• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ignition problem!

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has a similar problem. So I started the car afterwork today...it started but couldn't stay idle. It started every time I turned the key but it immediately dies. I noticed if I pushed the key in the ignition and hold it then the idle stays on but it dies as soon as I let it goes. My car also has remote start which works fine using the remote but as soon as I put the key in the ignition..turned..and press on the brake pedal...it dies.
The tow truck driver who used to be a mechanic checked it out and said it mostly like a bad ignition switch.
Does any of you guys has any idea what could be a problem? Thanks!

Eric,

sounds like that. My dd prelude has a key that is not joke just about wore smooth, no ridges. The day I bought it i got gas and I guess pulled the key out in the acc part and when i put the key back in it didn't do the full cycle of off acc on ignition. I think this could be the problem. Sounds like a easy fix for a mechanic though. Im not great with electrical but this sounds like that is the problem since you can start it fine with the remote.

same thing happened to me (link)
followed these instructions and has been working great ever since.
more here
could be your alarm too, but at least doing this cleaning won't take you long and won't cost you more than five bucks to determine if it is the cause or not...but it sure sounds like it.

mine to replace the ignition switch I think it was 30-80 buck I dont remember.

easy fix

Clean or replace ign. switch. New I think they are about $30-35

thanks guys for the advices. I actually called up the Ray Laks Acrura dealership in NY and asked for a quote on the ignition switch and they said it cost $1300 !?!?! Does anyone have a diagram or instruction on how to remove and clean the ignition switch? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I worked at a Honda dealership for approx. three years. Every time we had a car come in with this symptom it was the electrical part of the ignition switch. There are two bolts attaching the electrical portion to the ignition switch and one plug under the dash above the gas pedal. You will more than likely have to remove the cover under the dash and possibly the knee bolster to see what you are doing. You can still get just the electrical part of the switch from a dealer for 30-60 dollars hope that helps you out.

Last edited:
If you will go to acuraoemparts.com and put in your info there is a diagram of where it is. It's under combination switch.

Back