• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intake manifold information

yes to your question^
Ken @FXMD was working on something a while back and hopefuly still is, its posted on here on the first thread for N/A.
In the meantime i will get my spare one ported this year and try and do a comparison

Thinking out loud... if one is to design the perfect plenum manifold for NSX, there is hardly any other car with more space to do so! If one isn't restricting himself to the engine cover, you can create the ideal runner that is perfectly matched to the intake ports. The real question is how many NSX owners will buy it for the performance and how many will NOT buy it because they would lose the engine cover. Lets assume the ideal plenum manifold would bring 40 bhp (~34 whp)... would you buy it?

I was just discussing this at the shop today haha! I don't know if I should start a whole new thread but I am now to the point where I am finalizing the shape and volume of my manifold for the C30/32. Space under the engine cover is limited, but I am able to get roughly 5.3L of plenum volume as long as the cover is spaced up a 1/4 of an inch(easy to do with washers). If I were to make the plenum 2 inches taller(remove engine cover) then I would get the ideal volume for my turbo build (roughly 8.3L). I am going to offer two options for volume which would cover most NA applications and one that would cover FI as well. I will ask anyone who would be interested to please let me know the importance of the engine cover with regard to the design of the intake manifold. I am also thinking of adding the EGR function if that would suit potential buyers.. There will be throttle body options as well but I will cover that later. I am just getting a feel before I do the final iteration.

Last edited:
I was just discussing this at the shop today haha! I don't know if I should start a whole new thread but I am now to the point where I am finalizing the shape and volume of my manifold for the C30/32. Space under the engine cover is limited, but I am able to get roughly 5.3L of plenum volume as long as the cover is spaced up a 1/4 of an inch(easy to do with washers). If I were to make the plenum 2 inches taller(remove engine cover) then I would get the ideal volume for my turbo build (roughly 8.3L). I am going to offer two options for volume which would cover most NA applications and one that would cover FI as well. I will ask anyone who would be interested to please let me know the importance of the engine cover with regard to the design of the intake manifold. I am also thinking of adding the EGR function if that would suit potential buyers.. There will be throttle body options as well but I will cover that later. I am just getting a feel before I do the final iteration.

For me personally, the engine cover is not a big deal.

Personally, I do want to keep the engine cover. In my eyes, the NSX is slowly becoming a classic car and I’d like to keep mine relatively stock looking.

If a new intake manifold is designed, I think it would be great if not only the plenum volume were optimized, but also the cross section and length of the runners. And it would be great if the runners were kept smooth – if no Z-shaped kinks or corners were introduced.

In a naturally aspirated application, FastraxTurbo did a dyno test with a stock intake manifold, with a ported intake manifold minus the VVIS plate, and with a ported intake manifold that had its center divider machined away and that had the outer walls of the gutted VVIS plate reinstalled (to maximize the volume of the plenum). Here were his results:

VVIS_dyno_chart.jpg

To visualize what those different intake manifold configurations look like, I sketched them based on one of Honda’s cutaway drawings.

OEM_intake_manifold_and_VVIS_plate.png

OEM_intake_manifold_without_VVIS_plate.png

OEM_intake_manifold_with_center_divider_machined_away_and_gutted_VVIS_plate.png

For shits and giggles, I also sketched an OEM intake manifold with a one inch spacer between it and the cylinder heads and a correspondingly deeper plenum.

OEM_intake_manifold_with_gutted_VVIS_plate_and_1_inch_spacers.png

That looks like one big plenum! Since the mating surface of the intake manifold and cylinder heads is not at a right angle to the airflow, installing a spacer between the two unfortunately creates a Z-shaped kink in the runners. Depending on how thick the spacer is, the spray from the fuel injectors might also start hitting the upper walls of the intake ports in the cylinder heads instead of shooting straight down the backs of the intake valves, but maybe some aftermarket injectors that spray at an angle could take care of that.

I wonder what intake manifold would be optimal for a turbo and what would be optimal for a naturally aspirated engine. If I remember correctly, turbo engines benefit from removing the VVIS system. Of the three configurations FastraxTurbo dyno tested in a naturally aspirated NSX, the one with the VVIS in place looks best overall. However, it would be great to have more n/a dyno measurements plus an understanding of why a certain design is best in a particular application.

Last edited:
Personally, I do want to keep the engine cover. In my eyes, the NSX is slowly becoming a classic car and I’d like to keep mine relatively stock looking.

If a new intake manifold is designed, I think it would be great if not only the plenum volume were optimized, but also the cross section and length of the runners. And it would be great if the runners were kept smooth – if no Z-shaped kinks or corners were introduced.

In a naturally aspirated application, FastraxTurbo did a dyno test with a stock intake manifold, with a ported intake manifold minus the VVIS plate, and with a ported intake manifold that had its center divider machined away and that had the outer walls of the gutted VVIS plate reinstalled (to maximize the volume of the plenum). Here were his results:

VVIS_dyno_chart.jpg

To visualize what those different intake manifold configurations look like, I sketched them based on one of Honda’s cutaway drawings.

OEM_intake_manifold_and_VVIS_plate.png

OEM_intake_manifold_without_VVIS_plate.png

OEM_intake_manifold_with_center_divider_machined_away_and_gutted_VVIS_plate.png

For shits and giggles, I also sketched an OEM intake manifold with a one inch spacer between it and the cylinder heads and a correspondingly deeper plenum.

OEM_intake_manifold_with_gutted_VVIS_plate_and_1_inch_spacers.png

That looks like one big plenum! Since the mating surface of the intake manifold and cylinder heads is not at a right angle to the airflow, installing a spacer between the two unfortunately creates a Z-shaped kink in the runners. Depending on how thick the spacer is, the spray from the fuel injectors might start hitting the upper walls of the intake ports in the cylinder heads instead of shooting straight down the backs of the intake valves.

I wonder what intake manifold would be optimal for a turbo and what would be optimal for a naturally aspirated engine. If I remember correctly, turbo engines benefit from removing the VVIS system. Of the three configurations FastraxTurbo dyno tested in a naturally aspirated NSX, the one with the VVIS in place looks best overall. However, it would be great to have more n/a dyno measurements plus an understanding of why a certain design is best.

Thanks! You did a great job sketching to give us a visual! I am actually finishing up my manifold I will be testing within the next month. I will have stock vs. my modified manifold so we can see some solid differences in design. From testing we have confirmed that on a NA NSX keeping the VVIS is essential to insure low to mid range power. On a turbo we have picked up power eliminating it and using one of our Plenum spacers. I'll post up my findings soon.

For me personally, the engine cover is not a big deal.

Thanks for the input. However, I am able to get my desired plenum volume for the NA application manifold with the factory cover. It will need spaced up 1/4 of an inch though and spacers will be supplied. I am making another version for outright HP that will be a little bigger and the engine cover will have to come off for that one.

- - - Updated - - -

As stated above, there will be a manifold option that will allow for the factory cover. The manifold will be optimized as much as possible in all categories, and by the design alone will provide more hp than originally thought. The FI model will take advantage of the large amount off space above the factory cover to provide the volume needed for the buyer wanting large HP numbers and a very broad high rpm powerband. The runners do match the angle of entry to the cylinder head, and the head flanges will be shaped accordingly to prevent the "z" shape you are referring to. I am even looking into making a matched set of billet fuel rails to accompany the manifold to complete the package.

Last edited:
Intake manifold shootout?

dms vs. ghetto vs. Prospeed

Winner: Us the consumer!

i'm going to cheat by coming out last. =) on a seriously note i do not like compromises when it comes to NA parts design unless the compromise is absolutely necessary. if we (AKMEE) do it you guys will have to toss the engine cover. no if's and no but's. i no care if you want engine cover.

Last edited:

Would def be interested in the larger plenum version, not using a engine cover anyway. Pushing close to 600whp and I know the stock manifold/TB have to be huge bottleneck.

Also interested in the larger optimized version and don't care about the engine cover despite having a targa. Looking forward to this and thanks to all who continue development on NSX aftermarket parts!

P.S. I have a ported/polished intake manifold already and prospeed thermal gaskets. I also bought the AS Motorsport gaskets for when I go turbo.

P.S.S. Will your manifold retain the oem intake manifold cover and plate or will it delete those? If deleted it would be a good idea to pay attention to aesthetics as well and make this a real "crowning" showpiece like gsrboy's a-m-a-z-i-n-g manifold or perhaps something like the carbon ones found on Ferrari/Lamborghini (if carbon I would suggest no logos though).

Last edited:
To all those interested in my versions of the manifold. I have finished the prototype and I should have a finalized version in a couple of weeks. I have calculated the finalized plenum volume to be very close to 7.2L with the engine cover (spaced 1/8 inch in front)give or take of course. It will support any type of NA application as long as you don't just run only the manifold. I am assuming everyone who buys this will have some supporting mods so my dyno testing will reflect that (ex. headers, exhaust, and some form of tuning). Since the parts I have produced for my NA1 have already depleted the fuel delivery system I suggest everyone who installs this to upgrade the fuel system including the injectors. This manifold size is enough to support an engine making almost 200 percent VE naturally aspirated. Since the C30 and C32 engines will never surpass that it will never be a restriction. Even at the engine's biggest displacement this manifold will only produce more power. It can cover just about every forced induction setup as well. I have built turbo setups on 4 cylinders with intake manifolds in the 5.5L range making close to 1000BHP so this manifold will more than suffice a FI application as well. On the NSXs with throttle cable it will accommodate a BLOX Honda 76MM throttle body and for the DBW guys there will be a throttle adapter flange to accommodate the factory throttle body. If anyone wants to run my AEM Infinity PNP setup I can handle the task of getting you a bigger DBW throttle body that will work too.
Despite the manifold having some versatility, I will still make a bigger volume version of this as well. It will accommodate only a 90MM throttle body( I have not chosen the type yet) and the plenum volume will be roughly 9L. This is for outright HP (more than 1000whp) and high rpm operation. I will start on this manifold after the smaller one is done and I am satisfied with it.
To those who know what they are looking at you will see some sneakiness in the design but I am trying not to go overboard until I test the first one :) To those waiting last to produce one I'm not giving out the design secrets all at once. There will be some iterations in the future to keep it ahead of the curve haha.
The manifold will be all aluminum, probably brushed and/or polished. I have tucked everything underneath it (sensors, throttle cable, vacuum ports) to make it the centerpiece of attention and most importantly clean. So far it only weighs in at 14lbs (stock with TB 34lbs) but I will weigh it in when it is done. I will post a teaser shot of the rough prototype if anyone is interested in seeing it at the early stages. I have so much more to tell but in due time. If anyone has any reasonable questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
To all those interested in my versions of the manifold. I have finished the prototype and I should have a finalized version in a couple of weeks. I have calculated the finalized plenum volume to be very close to 7.2L with the engine cover (spaced 1/8 inch in front)give or take of course. It will support any type of NA application as long as you don't just run only the manifold. I am assuming everyone who buys this will have some supporting mods so my dyno testing will reflect that (ex. headers, exhaust, and some form of tuning). Since the parts I have produced for my NA1 have already depleted the fuel delivery system I suggest everyone who installs this to upgrade the fuel system including the injectors. This manifold size is enough to support an engine making almost 200 percent VE naturally aspirated. Since the C30 and C32 engines will never surpass that it will never be a restriction. Even at the engine's biggest displacement this manifold will only produce more power. It can cover just about every forced induction setup as well. I have built turbo setups on 4 cylinders with intake manifolds in the 5.5L range making close to 1000BHP so this manifold will more than suffice a FI application as well. On the NSXs with throttle cable it will accommodate a BLOX Honda 76MM throttle body and for the DBW guys there will be a throttle adapter flange to accommodate the factory throttle body. If anyone wants to run my AEM Infinity PNP setup I can handle the task of getting you a bigger DBW throttle body that will work too.
Despite the manifold having some versatility, I will still make a bigger volume version of this as well. It will accommodate only a 90MM throttle body( I have not chosen the type yet) and the plenum volume will be roughly 9L. This is for outright HP (more than 1000whp) and high rpm operation. I will start on this manifold after the smaller one is done and I am satisfied with it.
To those who know what they are looking at you will see some sneakiness in the design but I am trying not to go overboard until I test the first one :) To those waiting last to produce one I'm not giving out the design secrets all at once. There will be some iterations in the future to keep it ahead of the curve haha.
The manifold will be all aluminum, probably brushed and/or polished. I have tucked everything underneath it (sensors, throttle cable, vacuum ports) to make it the centerpiece of attention and most importantly clean. So far it only weighs in at 14lbs (stock with TB 34lbs) but I will weigh it in when it is done. I will post a teaser shot of the rough prototype if anyone is interested in seeing it at the early stages. I have so much more to tell but in due time. If anyone has any reasonable questions please don't hesitate to ask.
You make me wish I wasn't SC'd.

I think the question of the day would be... why not just go with ITBs?

You make me wish I wasn't SC'd.

I think the question of the day would be... why not just go with ITBs?

That's a good question, but I'm sure you know the advantages/disadvantages of both setups. Personally, If I were doing a full NA build I would contact Kinsler to make my ITBs. The Toda and SOS are nice units, but they simply aren't big enough for my taste :) Kinsler not only allows you to choose the ITB sizes you can change runner lengths and inlet sizes as well. They also will CNC match your units to whatever cylinder port you have whether it be stock or modified. Very useful and somewhat versatile.

Back on topic though. This manifold will not cost nearly as much as ITBs and it will deliver similar performance. It will also allow flexibility for someone to choose if they wish to go to a turbo setup and not worry about having to change or sell the manifold. It can allow for the EGR system to remain, will have better idle quality, better fuel atomization for economy/burn at lower engine speeds (if anyone cares), will allow for a more balanced MAP sensor signal which would for obvious reasons negate the need for TPS based fueling that can be inconsistent, and is just a smoother daily driving experience. Additionally, the drive by wire guys can use these without having to change over to a throttle cable setup which would be a requisite for ITBs. A simple cold air intake could be made for it too without the need to change the rear hatch and install a scoop either (ITBs). There are other little nit pick things that make a manifold setup more comfortable to swallow VS ITBs but those are the big ones.

This manifold isn't a replacement for a kick ass ITB setup. It is a performance part that is versatile with multiple setups and configurations that will fill a huge price gap. It is aimed at more than one type of customer. It will fit all years of NSXs targa or not and work with stock ECUs both NA1 and NA2s as well. That's all I can think of from the top of my head but I'm sure the point is made.

- - - Updated - - -

yes please post up a prototype pic. you have any idea on the pricing range yet?

I will upload a pic of it sometime tomorrow. As far as the price goes, I will release that once I know what production costs are going to be. Should be very soon :)

I think I'd be interested in a larger TB too for DBW (when turbo)

Great discussion. I for one would like something that would integrate the factory cover plate for a fully OEM look. IMHO, you should open the engine cover and see something that looks like Honda designed it to be there. Will this accept bored factory TB's? I have heard mixed reviews on the blox units due to thermal warpage and resulting inconsistent idle.

Great discussion. I for one would like something that would integrate the factory cover plate for a fully OEM look. IMHO, you should open the engine cover and see something that looks like Honda designed it to be there. Will this accept bored factory TB's? I have heard mixed reviews on the blox units due to thermal warpage and resulting inconsistent idle.

When you see what the manifold looks like, you will understand why that would look a little silly to run the cover plate :) I personally like the look of machined aluminum versus cast so I don't see the need to make it look stock. If you have an oem throttle body that needs a throttle cable it will not work unless you make a custom cable bracket that can pull it in the right direction. The shape of the plenum simply won't allow the cable to be run like factory. I designed this manifold to run the throttle cable under the plenum hiding it and it works great with the Blox billet TB. I am a BLOX dealer and have used untold numbers of these TBs. Despite what you hear they work just fine. No such warpage from heat at all. If anyone is having idle issues with them then they do not have the throttle base/stop adjusted properly. If it is set too much toward the closed position then the plate will catch the inside of the body causing inconsistent returns, which in turn causes the inconsistent idle you are referring to. They put the adjustments there for that very reason. Just gotta know what you are doing :)

Back