• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Infiniti G35 vs NSX

92 NSX VS 2004 Infiniti G35

My friend just bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe (automatic). He keeps bragging about how much torque his car has. He said it has 280 horsepower with 270lbs of torque. I know that the Infiniti G35 is a more luxirious model of the Nissan 350z *the body style looks similiar*. I checked the stats on my 1992 Nsx (5-speed) and it has 270 horsepower with only 210 pounds of torque. His car has 60 pounds more torque.

The only modification I did to my NSX was adding comptech headers and exhaust. My friend wants to race me off the line because he feels confident he can beat my car. He read the specs on my car and realized that his car will humuliate me and my NSX. I am going to race him in a few days and all my friends will be watching. I don't want to race him if I know he will beat me......... Has anyone raced a G35 is it faster than the NSX from 0 to 60??

Thanks

well first it's kinda hard to post this type of stuff because the members on this forum tend to be very conservative at times..

anyways.. I believe you shouldn't have a problem at all

Give me a break. You will cream that thing. A stock NSX will easily beat a 350 Z 6-speed. Don't even worry about a G35 Automatic.

My question is this how can the NSX beat an Infiniti G35 when the car has 260 pounds of torque compared to 210 for the NSX. They are both pretty similiar in weight. This always intrigued me about the NSX. If this is the case then torque doesn't matter??

launch matters, your gearing is superior, and your power to weight ratio is much better

I should have mentioned that I have driven a G35 coupe 6-speed, so I am familiar with the car. It is really really nice. I loved the interior (far better than a 350). The clutch was too light though and it did NOT have a nice engine sound at all from inside. (truck-like). It can sqeek the tires on the 1-2 shift.

I really think it is a great car for the money, but there is NO CHANCE it would beat the NSX in a race or in the twisties.

Everyone who gets a new car these days think they can beat our NSX's! :mad:

If you look at this website it shows that a 1992 Acura Nsx goes from 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. When I looked at the specs for the Infiniti G35, the G35 reaches 60 mps in 5.8 seconds.

If this is the case then I will beat the G35 by a small margin, and that is if I get a good start by working the clutch the engine rpm perfectly. This will be a close call if you ask me.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/other-cars/imports/acura-nsx/acura-nsx.shtml

Try these times from motor trend on a 94.

NSX/94 3.0/V-6/5M/rwd 270/7100 210/5300
0-60: 5.3
1/4: 13.6/105.7

KennyNsx said:
If you look at this website it shows that a 1992 Acura Nsx goes from 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. When I looked at the specs for the Infiniti G35, the G35 reaches 60 mps in 5.8 seconds.

it's not the same type of seconds ! :D

yea right 0-60 is around 5.3-5.4
anyways
take out ur spare tire, tool kit, and engine cover.. shave off a good 60 lbs?

i dunno.. anyways don't worry haha.. I'll race it if you want me too

Also figure you are making at least 290 HP with your mods. That will take another .4 off your 0-60 and maybe .5 off the 1/4 mile total.

Thanks for all the tips and motivation :D
Yeah I am going to race him then, I had a new clutch, timing belt, complete tune up 300 miles ago. Basically there should be nothing that would slow me down.

One question my mechanic told me that there was a catalyc converter installed as well in addition to the exhaust and headers. He made it sound like it was a bad thing. I don't too much about mechanical stuff. (I bought the car about a year ago) It came with all the upgrades. I really like my car.

Back to this catalyc converting thing-- does all NSX's have this? Is this a bad thing? Should I take it off?

KennyNsx said:
Anyone know about this catalyc converter on my NSX.. is this a good thing or bad thing?

Holy cow, you're kidding right?

If you take it off you are violating many state and federal laws (unless its broken and you are forced to to change it). You can take it off, but just don't drive it on public roads.

Also, I hope when you race you are doing it legally at a local strip.

Another thing to add is manufacturer rated horsepower does not mean anything. It's all about power to the wheels. An automatic car will always have less horsepower going to the wheels than its manual counterpart.

I would bet that if you and your friend dynoed your car, the G35 will make less power to the wheels than yours.

Good Idea I will video tape the race.
Please pm me if you are interested in seeing the video.

I should have it done by the end of this week.

Once again! Good Idea

KennyNsx said:
Good Idea I will video tape the race.
Please pm me if you are interested in seeing the video.

I should have it done by the end of this week.

Once again! Good Idea

Werd! I'm sure you can find someone on Prime that can host it for you also.. :D

Already mentioned, but make sure you <B>TURN OFF</B> traction control before your friendly encounter with G35.

Don't video tape it either! If you must take video, make your friend do it, why would you want the extra weight of a passenger in car?

Reiterating what Sig said about passengers, if you can convince him to have a passenger in his vehicle that would be very comical. Don't you worry about videoing the encounter, focus on kicking his a** and then just relay the story. Hearing/ reading is sometimes better than seeing it.

I raced a 97 M3 that had headers and exhaust (300 hp he claimed)and we were dead even through pretty much every gear and I had a 200 lb passenger and a trunk full of golf clubs. I don't think the G35 should be much problem.

Back