• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you don't think magnetic drain plugs and oil filter magnets works..... think again

I'm going to call Summit Racing and have them beat the lowest price out there.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2ISh-abGf8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2ISh-abGf8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Then I'm going to get a Dimple Oil Drain Magnet.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2PJ4mjnOX5c?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2PJ4mjnOX5c?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Then I or someone else on this forum will find out if there is a magnetic drain plug for the tranny that will work.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNQsuTez4Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNQsuTez4Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

RIPOFF! :rolleyes:

cheaper to just buy a neodymium magnet and stick it on the filter. There are a gazillion places on the web that sell magnets in all shapes and sizes. And a hell of a lot cheaper.
You can get a PAIR of these for $10.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=1&reviews_id=627

arc0.75.jpg

Or if you have a dead hard drive laying around - rip it open and pull out the magnet - they are stronger than shit.

HardDrive.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering just what NSX internals are fero-magnetic. The crank, I suppose. And maybe some bearings?

Last thing I trust (right after politicians and used car salesmen) are ads on the Internet "demonstrating" their products.

I'm wondering just what NSX internals are fero-magnetic. The crank, I suppose. And maybe some bearings?

Last thing I trust (right after politicians and used car salesmen) are ads on the Internet "demonstrating" their products.

Or commercials about a new car where the two actors fighting over the first one would never even consider owning the car in the first place. :rolleyes:

Or if you have a dead hard drive laying around - rip it open anJd pull out the magnet - they are stronger than shit.

HardDrive.jpg

Dang Jim I literally had a broken hard drive in my hand trying to fix a computer when I read this... I was just trying to figure out how to dispose of this thing. I opened it to scratch the shit out of the discs to get rid of data. Now I have use for a magnet! $60 to anyone that has engine problems. I take PayPal.

Last edited:
Dave you can also use it to hang crap on the refrigerator. :tongue:

BTW: When I had the near death experience with my oil cooler return line busting, I opened the OEM filter with tin snips to inspect and there wasn't even a tiny metal particle in the filter. So to me.... I think it's moot to have a magnet on the filter because if you have metal particles floating around in the oil it's already too late.

Would a magnet on the filter or pan be beneficial in the long run? It isn't going to hurt. But $50 or $60 for a $10 magnet is a ripoff.

Last edited:
I see the sense in this when I'm breaking in my engine.

Cylinder walls are ferrous.

Yeah, I was just kidding.

My first start-up procedure so far is:

1) Start car with regular dino 30wt non-detergent oil, warm up at idle to about 120F coolant temperature (heat cycle the new valvesprings, get rid of all the assembly lube). Shut off.

2) Change oil with fresh regular 30wt oil. Change oil filter and cut old one open/inspect.

3) Start car, get up to operating temperature and then run it hard to seat the rings. Maybe put ~200 normal-hard miles on the engine and change the oil again. But this time use regular synthetic.

4) Enjoy :smile:

If you don't do regular oil analysis, the magnet that screws into the pan is one way of noting (albeit after the fact but not necessarily after damage) that something might be happening. It might help to further investigate or take preventative measures before a major catastrophe occurs. YMMV.

Dang Jim I literally had a broken hard drive in my hand trying to fix a computer when I read this... I was just trying to figure out how to dispose of this thing. I opened it to scratch the shit out of the discs to get rid of data. Now I have use for a magnet! $60 to anyone that has engine problems. I take PayPal.

If the hardrive will run there are many programs you can use to erase them that will write over the material then erase again that will destroy everything on it, a magnet across the disks and then beat them with a hammer after placing them in some thick cloth or something similar to keeps pieces from flying. You should wear safety glasses also just in case the pieces are sharp.

Anyway ill get back to topic, this is good info next time i have to do the above i will rip out the magnet and stick in on my filter i never thought about doing that great idea.

yeah the harddrive magnet is def strong as shit

I have a few on my fridge they are still there cuz your cant get it off now inless you slide it off the side but if you do that you will scratch the fridge

never even thought to use the mag though cool
thread BATMANs

and they say you never contrib anything to Prime I laugh at them

Last edited:
If you don't do regular oil analysis, the magnet that screws into the pan is one way of noting (albeit after the fact but not necessarily after damage) that something might be happening. It might help to further investigate or take preventative measures before a major catastrophe occurs. YMMV.
Agree on the analysis.

I run this magnetic drain plug on all my cars in both the gearbox and the oil pan. I'm amazed at what gets magnetized on there. It's typically a very fine powder almost half a drop of water thick stuck at the end of the drain plug. It's definitely metallic. They are not big chunks of metal.

You won't see this type of thing by simply cutting open a filter unless you use a microscope or you're superman.

p.s. My stock Suzuki GSX-R uses a magnetic drain plug from the factory.

Last edited:
Or if you have a dead hard drive laying around - rip it open and pull out the magnet - they are stronger than shit.

HardDrive.jpg

Being a curious sort I had an unused 160GB seagate drive lying around so I pulled it apart. But I can't feel any magnetic force near the pivot arm. Do you know if all drives have a magnet?

^ i never saw magnets as strong as those ones... and yes, all Hard Drives have 2 magnets spaced to create a magnet field between them.

Nuno

Back