• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you couldn't have a NSX, what would you drive?

I traded in my NSX for 2 kids. Replaced it with a e46 m3 (after a g35 and an RL). Pretty happy with where I ended up (though I still miss the nsx)

I think they are comparable in a lot of ways, but the biggest difference is cost of maintenance. Not that the NSX is cheap, but cheaper than most if not all Ferraris. I also really dislike Ferrari as a company and a brand. Their cars are spectacular, but the company turns me off.

I meant more along the lines of:

"If Android didn't make a phone, I would have an iPhone"
"If there was no Pepsi, I would just drink coke"
"If there was no NSX, I would just drive a Ferrari"

Yet, the answers so far have mostly centered on anything *but* a Ferrari. I find that interesting.

I'm a big fan of Audi so the RS4 and R8 come to mind. However I just helped build a Procharged C6 and install a supervette widebody and I got to say its one hell of a bang for your buck. It's violently fast handles like its on rails got a bullet proof V8 that still gets over 30 mpg @80 with 650+ whp on tap and looks killer with the body kit.

After I sold the NSX I bought a GTR and a AP1 S2000 to satisfy both ends of the spectrum :)
10407629_10152658637646224_2181439205347121138_n.jpg

Other cars I'd like to pick up one day:
C7 Vette Z06
Gallardo with manual
F430 with manual
Lotus Exige
Air-cooled 911 turbo

I have had my NSX for 13 years or so now. Can't really imagine replacing it , let alone with anything near the same price. I have an E46 M3 too. Nice, but not an NSX replacement unless the criteria includes 'daily driver w/kids'. Like Rob, I got married and with kids that is as close as I could get in the same budget for a daily-friendly fun car. I probably 'should have' sold the nsx, but I just couldn't. Honestly, I doubt I will ever be able to. If they all evaporated and I got a check for its 'market value', what would I do? I would lust after a lot of cars.... anything from duesenbergs to F1s. I don't seem to get into new cars much, even as appliances. I would seriously considering spending way more than I should on a Ford GT, but I suspect financial conservatism would prevail and I would probably end up with a 911 of some flavor. Longnoses, 993TTs, and 996GT3s and 997Ss are favorites. I might also consider an R8 or an F430. Must have (6)MT, preferably white/silver over black. As for tracking, miata or any older E30 E36 BMW for me - a great car you can write off immediately.

Signed,
Proud member late-30s old codger in-training program.

I'm a little late to this party but, anyway...

I'm not really surprised to see peoples alternate choices of car. Mine are similar. Not that I have ever owned an NSX (yet), but assuming that it is off the table (and given the financial wherewithal to acquire any one of the following), my list of alternatives is fairly short:

C7 Corvette
996 C4S
1970 Chevelle SS

I'm a Honda girl and currenty have three blue Hondas (2005 NSX, 2007 S2000-3rd S, and 2011 Crosstour), but I'd be most interested in a blue Audi R8 if I was looking and the new NSX wasn't on the horizon.

I think without the NSX in my garage I'd just keep the R8 and call it a day and start modding the R8 a bit. (Right now she's stock)

The s2000 is also a nice alternative and a lot easier on the checkbook.

If we break this into two budget categories:

under <$30k:
s2000
e46 m3

Unlimited $$$:
R8
GT3
12C
F-car
Lambo

If their was no NSX, I probably wouldn't be interested in sports cars right now since it was the NSX that got me into cars when I was kid.

I probably would be driving a cookie cutter nice car, maybe a M3, IS-F or C63.

Porsche 997 turbo cabriolet. I have actually been thinking about getting one as a daily driver. Too expensive new, but 4-6 years old prices are much better.

Too many good choices out there:

1. Similar to NSX: Porsche Cayman GTS - Mid engine, light weight and 340 HP.
2. Something different: C7 Z51 with manual.
3. Different and have kids: 991 S with Manual or DCT.
4. GT car: Maserati Gran Turismo - Classic Italian styling, Ferrari engine and sounds, and room for bigger kids.
5. Exotic - McLaren 12C spider used or F458 Coupe.
6. On a budget - Miata with some mods.

Last edited:
Similar money: Corvette
Medium more money: Audi R8
Much more money: Ford GT
Crazy stupid money: Just borrow wifes cousins McClaren P1 or 458 or GT3 or....... Damn, wish I wasn't too old to be adopted

Last edited:
If I had to chose then it would probably be a 91-93 MR2... or an older 280Z with a GTR motor swap.

Since this thread has been resurrected:

1. 2008 C63 AMG Black Series
2. 08'-10' 911 Turbo
3. Anything else that might fit a 6'8" driver :confused: (open to suggestions).

911 GT2 if you don't have to worry about backseats!

Back