• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you don't think magnetic drain plugs and oil filter magnets works..... think again

You should cut your oil filter open @ your next oil change. Curious to see what it look like.

Just a sidenote. It may work on a good old chevy block or a gearbox that good but on a aluminum engine? Aluminium is not magnetic.

my NSX cylinder walls are ferrous. THe plating that is on the Ti con rods where it rubs the crank is ferrous. bearings, etc.

I know this since I had the engine opened up in the DIY build with Mac Attack.

u did see my thread of my glorious build? Its the best street engine build with stock 3.0 displacement.

Are there really metal shavings in engine oil?

I asked the guy that smogs my car and he said "if you have metal shavings in your oil, you have bigger problems."

If you don't do regular oil analysis, the magnet that screws into the pan is one way of noting (albeit after the fact but not necessarily after damage) that something might be happening. It might help to further investigate or take preventative measures before a major catastrophe occurs. YMMV.

I totally agree, I'm a helicopter mechanic and we have multiple chip detectors on all the different transmissions. They basically are in different areas and have a magnetic tip and once it picks up something ends a signal saying it has a chip. WE inspect to see which detector then drain and flush it and see if it chips again. So I see harm in wanting to detect metal chips in your oil. It is true you already have a problem, but having tools to diagnose a problem wont hurt. Haters gonna hate, do what you want.

Back