• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ignition switch

The last three ignition switches I purchased had to be opened up and re-clocked. There was no way the switch would fit without changing the orientation by about 90 degrees. I wonder if the part is also used by a Honda for a different application. What else could cause this? Anyone have it happen to them? Jerry

Are these 'Honda' switches or an aftermarket switch? Is the orientation problem visible from the outside of the switch? I have a new Honda switch sitting in its bag out in the garage. Its planned to go into the car as a preventative measure next year. If the problem is obvious from the outside take a picture and I can compare it to my switch to see if it suffers from the same problem.

Switch

The part is not aftermarket. I purchased it from the Acura Wearhouse. The part number is 35130-SL0-003. The switches look exactly the same. When you put the switch into the key barrel, it does not seat correctly. When compared side by side with the one in the car, it is obvious that the switch was put together incorrectly or for a different application. I will take some pictures tomorrow and upload. Jerry

Jerry:

I received your photo of the switches. The new incorrectly clocked switch is on the left (with the numbers on the switch cover) and the original switch is on the right.

IMG_3876 (1).jpg

I opened up the package on my new switch and checked it and the clocking of the switch rotating mechanism is exactly like your new switch. I got out my contact checker to confirm the status of the contacts and discovered that Honda has shipped the switch with the switch in position 1 (Accessory) rather than in position 0 (off). There is no need to pull the cover off to fix this. Just take a flat blade screwdriver and insert it into the switch mechanism and rotate counter clockwise. The switch should rotate one step from position 1 to position 0 so that it matches the switch on the right. I confirmed that with the operating mechanism in this position the switch contacts are all open so that it truly is in position 0.

Easy to fix; but, a bizarre problem. I have to admit that I would have assumed that the switch would have been shipped in position 0 ready for installation and probably would have been cursing trying to figure out why the switch wasn't fitting when it came time to do the replacement. Mine is now clocked correctly and ready for installation. Saved me some head scratching next April when I plan to replace the switch.

Very strange that Honda (or their supplier) would ship the switch in this manner; but, as I said easy to fix once you know what the problem is.

Last edited:
Good catch on fixing the switch. Perhaps this should be made a sticky as more members will be changing out the switches as these cars get older. My alarm runs through the switch. As such, it was easier to wire the alarm into the switch on the bench and make a few simple connections under the dash. Jerry

Hey old guy is your photo reversed ? ,the switch with the numbers on it is on the right on my screen

Something odd is at play. I just looked at the post and the switch with the black number stamped on it is still on the left when I look at it. However, when Ralph sent me the photo it did display 180 deg reversed when I uploaded to Prime; but, flipped when I attached the photo to the message. However, that flip seems to be ....variable? Anyway, the switch with the numbers is the one with the contacts in position1 rather than position 0.

i have just replaced the ignition switch in my 92, i had read in another thread on prime that someone that didnt know that you can rotate the switch with a screw driver had left their key in the ignition and while trying to install rotated the key until the ignition switch which i tried while also doing the screw driver trick, both worked perfectly fine! Best of luck!

I replaced many of these honda switches ,pretty much the same switch just longer wire harness .I never really paid much attention to switch orientation , disconnect battery ,if switch didn't seat i just turned the key till it seated .

Back