970.

If you couldn't have an NSX..............

I have this 1999 Miata 10th Anniversary car which has a Jackson Supercharger and Mazdaspeed front end kit with some other goodies (suspension, lighter wheels, upgraded electronics--interior). It's perfectly balanced and the supercharger provides what Mazda neglected. it's near perfect "as is" but IF I didn't have the NSX to go with it I might consider sending it to Flyin' Miata to add the LS3 engine kit. http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

Attachments

• 10 AE cropped.jpg
    10 AE cropped.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Fairly interesting that even though the NSX was a "Ferrari killer" that there are very few people here who view the NSX as a Ferrari alternative.

Fairly interesting that even though the NSX was a "Ferrari killer" that there are very few people here who view the NSX as a Ferrari alternative.

Depends on the years you're comparing.
1991 NSX vs 1991 Ferrari, I would say the NSX is a Ferrari alternative(and better).
1997 vs 1997, I would say the NSX is a Ferrari alternative(and better).
2005 vs 2005, not so much.
2005 vs 2014, duh

I meant more along the lines of:

"If Android didn't make a phone, I would have an iPhone"
"If there was no Pepsi, I would just drink coke"
"If there was no NSX, I would just drive a Ferrari"

Yet, the answers so far have mostly centered on anything *but* a Ferrari. I find that interesting.

no love for the lotus Elise??

Yet, the answers so far have mostly centered on anything *but* a Ferrari. I find that interesting.

For me, it's simple. The NSX is what I drive every day. Anything that replaces it has to be practical for the same sort of duty. There aren't any F-cars that fit that description on my budget.

Back