• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Impressions after 1000 miles...

So my car was delivered on 10/31.. I have put about 100 miles a day on it since. So here are my impressions so far...

1. It is definitely much better looking in person. I was kid of "meh" about the looks until I saw it in person. I think it has a more cohesive look than the R8 other people may think otherwise.

2. It is an attention getter. I think most mid engine cars are. I have had numerous people hanging out windows grabbing cell phone pics. I has been parked out front of every restaurant. I get the gas station crowds etc. I had a Salsa Red F-type that got a lot of looks but this is a different level. If you don't like attention don't get this car.

3. Speed. AWD electric assist the car just goes. Im coming from a RWD F type that couldn't get power down. It was overpowered and under tired. Going in a straight line was adventure in that car. This is completely opposite, no fuss no drama. I've driven the 570s, 911 turbo, R8 V10 , it feels just as quick and I know once the Mclaren gets moving its faster however despite speed there is still noticeable turbo lag. Not with this car.

4. Sound. Exhaust note kind of blah, it is not unpleasant but nothing exciting. The note does remind me if the first gen which was not overwhelming but nothing spectacular. If sound is important to you then this may not be your car.

5. Handling. I know it's around 800 pounds heavier than my first gen, but I really can't tell in in town driving. I'm sure once I get to the track I will notice. But as of now, I don't. It changes direction so nicely and feels nimble I can't believe it's almost 2 tons. I'll will report more on handling when I get it on track but so far no real bad habits. I have noticed a lot less understeer in spirited cornering than my other cars.

6. Ride. I know this is supposed to be the "comfortable supercar" but still on the firm side. Not as firm and busy as my F-type but still stiffer than my gen 1. That car did such good job of balancing ride comfort and sportiness.

7. Practicality. It is not. The trunk is laughable and still has some funky smell. My wife hates the car because she couldn't fit suitcase in the back. The "cupholders" dig into the passenger. There is no where to put anything. I think the practical label comes from the fact that is a Honda and you can drive it every day without worrying whether it will start or not.

8. Overall. Internet cowboys hate this car because they say that it isn't like the first gen. They probably have driven neither. But I have now owned both and I think they are more similar than people realize. Seating position, noise, handling feel similar...it is like my first gen on steroids.

more after my first track day

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

Nice write up, NSX is sleepy fast...JM2C...I could be wrong :tongue:

Ya it’s funny it is and isn’t like the first gen. The first gen was regarded as a surgeon. Very precise and pinpoint. It did this by being light weight and very mechanical. The new one is again a surgeon. This time it is heavy, but counters that with huge doses of technology. Same results just different methods.

8. Overall. Internet cowboys hate this car because they say that it isn't like the first gen. They probably have driven neither. But I have now owned both and I think they are more similar than people realize. Seating position, noise, handling feel similar...it is like my first gen on steroids.

These are my exact sentiments about the Gen2. I wish I still had my Gen1.

If you enjoy it, screw what other people say about it. For 200k/160k I could easily walk away from this car even if I had it to just burn. The car after incentives and discounts is right on par for the performance and the comps. The real test will be if people actually order for msrp in 2018. But I am not so sure it will move much then at the higher cost. For everyone that got them for 140k or less, got a perfectly priced and very nice car in my opinion.

If you enjoy it, screw what other people say about it. For 200k/160k I could easily walk away from this car even if I had it to just burn. The car after incentives and discounts is right on par for the performance and the comps. The real test will be if people actually order for msrp in 2018. But I am not so sure it will move much then at the higher cost. For everyone that got them for 140k or less, got a perfectly priced and very nice car in my opinion.

Because at a 140k it is right on par with all of the other supercars that are in the price range. Where is that list? Can you list those please?

Because at a 140k it is right on par with all of the other supercars that are in the price range. Where is that list? Can you list those please?
Nismo GTR and Mercedes AMG GTS

Thanks for the candid review! Did you get the carbon or steel brakes?

Steel. The car will be tracked. No way I’m going to replace the CCB after a few track days. That gets $$$. My F type had CCB and weighed about the same. After two track days and 15,000 miles they were toast.

MC

So my car was delivered on 10/31.. I have put about 100 miles a day on it since. So here are my impressions so far...

1. It is definitely much better looking in person. I was kid of "meh" about the looks until I saw it in person. I think it has a more cohesive look than the R8 other people may think otherwise.

2. It is an attention getter. I think most mid engine cars are. I have had numerous people hanging out windows grabbing cell phone pics. I has been parked out front of every restaurant. I get the gas station crowds etc. I had a Salsa Red F-type that got a lot of looks but this is a different level. If you don't like attention don't get this car.

3. Speed. AWD electric assist the car just goes. Im coming from a RWD F type that couldn't get power down. It was overpowered and under tired. Going in a straight line was adventure in that car. This is completely opposite, no fuss no drama. I've driven the 570s, 911 turbo, R8 V10 , it feels just as quick and I know once the Mclaren gets moving its faster however despite speed there is still noticeable turbo lag. Not with this car.

4. Sound. Exhaust note kind of blah, it is not unpleasant but nothing exciting. The note does remind me if the first gen which was not overwhelming but nothing spectacular. If sound is important to you then this may not be your car.

5. Handling. I know it's around 800 pounds heavier than my first gen, but I really can't tell in in town driving. I'm sure once I get to the track I will notice. But as of now, I don't. It changes direction so nicely and feels nimble I can't believe it's almost 2 tons. I'll will report more on handling when I get it on track but so far no real bad habits. I have noticed a lot less understeer in spirited cornering than my other cars.

6. Ride. I know this is supposed to be the "comfortable supercar" but still on the firm side. Not as firm and busy as my F-type but still stiffer than my gen 1. That car did such good job of balancing ride comfort and sportiness.

7. Practicality. It is not. The trunk is laughable and still has some funky smell. My wife hates the car because she couldn't fit suitcase in the back. The "cupholders" dig into the passenger. There is no where to put anything. I think the practical label comes from the fact that is a Honda and you can drive it every day without worrying whether it will start or not.

more after my first track day

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

Hows the bumper clearance comparing your F-Type? I'm coming from an F-Type R myself into an NSX that I bought a few days ago!

Sorry, I have to reply to this..

You're comparing a Nismo GTR.. (track-based fast, yet super large coupe with no comfort that is over 4100lbs with driver and I'm not saying the NSX is a lightweight either but.. come on) and an AMG GTS (which by the way is a GT cruiser, NOT a supercar, and while it's driver-centric is overpriced for what it is).

That comparison is akin to comparing an M4 to a S63 AMG. Both are about as fast as each other, but serve different purposes.

Things that the NSX does that the other two do not:
-Hybrid powertrain
-Mid engine design
-Super car looks (AMG GTS is close but no cigar)
-Rarity
-Performance Delivery (the others are about same track/speed performance but experience is different)
-Attention getting looks

The difference between the NSX and other supercars though?
Let's see here... hybrid powertrain and.. well that's about it?

Nismo GTR and Mercedes AMG GTS

GTR is so ugly I wouldnt buy it using your $. Merc looks good to me but I'm not 70 years old and thats my perception of the people who buy mercs. The new NSX is so good it's throwing off my perception of what I want in a sports/super car. Quiet mode is so good the car is making me think twice about my wanting to get a 2nd Lambo (drove the Gallardo Spyder most of this week and could only find flaws in it except for sound, top down and looks)

GTR is so ugly I wouldnt buy it using your $. Merc looks good to me but I'm not 70 years old and thats my perception of the people who buy mercs. The new NSX is so good it's throwing off my perception of what I want in a sports/super car. Quiet mode is so good the car is making me think twice about my wanting to get a 2nd Lambo (drove the Gallardo Spyder most of this week and could only find flaws in it except for sound, top down and looks)
I will agree with you on both accounts. I was asked for comps in the price range, I merely provided. What I did not include was the Jaguar F type R in that price range. Because if you know cars or have lived the past 35 years, you know Jags are the biggest turds under then sun in forms of reliability... However, it is still a competitor in the 150k price range.

Sorry, I have to reply to this..

You're comparing a Nismo GTR.. (track-based fast, yet super large coupe with no comfort that is over 4100lbs with driver and I'm not saying the NSX is a lightweight either but.. come on) and an AMG GTS (which by the way is a GT cruiser, NOT a supercar, and while it's driver-centric is overpriced for what it is).

That comparison is akin to comparing an M4 to a S63 AMG. Both are about as fast as each other, but serve different purposes.

Things that the NSX does that the other two do not:
-Hybrid powertrain
-Mid engine design
-Super car looks (AMG GTS is close but no cigar)
-Rarity
-Performance Delivery (the others are about same track/speed performance but experience is different)
-Attention getting looks

The difference between the NSX and other supercars though?
Let's see here... hybrid powertrain and.. well that's about it?
So I agree on a lot of this for a 140k price. But for 200k price, where do you stand???

So who is ordering a 2018 for msrp talking all this crap like it’s a 200k supercar?:biggrin:

So I agree on a lot of this for a 140k price. But for 200k price, where do you stand???

The thing is; you don't HAVE to spend 200k. You can spend 160K. The CF+ nouvelle color combo alone is like 25K+ if I'm not mistaken.

The car looks as good as any supercar, it's right up there with performance (who cares about a tenth or two here and there, besides a Turbo S will outdo any modern exotic anyway in a straight line), it's a hybrid and modern powertrain, has a DCT and it most likely reliable..

And what supercars can you really buy for 200k anyway? None of them. They start at 190-200k for most of them except R8/911 Turbo which don't offer much for basic options.

A 200k Turbo S probably doesn't even have keyless entry, damper settings or even active exhaust.

Last edited:
So who is ordering a 2018 for msrp talking all this crap like it’s a 200k supercar?:biggrin:

I'm cheap so I would never pay 200k for the nsx if msrp was 200k. I wouldn't have bought the new one without 30% off. So if it was $140k msrp I wouldn't be owning it until 2-3 yrs down the road because I don't like paying full price for anything even if it was worth every penny. But as it is, it didnt make sense to wait for used. I figured worst case was $30k downside from the price I paid and worse case prices go higher if they stay rare and low production. Having it new, full warranty was worth the downside risk.

The thing is; you don't HAVE to spend 200k. You can spend 160K. The CF+ nouvelle color combo alone is like 25K+ if I'm not mistaken.

The car looks as good as any supercar, it's right up there with performance (who cares about a tenth or two here and there, besides a Turbo S will outdo any modern exotic anyway in a straight line), it's a hybrid and modern powertrain, has a DCT and it most likely reliable..

And what supercars can you really buy for 200k anyway? None of them. They start at 190-200k for most of them except R8/911 Turbo which don't offer much for basic options.

A 200k Turbo S probably doesn't even have keyless entry, damper settings or even active exhaust.

Have you guys been paying attention to what I have said at all? The car for 130-140k is a DEAL as I have mentioned.
The funny thing is, everyone who bought the car recently, bought it at a fire sale discount. Now they all claim it is totally worth the msrp? I drove this car 10 months ago... It wasn’t worth 200k then with options and it still isn’t worth it now. The 2018 order slot will be far and few. Giving proof to the car being worth about 150k totally spec’d out.

Also, to the O.P.congrats. As well as anyone who wheeled and dealed on this car. It was wise. Enjoy it. I am only saying the car isn’t worth msrp and it would be a cold day in hell when a 2018 fetches that msrp cost.

I'm cheap so I would never pay 200k for the nsx if msrp was 200k. I wouldn't have bought the new one without 30% off. So if it was $140k msrp I wouldn't be owning it until 2-3 yrs down the road because I don't like paying full price for anything even if it was worth every penny. But as it is, it didnt make sense to wait for used. I figured worst case was $30k downside from the price I paid and worse case prices go higher if they stay rare and low production. Having it new, full warranty was worth the downside risk.
Smart man.

Have you guys been paying attention to what I have said at all? The car for 130-140k is a DEAL as I have mentioned.
The funny thing is, everyone who bought the car recently, bought it at a fire sale discount. Now they all claim it is totally worth the msrp? I drove this car 10 months ago... It wasn’t worth 200k then with options and it still isn’t worth it now. The 2018 order slot will be far and few. Giving proof to the car being worth about 150k totally spec’d out.

You didn’t say it was a deal you said it was perfectly priced at that number. If you are saying it is a deal then yes it is an amazing deal. A few people in here are saying that it should of been priced at that number originally which undercuts the whole market by a huge amount makes no sense.

The Nismo GTR is 175k MSRP. It’s got a back seat and isn’t in the same league as far as technology.

The AMG GTS would be price wise in that range but the AMG GTR would be more along the lines if at all and then you just jumped back up to that high ticket price.

Again value is perceived. If all the press was done well out of the gate and all the press was saying the NSX was a baby 918 and the car was limited. There wouldn’t of been any deals on this car, especially at this point. It was an anomaly. I can’t complain I’m happy.

Last edited:
The nismo and the AMG GTR are priced accordingly to the “msrp”of the new nsx. Actually, a little bit less than the nsx cost for a few silly matte carbon fiber bits and CCB’s that melt like butter on the track. The AMG GTR would also destroy a nsx on track or street. You guys keep taking a nsx at bottom end cost and comparing it to cars that cost the exact same msrp or less.:confused:

We have been in these discussions for over a year now. You’re a new owner. Enjoy it. But please, we have heard this all before... It’s a great car. But if it was really so great, how come no one jumped on it 1 year ago? Now all of the sudden, we should all be surprised and mesmerized? Don’t get me wrong, I said many months ago that I would like both gens in my garage. However, I would never pay the asking price because I know it isn’t worth it. Just like all of you new owners waited for fire sales. So, where is the line in the sand? At what point did you say, “ok this car is worth X amount of dollars”?

Last edited:
The nismo and the AMG GTR are priced accordingly to the “msrp”of the new nsx. Actually, a little bit less than the nsx cost for a few silly matte carbon fiber bits and CCB’s that melt like butter on the track. The AMG GTR would also destroy a nsx on track or street. You guys keep taking a nsx at bottom end cost and comparing it to cars that cost the exact same msrp or less.:confused:

We have been in these discussions for over a year now. You’re a new owner. Enjoy it. But please, we have heard this all before... It’s a great car. But if it was really so great, how come no one jumped on it 1 year ago? Now all of the sudden, we should all be surprised and mesmerized? Don’t get me wrong, I said many months ago that I would like both gens in my garage. However, I would never pay the asking price because I know it isn’t worth it. Just like all of you new owners waited for fire sales. So, where is the line in the sand? At what point did you say, “ok this car is worth X amount of dollars”?

Haha. You are indeed right. I bet these pointless conversations go on in here so often. I’ll pass on continuing this conversation.

Well, let me tell you a few things from my "perspective".

I've owned almost everything one would "want" to buy under 250k. Out of all the cars being featured in "best driver's cars" vids on youtube.. I've owned a GT3, GT350, 570s, M4, M5, Turbo S and last but not least an F-Type R.. all of which were hailed as "great buys for the money" whatever the price point was.

While the NSX has short comings, even the "best of the best" have equal amounts of shortcomings.. this car was unlucky due to the marketing and overall perception being skewed due to not being a manual, highrevving, N/A V10 supercar (which let's be honest would be a terrible drive for anyone who isn't living on a track).

AMG GTR is out of question. It's great around a track and everyone knows it, but if you want a track car, buy a Z06 with an auto and be done with it. Half the price and you got a track performer. You can't buy an AMG-GTR EVEN if you WANTED to due to all being sold for who knows what over sticker price. Is the AMG GTR worth the 250k asking price these days.. HELL NO. And Nismo GT-R.. old tech nowadays. Still potent of course, but they are really milking the platform and when you get into the car, it shows it's almost 10 years of age (alcantara bits or not).

Here are my experiences:
Shelby GT350: Completely shoddy interior/weird engines noises (ended up getting fixed for some piston slap)
GT3: Replaced engine, otherwise great car.
570s: Terrible interior (opinion of course) but also buggy and always needed weird things fixed (lights, dash lights, weird random CEL's)
M4: Clunk galore, so many squeaks and weird noises made it terrible to drive.
M5: Great car, but too heavy and hard to drive 10/10ths because of weight/tq ratio.
Turbo S: For 200k, it was a missile and nice fit and finish to everything but had almost no amenities such as PDCC, keyless entry etc.
F-Type R: Great sounds and looks but almost claustrophobic for any passengers due to almost no leg room and the fact that I had to replace the engine/exhaust/Co2 sensors (I'm talking ladies 5'7" even)

Short comings of the NSX?
I'd say it's interior and exhaust noise not being quite the level of 200k..

But then the Turbo S had a much worse exhaust note and the 570s has a horrible interior (weird stitching everywhere made it look like a kit car).

EDIT:
One other thing.. is a Turbo S really worth almost 100k over a Carrera S? No.
Is an Nismo worth it over a Nissan GTR? No.
AMG GTR? A little easier to a pill to swallow, but I'm on the line of no. And yes, I've driven one.

At the end of the day you are comparing cars with much lower price to entry such as GT-R/911 where it has much cheaper siblings to offer a value to you. NSX is in a league of supercars, there is no baby "cheap" NSX. Park a GT-R next to an NSX, and not a single person would care about looking at dime-a-dozen Nissan GTR's.. and that's the reality of it.

Last edited:
Haha. You are indeed right. I bet these pointless conversations go on in here so often. I’ll pass on continuing this conversation.
Smart man. Just go drive it.... It is so far away from the gen 1 that it’s appalling. Total numbness of speed and steering.
A daily driver? Totally! A car that sparks emotion and makes you dream of driving it? Nope.

Last edited:
Back