• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

In-car footage of Audi R8 Wreck at VIR

I'd be saying the same thing! $@#@#$!@##@!!!

....ummm....I am going to VIR this weekend and running Monday and Tuesday...I am suddenly nervous. :frown:

Do you see any egregious faults here? I can't hear the motor well enough to know whether he was lifting as he turned in. Other than that I can't see a whole lot that was done wrong. He HAD to have lifted as he turned in, right? R8 is mid-engined, after all. He didn't wheel-whip with fast hands as he turned in. WTF? Squirrely alignment? Is the R8 unstable?!?

Definitely feel for "Tim". :frown:

it seems maybe riding the curb a little just enough to spin the car??

could that also be the viper in front spilling some oil on road?

it looks like he was going too fast into the turn he was coming out of so he couldnt get on a line, tried to correct too much,

hes going to need a whole lot of polish to get that out:tongue:

oh and theres another video of it that will come up when that video finishes, its like 5 minutes long, starts with picks, some track, then video of the carnage at the end

The whole accident sounded worse than it was, as for damage. Personally I like the silver R8 better. Black hides the contours of the car....

LOL "Please dont hit the wall.....Please dont hit the wall........ Please dont hit the wall" Bang............ More money that brains and or driving skills, over driving the car will always bite you in the ass regardless of where the engine is.

Armando

The damage after the fact was less than I thought it would be on an R8.

....ummm....I am going to VIR this weekend and running Monday and Tuesday...I am suddenly nervous. :frown:

Don't worry. Just don't lift in the uphill S. It looks like he went in way too fast + lifted. In that situation, I'd probably have just gone straight off rather than try to make the corner. But the damage really doesn't seem all that bad.

Ouch! Thank god for the PS3. I have had many occasions like that and it didn't cost me anything. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

LOL "Please dont hit the wall.....Please dont hit the wall........ Please dont hit the wall" Bang............ More money that brains and or driving skills, over driving the car will always bite you in the ass regardless of where the engine is.

This seems a pretty smug response. I mean its not like the driver did anything egregiously wrong or stupid, just pushed the car a bit too hard at a bad spot in the track.

There are so many things wrong with this video.

1. Approaching the corner too fast(trying to catch the viper).
2. Early apexing the 1st Rt. bend. Which led to..
3. Running out of space at "track out" which led him to steering to the Rt. with the car completely pointed in the wrong direction when he should be steering to the Lt.
4. He realizes he isn't going to make the 2nd bend to the Left and lifts while going over the mini hill. This unloaded the suspension and him steering the car to the Lt. while doing this seals the deal. After that he is just a passenger in the vehicle.

Sad video but hopefully a learing experience for other track guys.

Last edited:
Sad video but hopefully a learing experience for other track guys.

true story! you need to know the theorys and techniques to how to drive on a race track, if your a noob with a new car you cant just follow something like a tricked out viper around the track and expect not to crash

sad day for that r8, hard to tell from the video since its really grainey but most likely somewhere between 10 and 20k to fix assuming he takes it to a quality place.

In the extended version of the video showing the damage, you see that he's a fellow Virginia Tech Hokie like me. The results of the video do not reflect the educational standards at VaTech. :tongue:

He came over the hump in the wrong direction, way too hot, because his ego got the best of him behind that Viper. He corrected his steering while his wheels were unweighted. When the front settled, they bit but instead of gradually turning and having the rear wheels follow the front, the fronts went in the direction he steered while the rears were still unweighted. This snapped the car more sideways than his skill level allowed him to recover from when the rears finally got some traction. IMO

He wont do that again.

Im shocked at how little the damage was.

Man... Please go to Bob Bondurant or whatever racing school there is with your new sports car before u actually go full speed on a technical race track like VIR. But then again, he's probably rich enough to pay for the damage anyways, better luck next time.

Back