• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intro & the hunt begins..

All,
Just wanted to introduce myself and pick the brains of the collective members of this forum.

For awhile now, I thought my next "fun" car would be a p-car. I've been wanting to get a 993 S or a 996 S for awhile now, but the timing just wasn't right. That plus I don't think I'd have the heart to take a 993 out to the track. I've always wanted an NSX, but it kind of became an afterthought as I got older. (Note: my first car was a '91 Integra, same time the first NSX was introduced!)

So a quick list of "fun" cars I've owned:
E30 M3 (should have kept it! :mad:): fun to drive on the streets and at the track; however I was so paranoid of door dings on this car that it made parking in public stressful. :rolleyes:
GSR 4-door: this was a really fun car on the track; I had an JDM ITR suspension on it and it drove/rode great; really fun and tossable on the track
E36 M3: still have this thing; fun on the track; great bang for the buck at today's prices; suspension is now too harsh for me (getting old!) and it's not even a crazy setup!

So my thought is to sell the E36 and pick up an NSX now. (I'd have more cars if I had a bigger garage!) My fear is that the NSX won't have "enough" power when compared to other modern cars nowadays. Heck, a Camry or Accord has 220+ horses now! My E36 doesn't even have the most HP in the family, my wife's sedan has more power! :redface:

Anyhow, based on my research thus far, I think I want the following years for the following reasons:
'93-'94 since it's the "newest" pre OBD2 and has dual airbags
'95 is out for me since it has the t-tops
'91-'92 would be considered as well since no real change vs. '93-'94

I've eliminated the '97+ with the 3.2L motors. At those prices, I would seriously have to consider the p-car again.

I realize that the color options are pretty basic. For sure, I want a black interior. Exterior colors, well that's open to a lot of debate. Red is just plain sexy, however, red isn't me, it's too "loud" for me. Black is sexy when it's clean, but it's so hard to take care of (my '91 Integra was black). White, now that's interesting. Never in a million years would I consider a white sports car. It just doesn't say "sporty" to me. However, the pix I have seen of GPW NSXs is just damn sexy. Plus my E30 and E36 are Alpine White. :tongue: But given how rare GPW, I think I may submit to black or red.

I dont' want a creampuff/garage queen either. I plan to drive this thing at the track (why else would I buy it?!). But I don't want a piece of turd either. So we'll see what I find in between.

The hunt continues. First things first, I need to sell the E36 to free up a parking spot. I actually called the insurance company hoping that a quote for an NSX would discourage me. Alas, it was only ~$37 more per year vs. the M3.

Onward! (hopefully I don't sell the E36 too quick, there's a track day I plan to attend in Nov! I doubt I would have an NSX replacement by then!)

Thx!

Sounds like you've had a fun time with your purchases. There's no doubt you'll enjoy the nsx. I have yet to track my car but I am looking forward to it (just recently got my car). As for colors, I had a huge debate about it. The car looks great in any color so let's keep that in mind. But I really wanted white in the beginning and knew it would be hard to come by, so I moved on to black which looks gorgeous. I didn't really want red because I had a red car before and it definitely was "loud" for and theres no doubt the nsx draws attention regardless of color.. The color just adds to it. In the end, I ended up with white. I wasn't holding out for it, but ended up finding a white one at the right time that had all the maintenance it needed and went for it. I really did factor in maintenance over color, and in this case it paid off with white. There's no doubt whatever you find, you will enjoy it. The search is part of the fun too. Every owner has their story. Good luck!

Welcome to Prime! Don't worry about the supposed lack of power- the NSX is deceptive. Trust me, if you drive one you will understand. It will not feel like a Camry or Accord. ;) The most common colors on the early cars were Red and Black, so anything else is going to be more difficult to find. There are plenty of great early coupes (that's what we call the hard tops) for sale in our marketplace- take a look.

I think you will find that the NSX is already a great track car out of the box. Yes, you can modify the living daylights out of it and it will be competitive with modern supercars. But, for a guy like you who is mainly interested in throwing it around a road course for fun on a nice track day, you don't have to do much. Make sure the maintenence is up to date (especially timing belt, water pump, harmonic balancer and coolant hoses), get some good brake pads, good brake fluid and run good sport tires. You will love it. And you will have a lot of spare cash to spend on track days. :D Good luck!

All,
Just wanted to introduce myself and pick the brains of the collective members of this forum.

For awhile now, I thought my next "fun" car would be a p-car. I've been wanting to get a 993 S or a 996 S for awhile now, but the timing just wasn't right. That plus I don't think I'd have the heart to take a 993 out to the track. I've always wanted an NSX, but it kind of became an afterthought as I got older. (Note: my first car was a '91 Integra, same time the first NSX was introduced!)

So a quick list of "fun" cars I've owned:
E30 M3 (should have kept it! :mad:): fun to drive on the streets and at the track; however I was so paranoid of door dings on this car that it made parking in public stressful. :rolleyes:
GSR 4-door: this was a really fun car on the track; I had an JDM ITR suspension on it and it drove/rode great; really fun and tossable on the track
E36 M3: still have this thing; fun on the track; great bang for the buck at today's prices; suspension is now too harsh for me (getting old!) and it's not even a crazy setup!

So my thought is to sell the E36 and pick up an NSX now. (I'd have more cars if I had a bigger garage!) My fear is that the NSX won't have "enough" power when compared to other modern cars nowadays. Heck, a Camry or Accord has 220+ horses now! My E36 doesn't even have the most HP in the family, my wife's sedan has more power! :redface:

Anyhow, based on my research thus far, I think I want the following years for the following reasons:
'93-'94 since it's the "newest" pre OBD2 and has dual airbags
'95 is out for me since it has the t-tops
'91-'92 would be considered as well since no real change vs. '93-'94

I've eliminated the '97+ with the 3.2L motors. At those prices, I would seriously have to consider the p-car again.

I realize that the color options are pretty basic. For sure, I want a black interior. Exterior colors, well that's open to a lot of debate. Red is just plain sexy, however, red isn't me, it's too "loud" for me. Black is sexy when it's clean, but it's so hard to take care of (my '91 Integra was black). White, now that's interesting. Never in a million years would I consider a white sports car. It just doesn't say "sporty" to me. However, the pix I have seen of GPW NSXs is just damn sexy. Plus my E30 and E36 are Alpine White. :tongue: But given how rare GPW, I think I may submit to black or red.

I dont' want a creampuff/garage queen either. I plan to drive this thing at the track (why else would I buy it?!). But I don't want a piece of turd either. So we'll see what I find in between.

The hunt continues. First things first, I need to sell the E36 to free up a parking spot. I actually called the insurance company hoping that a quote for an NSX would discourage me. Alas, it was only ~$37 more per year vs. the M3.

Onward! (hopefully I don't sell the E36 too quick, there's a track day I plan to attend in Nov! I doubt I would have an NSX replacement by then!)

Thx!

Just the lack of low end torque kind of scares of. On the track, once you get her going and keep the revs up one should be fine.

Yeah, I think the mods will be bolt-on (I can't leave well enough alone it seems). So suspension, exhaust/header/intake. Or perhaps not. TBD I guess.

Surprisingly I've gotten some bites on my E36 already. I'll be screwed if I sell it ASAP and don't have anything else to replace it. I just signed up for a track day in Nov! But I guess it's a good problem to have as well.

Welcome to Prime! Don't worry about the supposed lack of power- the NSX is deceptive. Trust me, if you drive one you will understand. It will not feel like a Camry or Accord. ;) The most common colors on the early cars were Red and Black, so anything else is going to be more difficult to find. There are plenty of great early coupes (that's what we call the hard tops) for sale in our marketplace- take a look.

I think you will find that the NSX is already a great track car out of the box. Yes, you can modify the living daylights out of it and it will be competitive with modern supercars. But, for a guy like you who is mainly interested in throwing it around a road course for fun on a nice track day, you don't have to do much. Make sure the maintenence is up to date (especially timing belt, water pump, harmonic balancer and coolant hoses), get some good brake pads, good brake fluid and run good sport tires. You will love it. And you will have a lot of spare cash to spend on track days. :D Good luck!

A nice nsx you must find........your time you must take.......eternal sportsmind for you....:biggrin:

Insurance on the NSX is OK because none get stolen, and if, is very rare :)

Good luck!

A nice nsx you must find........your time you must take.......eternal sportsmind for you....:biggrin:

haha good one, docjohn. Yoda, The Prime Force will be with you. Find a NSX you will, it is your destiny.

yoda.jpg
:wink:

when you find one you will forget all about P-cars
LOL and throw away your
p-hats and
p-shirts and
p-gloves and
p-posters and
p-pen and
p-flashlight and
p-suitcase and
p-wallet cuz you only need a velcro wallet as the NSX has low cost to operate and you dont need to pay 900 bucks for an oil change.
you can also expect to get more looks and smiles, and tons of people everyday you drive it ask you about the car than you would with ANY p-car. daily sheep on the road you will be no more.

goodluck on your search
p.s read this article and study it, memorize it and be happy with your new wealth of NSX knowledge
heres the link http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

welcome

Dont worry about the low torque, you wont be driving around under 4k rpm anyways.

You can also look for a supercharged car. That will fix any concerns you have

Welcome :smile:

You didn't mention Sebring Silver, I take it you don't like that color.

Damn it!

Saw an NSX during my drive to work today, and now I'm thinking about an NSX again. :mad: I had talked myself out of swapping toys (still have the E36) for the time being due to timing of many things going on.

What's funny i is a couple of days ago, the wife TOLD me to go buy the p-car! :cool: Now I'm thinking NSX again!

So the search continues!

tough decision you will have.....

Awesome prior collection of cars. Light, raw and generally pretty inexpensive to maintain. I think the NSX will fit in well with your past loves.

You should have kept the E30 M3 though :)

I'm going to imagine it's going to be quite a hunt to find this unicorn. Every car I've seen listed online is also talked about on prime. :tongue: It's a limited number of cars for a lot of buyers!

Yes! I have seller's remorse on the E30M3. That plus it's gone up in value! Who would have thought it's an appreciating asset!

Looking back, the 2 cars I regret selling is the E30M3 and the 4door GSR w/ the JDM ITRM suspension. (That GSR was FUN on the track. Very tossable and neutral handling for a FWD. Plus when the VTEC kicked in the intake sounded like a beast!)

I'm going to be in a pickle if I sell my E36M3 and don't find an NSX in short order! No car to track and track season is coming up!

Back