• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone coming to Verizon?

Whats the latest out there?

I was at verizon yesterday cause my phone was screwing up and the owner told me the "big secret". They ordered 10 million iPhones for January.

Not sure if it is true. I did read that apple ordered a buttload of CDMA chips, so that makes sense. Seems to be more chatter than normal on the subject lately.

I've heard about the chip order through Quallcomm also. I'm 3 weeks from switching to AT&T because I'm tired of the waiting. I've got the MacBook Pro, the Apple TV, and the iPod. The iPhone will round out the arsenal!!

HOWEVER, if I switch and they get it in January, I'll be straight up pissed.

This rumor has been floating around forever.

What I don't see is anyone reporting why it isn't also plausible that the Qualcomm CDMA chips are simply for a Verizon/Sprint version of the iPad?

Besides, I thought that the Apple/ATT exclusivity agreement for the iPhone isn't going to expire until 2012. And I don't think that ATT will give up its exclusivity willingly or cheaply.

It would probably make more sense for Apple to release an LTE iPhone once Apple and Verizon both make the switch to the new shared 4G wireless network.

The big carriers are already moving away from CDMA technology. Sprint is moving to 4G WiMax and Verizon is moving to 4G LTE (with ATT)

I was in the same position as you with my contract with Sprint having just ended this month. I have been with them for over a decade and was part of their "Premier" annual handset upgrade program but my HTC Windows Mobile phone was a piece of trash and I needed to replace it.

The Sprint HTC Android Evo 4G and the new Sprint Samsung GalaxyS Android Epic 4G (whew!) were both near the top of my list but they are both ridiculously huge and my friends who have them have been plagued with miserable battery life. My town is not 4G yet and the prospect of being forced to pay the monthly 4G fee for nothing was not sitting well with me. Plus the Andriod UI (even Froyo) was still a little laggy at times IMHO.

So about 10 days ago my wife and I walked into a local ATT store and came home with two new iPhone4's. I'm happy with mine but my wife has had some missed call issues. On the other hand the battery life has been outstanding provided I don't spend all day playing the "Angry Birds" app. And all of my accessories that I have accumulated for my various iPods over the years seem to work with the iPhone4 including the USAspec car adapter in my NSX. Best of all because of free texting apps and my employer discount we will pay less per month on ATT than a we would have on a Sprint 4G family plan.

Of course if the wife's experience doesn't improve within the next week or so the iPhones will probably be heading back to ATT and I'll be back at Sprint...

Last edited:
This rumor has been floating around forever.

What I don't see is anyone reporting why it isn't also plausible that the Qualcomm CDMA chips are simply for a Verizon/Sprint version of the iPad?

Besides, I thought that the Apple/ATT exclusivity agreement for the iPhone isn't going to expire until 2012. And I don't think that ATT will give up its exclusivity willingly or cheaply.

It would probably make more sense for Apple to release an LTE iPhone once Apple and Verizon both make the switch to the new shared 4G wireless network.

The big carriers are already moving away from CDMA technology. Sprint is moving to 4G WiMax and Verizon/ATT are moving to 4G LTE.

I was in the same position as you with my contract with Sprint having just ended this month. I have been with them for over a decade and was part of their "Premier" annual handset upgrade program but my HTC Windows Mobile phone was a piece of trash and I needed to replace it.

The Sprint HTC Android Evo 4G and the new Sprint Samsung GalaxyS Android Epic 4G (whew!) were both near the top of my list but they are both ridiculously huge and my friends who have them have been plagued with miserable battery life. My town is not 4G yet and the prospect of being forced to pay the monthly 4G fee for nothing was not sitting well with me. Plus the Andriod UI (even Froyo) was still a little laggy at times IMHO.

So about 10 days ago my wife and I walked into a local ATT store and came home with two new iPhone4's. I'm happy with mine but my wife has had some missed call issues. On the other hand the battery life has been outstanding provided I don't spend all day playing the "Angry Birds" app. And all of my accessories that I have accumulated for my various iPods over the years seem to work with the iPhone4 including the USAspec car adapter in my NSX. Best of all because of free texting apps and my employer discount we will pay less per month on ATT than a we would have on a Sprint 4G family plan.

Of course if the wife's experience doesn't improve within the next week or so the iPhones will probably be heading back to ATT and I'll be back at Sprint...

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. She's very reluctant to switch, so we'll just have to see.

Whats the latest out there?

I was at verizon yesterday cause my phone was screwing up and the owner told me the "big secret". They ordered 10 million iPhones for January.

Not sure if it is true. I did read that apple ordered a buttload of CDMA chips, so that makes sense. Seems to be more chatter than normal on the subject lately.

The owner is FoS.... nobody knows, the rumor has been around for years. I read Engadget every day (on my iPhone which I really wanted to hate, but simply cant) and if there is even the SLIGHTEST info out there about this, they run a story on it (and have a number of times) but they're all speculation.

As for free texting app that someone read about, I use TextFree

can you elaborate on this?

TextFree

TextNow

Both available on the AppStore. Both free.

The apps provide you with a new "texting address"/"texting phone number". Simply ask your friends/family to use these provided addresses/numbers for all texting instead of your main wireless number.

The texts are sent as "data" over your 3G wireless or WiFi and you don't have to enroll in ATT's monthly texting plans. My wife and I both have free WiFi at work so the extra data is not a problem.

For my wife and I it saves us $30/month ($360/yr) that we would have had to spend on the Family Messaging plan.

TextFree

TextNow

Both available on the AppStore. Both free.

The apps provide you with a new "texting address"/"texting phone number". Simply ask your friends/family to use these provided addresses/numbers for all texting instead of your main wireless number.

The texts are sent as "data" over your 3G wireless or WiFi and you don't have to enroll in ATT's monthly texting plans. My wife and I both have free WiFi at work so the extra data is not a problem.

For my wife and I it saves us $30/month ($360/yr) that we would have had to spend on the Family Messaging plan.

What are the chances that can be tracked by the local employer network? It's kind of like using yahoo mail while on your work pc, right? It makes me nervous.

What are the chances that can be tracked by the local employer network? It's kind of like using yahoo mail while on your work pc, right? It makes me nervous.

Well the Wifi at my workplace is open to the public, so I don't think that the miniscule amount of data that my texting generates is going to put even the slightest dent in the overall scheme of things.

Also the texting does not impact nor involve the PCs/workstations on the in-house network so that shouldn't be a problem.

To the sys admin my iPhone is just another guest IP on the wireless network and since I don't download torrent files or massive applications on my iPhone it shouldn't call any attention to itself.

Besides I've been surfing NSXprime on the workstations for years and they haven't come after me!

Last edited:
And nobody at corporate is capturing all traffic passing thru the network and saving it. It would cost them an astronomical amount of money to do that in hardware and administration costs, add overhead to everything and really just be pointless.... unless you work for the NSA. They might just do that :).

I actually applied for a job with the NSA last month. But they probably knew I was going to apply before I did. I haven't heard anything back so they must have turned me down before I applied. I wish they had told me so I wouldn't have wasted that time applying.

I actually applied for a job with the NSA last month. But they probably knew I was going to apply before I did. I haven't heard anything back so they must have turned me down before I applied. I wish they had told me so I wouldn't have wasted that time applying.
But if they told you, would they have to ki....errr....nevermind. :wink:

According to Jeffrey Fidacaro, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group, individuals within Apple's overseas supply chain report that the company will begin assembling its first round of CDMA iPhones in December. The suppliers in question tell Fidacaro that Apple could build as many as three million CDMA iPhones before January 1, 2011.

If such ambitious plans materialize, Apple Insider notes that total GSM and CDMA iPhone production for the quarter would come in at around 22 million. Fidacaro, however, predicts that Apple will sell just under 12 million iPhones in the fourth quarter of the company's fiscal 2010. "We expect the September 25 launch of iPhone in China and Apple's target of making the iPhone available in 88 countries by month end to aid results in 4QFY10," he noted. "Our checks show that Apple is still struggling with yields on the mass production of the white iPhone 4."

While rumors have lingered for many months regarding a forthcoming ramped up building of CDMA iPhones, rarely is such talk of "certain plans" routed from overseas suppliers to prominent market or industry analysts. Of course, there are also other clues. "We believe the company has selected Qualcomm as its modem supplier for the CDMA iPhone as well as for the iPhone 5," says Ashok Kumar, a managing director and analyst at Rodman & Renshaw. "The iPhone 5 will likely use a two-chip modem, allowing the company to create 3G and 4G products."

According to Jeffrey Fidacaro, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group, individuals within Apple's overseas supply chain report that the company will begin assembling its first round of CDMA iPhones in December. The suppliers in question tell Fidacaro that Apple could build as many as three million CDMA iPhones before January 1, 2011.

If such ambitious plans materialize, Apple Insider notes that total GSM and CDMA iPhone production for the quarter would come in at around 22 million. Fidacaro, however, predicts that Apple will sell just under 12 million iPhones in the fourth quarter of the company's fiscal 2010. "We expect the September 25 launch of iPhone in China and Apple's target of making the iPhone available in 88 countries by month end to aid results in 4QFY10," he noted. "Our checks show that Apple is still struggling with yields on the mass production of the white iPhone 4."

While rumors have lingered for many months regarding a forthcoming ramped up building of CDMA iPhones, rarely is such talk of "certain plans" routed from overseas suppliers to prominent market or industry analysts. Of course, there are also other clues. "We believe the company has selected Qualcomm as its modem supplier for the CDMA iPhone as well as for the iPhone 5," says Ashok Kumar, a managing director and analyst at Rodman & Renshaw. "The iPhone 5 will likely use a two-chip modem, allowing the company to create 3G and 4G products."

Equally plausible would be a CDMA compatible iPad as a use for the Qualcomm chips.

Apple also filed a patent application over the summer for a add-on dongle for their iPod Touch style devices that would enable CDMA wireless communication. Similar to the iPod Touch "Peel" style products coming out from various overseas sources.

Here is a link to the widely reported Apple patent application:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archive...he_apple_peel_520_accessory_already_does.html

This would probably circumvent any exclusivity agreements that they may have had with ATT for the iPhone and still allow iDevice useage on another carrier.

Honestly with Verizons LTE rollout on the horizon it would not make sense to purchase a CDMA only 3G Verizon iPhone4 and lock yourself into a 2 year contract if the Verizon iPhone rumors are true. If you're gonna wait for the Verizon iPhone then just wait for the Verizon 4G LTE iPhone since LTE is supposed to be rolled out late 2010/early 2011.

And since both ATT and Verizon have chosen LTE as their 4G network Apple could likely just design a single LTE device and market it through both carriers.

Last edited:
In related news, hot off the presses being reported from Verizon's news conference today w/ Goldman Sachs:

From the Wall Street Journal and the lips of Verizon's CEO:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0930858752.html?mod=rss_whats_news_technology

From InfoWeek:
http://www.informationweek.com/news...jhtml?articleID=227500526&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

What do YOU think this means?...

It means:

Like the tobacco companies, once they've got you hooked into thinking you need their product, they stop giving you coupons!

It means:

Like the tobacco companies, once they've got you hooked into thinking you need their product, they stop giving you coupons!

Actually, I was referring to the comments surrounding the iPhone.

The end of unlimited data was always looming... Like the airlines when they decided to start charging for stowed luggage, then seat selections, and now carry-ons...

Sprint will probably keep going with unlimited data since they are still reportedly on precarious financial ground and it is one of their huge marketing features... If the rumored CDMA iPhone turns out to be a Sprint device could it be enough to pull the company back from the brink?

Last edited:

The end of unlimited data was always looming... Like the airlines when they decided to start charging for stowed luggage, then seat selections, and now carry-ons...

Sprint will probably keep going with unlimited data since they are still reportedly on precarious financial ground... If the rumored CDMA iPhone turns out to be a Sprint device could it be enough to pull the company back from the brink?
There is no question unlimited data will end with lte. There is too much potential for abuse when your cell phone can download faster than your cable modem.

Hopefully the iPhone is still coming to verizon in Jan 2010. That article doesn't sound promising.

Sprint will probably keep going with unlimited data since they are still reportedly on precarious financial ground and it is one of their huge marketing features... If the rumored CDMA iPhone turns out to be a Sprint device could it be enough to pull the company back from the brink?

I see. Well, I feel better about my decision to leave Verizon for the iPhone. October 15th is the day. If Verizon gets it in early 2011, then I don't have so long to wait to come back. Honestly I've been very impressed with the service from Verizon. No complaints. With all the other Apple stuff I have, I just want the phone. It doesn't hurt that I have an AT&T tower two blocks from my house either.

Hopefully the iPhone is still coming to verizon in Jan 2010. That article doesn't sound promising.

I hate to tell you this Dave... you may want to sit down...

I know FOR SURE that the iphone won't be coming to Verizon for Jan 2010.

You have an uncanny ability to predict the past....

Time is an illusion young grasshopper....

keyluke.jpg

With all the other Apple stuff I have, I just want the phone.

Not singling you out- however, this is just something that never ceases to amaze me.

Every Apple product I've had - albeit, they've only been Ipods, has been pretty dismal. Batteries die, freezing software, hard restarts, etc etc. They're all non fuctional now.

Furthermore, every individual, (yes every) I know that has an Iphone has moaned and complained about it, yet they continue to purchase every new iteration that Apple releases. :confused:

I'm not hating, I've made a nice chunk of money on Apple stock. But I fail to understand the draw with their planned obsolescence products.

Every Apple product I've had - albeit, they've only been Ipods, has been pretty dismal. Batteries die, freezing software, hard restarts, etc etc. They're all non fuctional now.

Same thing for me as well with Apple products, and Sony is on that list for me also.

Back