• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside of '02 front wheel scored

Not sure why, but all of a sudden one of my front wheels (02+) is making contact with my '91 calipers, despite a 5mm spacer. The other seems fine. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks guys, I'll check both the lug nuts and wheel bearing.

Seems like the bottom of the caliper is the culprit. Shouldn't the top and bottom be equally spaced from the inside of the wheel?

Thanks guys, I'll check both the lug nuts and wheel bearing.

Seems like the bottom of the caliper is the culprit. Shouldn't the top and bottom be equally spaced from the inside of the wheel?

Ooh, that reminds me of another possibility. Check your caliper slide pins for excessive wear. I had a problem with mine in that the grease used was not adequate for track use and it turned into a gooey mess, resulting in the caliper torquing on the slide pins and ultimately uneven wear on the pads.

Not a stretch to imagine that if the clearance was already pretty tight that a worn slide pin could eliminate the clearance.

P.S. Thinking about this further, my suggestion on a wheel bearing failure is probably wrong: if it was a bearing both the wheel and the caliper (as one assembly on the spindle) would move so it would not change the relationship between the caliper and the wheel.

Last edited:
Ouch, that could cause the wheel to fail if scored just the right way - it is a forging -

Not sure why, but all of a sudden one of my front wheels (02+) is making contact with my '91 calipers, despite a 5mm spacer. The other seems fine. Anybody else have this issue?

are you sure its all of a sudden....could you have possibly not had the spacer on for a while?

Well, I checked the bearing and it seems to be okay. Without the spacer, the wheel simply won't fit over the caliper, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't driven without it. It seems like the issue comes and goes.

I'm doing a track day tomorrow, so I'll be keeping a very close eye on it. If it continues, I'll pull the caliper apart to check on the integrity of the guide pins.

Not really looking to jump to a bigger spacer for fear of insufficient turns on the lugs, but we'll see.

I'm doing a track day tomorrow, so I'll be keeping a very close eye on it. If it continues, I'll pull the caliper apart to check on the integrity of the guide pins.

This is a very bad idea. I am genuinely concerned for your safety and the well being of your NSX. Fix then track.

You should not need to pull anything apart, how close is the caliper to the wheel? Are the bolts tight on the caliper (pad carrier to knuckle and pad carrier to caliper?)

Well, it seems as though the issue was simply poorly reinstalled wheel after removal. Most likely due to tightening lugs without the wheel properly seated.

I removed the wheel to inspect everything and all seemed fine. After installing the wheel (properly) I drove around and confirmed no more contact.

The clearance with the 5mm spacer is minimal, but it does clear.

I will continue to monitor, but the track day went fine without any issues.

Since it's time for new rubber anyways, I may consider a different set of wheels with greater clearance (no spacers) or upgrading to the 97+ brakes.

Thoughts?

Personally I would go with bolt on spacers with that wheel combo, most people feel that 25mm/25mm or 15mm/25mm spacers will make the '02 wheels much more "flush" sort of kill 2 birds with one stone.

I would also carefully check the wheel that is scored and maybe clean up the scored area to remove any stress risers.

Back