• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interested in group buy for modified factory steering wheel?

OK I have been working on this one a while. I do not much care for the factory steering wheel in my NSX. It is too thin and too ugly.

After looking hard at aftermarket wheels, I decided they were not really for me as I want to keep my airbag and cruise control.

So I started looking into modifying the factory wheel and talked to a few people. A couple of days ago, jjrho posted a picture of his modified wheel and it looked great. I am using his picture here, I hope he does not mind :).

I contacted many manufacturers for re-covering factory wheels including leatherseats.com which everyone here is familiar with.

Roger of Americanstitches.com really answered a lot of questions for me, and I asked him about a group buy on modifying your wheel. If we get 5 members, we get this terrific price.

here is the deal. You remove your factory wheel and send in to be modded. Turnaround time is 7-10 days. You choose your options.

You can have Carbon Fiber or paint matched for the solid part, and have a choice of colors for the leather part. These prices are for part solid/part leather wheels, if you want all leather it is less money but that is not what this GP is about.

Here is a picture from JR's NSX with his carbon fiber/leather mix.

1467810-11-06_avila_bmw_day_019comp_1_.jpg

here is a picture of a color-matched wheel with leather. The color can be matched to console, car exterior, whatever you prefer.

14678GM_03_Victory_Red_Graphite.JPG

There is an option for a center ring a la' what is coming out of Maranello these days, this is a picture of a Maserati CF wheel with the center ring.

14678gs-interni2_1_-med.jpg

After you choose your style, you can choose to have padding added by 1/8" wrapped all the way around or 1/16" wrap. This makes the wheel thicker and gives it a much nicer feel.

Pricing is as follows on 5 or more buys:

Steering wheel with new leather wrap (choice of color), and synthetic CF trim, 1/16" padding, $374 shipped to your door.

1/8" padding, add $20.

Substitute color matched steering wheel for CF sections, no charge.

Substitute wood (for those guys that like wood) for CF sections, no charge.

Add center Ring at top of steering wheel, $100.

50% deposit required, balance charged when wheel is shipped.

I don't have a time limit or anything for this GP yet, Roger can set that. I am just trying to gauge interest.

Are you interested? Please post.

Guys this is truly an exceptional price. I have shopped around, I know.

here is a photoshop version of thicker wheel with silver added to the black to match shifter/center console (thanks Blodi).

14678silver_copy.jpg

I'm extremely interested! But my turn around time would have to be ASAP. Or could they use yours and I send you mine? like a core exchange program...???

I want it color matched red....

I am also interested, but hope they can turn the wheel around fast. I would do the black cf with black leather and 1/8" padding.....Steve :biggrin:

You should check with James DeCuir at Imports Extreme, they are a dealer of ours and one of the things they specialize in is rewrapping steering wheels. It will probably be less expensive and you can select different stiching, etc. I had my 300zx interior re-done with their products and it came out very nice. They do the 300zx steering wheel for $299.

red2.jpg

here is a higher res photo of black/CF. Thanks JR.

1467810-11-06_avila_bmw_day_019.jpg

Sounds like we need a temporary wheel to have members pass around while theirs gets done. Does anyone have a cheap wheel than can lend for a while?

kreh said:
I may be interested in CF plus black. How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the wheel.

Kaiser

I don't think its that hard but you need a special tool, which I think you can rent from most auto parts stores. Maybe we need "kit" of a spare wheel and tool to pass around to members.

wheelin' it...

I have a spare wheel w/ (1) horn button, worn leather, etc'. I have it in the "For Sale" forum ($25 + shipping).

I acquired it for the same purpose as this thread: a spare/core while the original is being recovered in perforated-ultrasuede/alcantara and padding. However I decided to change my mind about this project.

Ask American Stitches if they offer perforated-leather/ultrasuede for around the spokes, it will look great (just an insight for those who are considering this GB). :cool:

Re: wheelin' it...

Osiris_x11 said:
I have a spare wheel w/ (1) horn button, worn leather, etc'. I have it in the "For Sale" forum ($25 + shipping).

I acquired it for the same purpose as this thread: a spare/core while the original is being recovered in perforated-ultrasuede/alcantara and padding. However I decided to change my mind about this project.

Ask American Stitches if they offer perforated-leather/ultrasuede for around the spokes, it will look great (just an insight for those who are considering this GB). :cool:

any input on the headache of getting the steering wheel on and off...??

*Also if turbo2go will take my wheel first and get it knocked out in a timely manner I will buy the wheel and the next person just pays for the shipping/mailing to them while their wheel is getting done..

deal fellas?

TURBO2GO, I have given this modification a lot of thought... And I think I will give it my approval...

:biggrin:

Oh... Except for wood grain! That's just not right...

Well done mate!

Thanks Au. I honestly am doing this just to help people out, for me the savings is not worth my time, if I don't get 5 people here I will just have mine done anyway.

BUt please guys if you are interested put your name on the list so I can take to Roger, and secure the GB pricing... and you can do your wheel when you are ready.

Thanks.

My name is James DeCuir, Autovation informed me that some were looking into custom/rewraps on steering wheels. I have PM's the member selling the spare wheel in the classifieds and can start customizing nsx wheels per customers specs as soon as I have it.

We have been offering this to auto enthusists for years. We can do custom finished wheels for $349 plus a core deposit in many finishes including simulated CF, brushed metals, color match, etc (thousands of options). We can also offer "REAL" CF but it is much more $$$ because of the cost of CF right now. The photo above is actually "REAL" CF and the price quoted was for simulated. If anyone wants to discuss please email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Look forward to talking about the options...

AutoVation said:
You should check with James DeCuir at Imports Extreme, they are a dealer of ours and one of the things they specialize in is rewrapping steering wheels. It will probably be less expensive and you can select different stiching, etc. I had my 300zx interior re-done with their products and it came out very nice. They do the 300zx steering wheel for $299.

red2.jpg

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Turbo2go (silver perf leather, 1/8" pad, Top center ring, CF, silver stitching)

2. btcog82

3. Needspeed (steve)?

4. Kreh?

I asked about color stitching and was told 65 colors are available.

I don't mind aspendog posting here, my objective is to just get the best price and workmanship. However I know that Roger of American Stitches has spent a lot of time already answering my questions. And, that is an ACTUAL picture of a very satisfied member's car. So there is great reference there. I don't really know Aspendog. We can get the GB together and then see who we want to go with.

Dave

I have an extra wheel (off my 02) that I could loan to you if you wanted to do a core exchange. Just pay for the shipping and you can use it.

I just want a wheel back (one that isn't in too bad of a shape) when the GB is done.
LMK

Having said that, I would be holding you responsible if I don't get one back at the end of the GB

DVDoughboy said:
Dave

Having said that, I would be holding you responsible if I don't get one back at the end of the GB

Matt thanks but I won't need it personally. NSX is a third car and I don't care if it has to sit for 2 weeks. Maybe Brandon wants it. And if I were you I'd get a deposit for sure, he is one shady dude... :biggrin:

Thanks to David and all the rest who have shown an interest in our custom steering wheels. My name is Roger Rickard and I look forward to building some great looking wheels for your NSXs. Import Extremes is a long established
dealer within our system and I have spoken with James regarding this thread.
I often find it beneficial to refer our individual customers to one of our dealers for technical or other input. Please be assured, regardless of your method of ordering, American Stitches will provide the highest quality possible.
Some of you may want wheels costing less than the examples quoted, I dare say some of you will far exceed the examples. Please keep in mind we build CUSTOM wheels, there is no "off the shelf" merchandise. Some wheels may be completed in 3 days- some will take 3 weeks. Please be aware that while we value each and every one of you as customer, we will not rush a wheel, a policy we hope you will appreciate now and in the future.
I may be reached @ [email protected] or [email protected] or 888-403-3403. Contact info for Import Extremes can be found in his posting to this thread.
Best of luck to all and thank you for considering American Stitches

americanstitches said:
...Some wheels may be completed in 3 days- some will take 3 weeks...

ouch. sounds like something i'd be more interested in next month after the car has been put up... I only have about 3 more weeks to drive it so I can't be without a wheel for too long.

TURBO2GO said:
here is a picture of a color-matched wheel with leather. The color can be matched to console, car exterior, whatever you prefer.

14678GM_03_Victory_Red_Graphite.JPG

This is exactly what I want, color matched steering wheel NSX FORMULA RED, no CF, crazy stiching, or anything like that...just whatever material that is to match my paint, and new center black leather.

So who is the best deal with, and WHEN CAN IT BE DONE?!?!??!

Hell, I'll even have someone use their own wheel in the area as long as it will fit on my 91' and send you my wheel for an exchange.

TURBO2GO said:
Matt thanks but I won't need it personally. NSX is a third car and I don't care if it has to sit for 2 weeks. Maybe Brandon wants it. And if I were you I'd get a deposit for sure, he is one shady dude...
:eek:

Brandon

Back