• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPod Adapter Shootout!!!

I want to emphasize to non-NSX owners viewing this thread that this comparison is directed at iPod/iPhone/mp3player adapters which are known or believed to be compatible with the Acura NSX and stock NSX Bose sound system. Other automobiles with different systems require individual evaluation. Although much of the following information relates to comparing the adapters themselves, compatibility questions are NSX-specific and are not intended to adress other makes/models of automobiles.

I will stick to evaluating commercially available adapters that are known to be compatible with the oem NSX stereo system. Prices quoted are the average discount price that you can expect to pay, but not necessarily the best deal that can be found by diligently searching for a lower price.

These adapters generally fall into two categories - those that are iPod specific, and those that aren't - so pay close attention to which adapter is compatible with which music player. A few of these adapters will work with ANY mp3 player, but with less features. If you have or intend to purchase an Apple iPod/Ipod Touch/iPhone, select an adapter that is specifically designed to be paired with these, but if you have an mp3 player that is NOT an Apple iPod, you should select an adapter that is NOT specific to the iPod.

When selecting the right adapter for you, the best strategy is to focus on iPod compatibility vs other mp3 player compatibility depending on which mp3 player you have, followed by features and functionality, and only then look at the price. The quality and ownership experience on most of the above adapters should be similar, so make your own judgment based on the available features you prefer and choose the iPod/mp3 player adapter that is right for you.

Which is the best ipod adapter out there? Pros and cons?

All of the adapters below are known to be compatible with the NSX stereo system. All of the following adapters should offer similar sound quality - they are really just interfaces between your oem stereo and an mp3 player. Ultimate sound quality rests on the condition of your oem stereo. Therefore, I will be rating them according to the following six criteria:

1. Ease of installation.
2. Will the oem head unit control the device?
3. Does the adapter charge the device?
4. Which music player does this one go with?
5. Additional Input?
6. Cost
7. Unique Features

Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1:

The Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1 is not designed specifically to be paired with an Apple iPod. It is a more basic adapter, similar in functionality to the USA-Spec DF-HON, except it provides one output instead of two. It offers neither head unit control nor iPod charging. Quality control is reported to be poor, with ill-fitting connectors and some difficulty identifying the correct cables to be used. Note that the blue square connector typically pictured with these is the wrong cable for the NSX! The correct cable is the 8-Pin round connector which is also available if you specify it.

1. Ease of installation - Relatively easy to install. Some problems reported with fitment of connectors.
2. Will the oem head unit control the device? - No
3. Does the adapter charge the device? - No
4. Compatibility - Will work with any mp3 player using the headphone output jack.
5. Additional Input - No
6. Cost - US$43

Summary: This adapter is lacking in most categories and really doesn't offer much to recommend it other than being inexpensive. Frankly I wouldn't bother with this one as there are better choices for a little more money. Avoid.

Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D:

The Blitzsafe HON/ALP V1.D is an improved version of the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.1 reviewed above. It can be better integrated with an Apple iPod that has a dock connector or Microsoft Zune by purchasing an add-on module, at additional cost. This adapter will allow the user to retain their factory Alpine CD-changer.

1. Ease of installation - Reported to be problematic:frown:
3. Does the adapter charge the device? - Yes, with add-on module
4. Compatibility with iPhone 1Gen, 2Gen/iTouch 1Gen- should be compatible with Ipod thru about Gen4, no Iphone compatibility advertised, possibly will work with iPhone 1Gen or 2Gen. Earlier versions not compatible with iPhone 3G or latest generation iPods.
5. Additional Input - Yes - CD-changer passthrough :smile:
6. Cost - US$160 when adding the iPod module, $170 with the Zune module
7. Allows retention of factory Alpine CD-changer.:smile:

Summary: Offers direct control and charging, but no head-unit control. This is the only adapter that allows retention of the oem CD changer, but there is no head-unit control for either the iPod or the Zune. Best for: Someone who just can't give up their CD-changer, or Zune users.

USA-Spec DF-HON:

While not specifically designed to be paired with an Apple iPod, the USA-Spec DF-HON remains a viable contender in this arena. Installation is relatively easy, equivalent to the typical permanent installation of any of the other adapters in this comparison. Unfortunately, although it does have a second output, the DF-HON lacks controllability from the oem head unit and it doesn't charge the iPod.

1. Ease of installation - Relatively Easy
4. Compatibility - Will work with any mp3 player using the headphone output jack.
5. Additional Output - Yes
6. Cost - US$60

Summary - This adapter is very reliable and offers great sound quality. But while relatively easy to install as well as inexpensive, the USA-Spec DF-HON is lacking in features. Best for someone who wants to connect two devices other than an iPod. Not recommended for iPod users, as there are better choices.

USA-Spec PA11-HON:

The USA-Spec PA11-HON is specifically designed to be paired with an Apple Ipod. It can be Best in Category for those who value ease of installation. When utilizing a semi-permanent (nothing is screwed down, easily reversible) installation method you can place this unit in the trunk up under the CD-changer, plug it into the CD-changer at one end and connect the iPod to the other end. Secure the iPod behind the CD-changer and close the trunk. Five minutes and you are done - it can be that easy to install. However, with the "easiest installation", you won't be able to control it directly from the iPod since the iPod is parked in the trunk, although you can control it through the oem car stereo by creating five playlists on the iPod. Accordingly, I recommend putting in a little more effort and going for a "not quite as easy" permanent installation. The "not quite as easy" installation is equivalent in difficulty to the other units in this comparison. This adapter charges the Ipod when not in use, and has a second input for a separate device.

With the "easiest installation" the USA-Spec PA11-HON earns...

1. Ease of installation - Supereasy! Best in Category!
2. Will the oem head unit control the device? - Yes
3. Does the adapter charge the device? - Yes
4. Compatibility with iTouch/iPhone - The latest version of this adapter is compatible with ALL iPods with dock connector, and all Iphones.
6. Cost - US$119
7. No Direct Device Control with the "easiest installation"

When opting for the "not quite as easy" installation...

3. Does the adapter charge the iPod/Iphone? Yes
4. Compatibility with iTouch/Iphone - The latest version of this adapter is compatible with ALL iPods with dock connector, and all Iphones.
6. Cost - US$119

Summary - With either installation, the USA-Spec PA11-HON is easy to install. It can be easiest to install if you are willing to give up some functionality, but opting for a slightly more difficult installation will ultimately be more satisfying. As the latest version of this adapter is compatible with ALL iPods with dock connector, and ALL iPhones, and has a second input for a second device (cell phone, etc) this adapter is very versatile and useful for many applications. Even using the "easiest installation", reliability and sound quality are excellent.

Grom iPod Adapter:

The Grom iPod Adapter* is specifically designed to be paired with an Apple iPod/iTouch/iPhone. Installation is relatively easy, equivalent in difficulty to the typical permanent installation of any of the other adapters in this comparison. It can be controlled directly or from the head unit and charges the iPod/iPhone. It does not have an additional input, but should definitely be considered by iPhone users because of its confirmed iPhone compatibility. Reliability, while good, seems somewhat diminished due to less robust construction.

4. Compatibility with iTouch/iPhone - Both advertised (Not compatible with iPhone 3g)
5. Additional Output - No
6. Cost - US$75
7. Works with Smartenna

Summary - Reportedly excellent sound quality, easy to install, and solid in most categories. Best for someone who only wants to connect their iPod and nothing else. Not intended for non-Apple.

*When ordering the Grom iPod Adapter, DON'T order the M-BUS cable for the NSX. Specify the 8-pin CD changer cable.

Grom Auxilary Adapter:

While not specifically designed to be paired with an Apple iPod, the Grom Auxiliary Adapter is an excellent choice for use with mp3 players other than the Apple iPod. Installation is relatively easy, equivalent to the typical permanent installation of any of the other adapters in this comparison. Functionally, it is very similar to the USA-Spec DF-HON, only lacking the 2nd input of the DF-HON. It lacks lacks controllability from the oem head unit and it doesn't charge the mp3 player. Nonetheless, it would be a good choice for someone who wanted to use an mp3-capable cell phone in conjunction with their oem NSX Bose car stereo.

5. Additional Input - No
6. Cost - US$55

Summary - This adapter should prove reliable and offer great sound quality. But while relatively easy to install as well as inexpensive, the Grom Auxiliary Adapter is lacking in features. Best for someone who only wants to connect an mp3 player that is not an Apple iPod. Will work with an Apple iPod, but ithere are better adapters for iPod users.

Neo Pro Link:

The Neo Pro Link is specifically designed to be paired with an Apple iPod/iTouch/iPhone. Installation is relatively easy, equivalent in difficulty to the typical permanent installation of any of the other adapters in this comparison. It offers direct, head unit, and steering wheel control (Not Applicable for NSX, but it might be important to you if you are considering it for a car other than the NSX), it charges the iPod, and has an additional input for a second device.

4. Compatibility - Compatible with iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone. Before ordering one of these, check to confirm compatibility with latest generation Apple devices.
5. Additional Input - Yes
6. Cost - US$200 - Most Expensive:frown:

Summary - Reported to offer excellent sound quality and relatively easy to install, with a host of features. It's only real shortcoming is the price - at $200 it is the most expensive unit. Except for price, this adapter would match the highest-rated adapter in this comparison. Best for: iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone users for its confirmed iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone compatibility, or for non-NSX Honda/Acura applications where you want to be sure your steering wheel controls will control the adapter.

The Bottom Line - After subjecting the five adapters to a rigorous comparison, the USA-Spec PA11-HON edges out the competition and emerges as Top Dog in the NSX - the "Best iPod Adapter" - by virtue of a rock solid reliability and a host of features at a reasonable price. The Silver medal goes to the Neo Pro Link, and the bronze to the Grom Ipod Adapter.

The USA-Spec DF-HON earns top honors as "Best non-iPod Adapter" by virtue of rock solid reliability and low cost. If you have an mp3 player that is NOT an Apple iPod, choose this adapter.

Last edited:
I just ordered the Grom iPod adapter for my iTouch and can't wait to do the installation :smile: Good comparision write-up Jett, it sures help me made my decision. Thank you for doing this :smile:

Great Post!!! I bought the USA-Spec PA11-HON Adapter. I want to get rid of the CD changer in the trunk. Waste of space.

I have a 91 and was wondering if the 91 even has a cd changer option. I was thinking of installing this (grom adapter) for my iphone, but the add for grom says 93+. I have my door panels off while Briank fixes my amps so this would be a good time to get one.

Last edited:
Does Grom have a non-iPod version? I want a general MP3 adapter since I'm not an iPod user.

To integrate a non-Apple brand device, you should use either the Grom Auxiliary Adapter or the USA-Spec DF-HON. (Although if you have a Zune you should consider the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D) Functionally, these two adapters are identical. Neither will allow your stereo to control your device or charge your device. Between the two, I would choose the DF-HON because the DF-HON has a second input that the Grom lacks.

If you were to install the DF-HON with a second input cable already plugged in and waiting, you could connect a second device "on the fly". CD 6 Track 1 accesses input 1 on the DF-HON. CD 6 Track 2 accesses input 2. Use the Track Up or Track Down button on the oem NSX car stereo to switch between inputs. So if someone was riding with you, they could plug in and listen to their iPod, cell phone, or other mp3 player through input 2, while your mp3 player or other device was still connected to input 1. When the trip is over, they simply unplug the cable and go, taking their iPod/phone/mp3 player with them.

Last edited:
I added the Grom Auxiliary Adapter to the comparison. If anyone would like an opinion on an adapter not listed here, I would be happy to evaluate the adapter and add it to the comparison if appropriate.

Will any of these adapters charge an iPhone 3G's battery?

Will any of these adapters charge an iPhone 3G's battery?

Apple changed the charging pins on the iPhone 3G to USB charging, rendering many previous charging devices useless for charging the iPhone 3G. None of the above devices will charge the iPhone 3G.

Last edited:
I think that the Grom Ipod Adapter (Not the Grom Auxiliary Adapter) and Neo iPod Adapter should charge the Iphone. As I don't personally have either one of these I don't want to say for certain. Anyone have one of these paired with an iPhone?

Just to be clear, I am talking about iPhone 3G, not the original iPhone.

Just to be clear, I am talking about iPhone 3G, not the original iPhone.

I am not an iPhone user, so I am less familiar with this area. After researching the topic, I ended up revising my first answer. I don't think any of the above adapters will charge the Iphone 3G, because Apple changed the charging pins of the 3G phone to USB.

If integrating your iPhone 3G is something that you really want, it is possible to rig a dual cable arrangement using one of these cigarette lighter FM transmitter mounts w/ USB (make sure to get one with a USB jack) and a Grom Auxiliary Adapter. Use the mount as your iPhone holder, and run a USB charger cable from the bottom of the mount to the iPhone dock. Then run the output from the headphone jack via the 3.5mm to RCA cables that come with the Grom Auxiliary adapter. The FM transmitter is not used at all; you are just getting the mount to hold the iPhone and gain a USB pickup. You could store/route the cable through the ash tray. This rig will charge the iPhone but you won't have head unit control. Still, the mount puts the iPhone pretty close to the driver for convenient access. Kind of an inelegant solution but easy to do. You wouldn't have to cut anything; completely reversible. Depends on how bad you want it.

I can't think of any other way to approach this, until someone comes out with an adapter that will specifically work with the iPhone 3G. You might ask Grom Audio for their expert opinion.

Based on my reading I think that Iphone 3G-compatible adapters will become available in a few months. I haven't found one yet that is available as of this moment.

Last edited:
I am not an iPhone user, so I am less familiar with this area. After researching the topic, I ended up revising my first answer. I don't think any of the above adapters will charge the Iphone, because Apple changed the "pinout" of the 3G phone.

If integrating your iPhone 3G is something that you really want, it is possible to rig a dual cable arrangement using one of these cigarette lighter FM transmitter mounts w/ USB (make sure to get one with a USB jack) and a Grom Auxiliary Adapter. Use the mount as your iPhone holder, and run a USB charger cable from the bottom of the mount to the iPhone dock. Then run the output from the headphone jack via the 3.5mm to RCA cables that come with the Grom Auxiliary adapter. The FM transmitter is not used at all; you are just getting the mount to hold the iPhone and gain a USB pickup. You could store/route the cable through the ash tray. This rig will charge the iPhone but you won't have head unit control. Still, the mount puts the iPhone pretty close to the driver for convenient access. Kind of an inelegant solution but easy to do. You wouldn't have to cut anything; completely reversible. Depends on how bad you want it.

I can't think of any other way to approach this, until someone comes out with an adapter that will specifically work with the iPhone 3G. You might ask Grom Audio for their expert opinion.

Based on my reading I think that Iphone 3g-compatible adapters will become available in a few months. I haven't found one yet that is available as of this moment.

They didn't change the pinout. They just stopped supporting/using the firewire pins to charge the device. Most car chargers/adapters out used firewire to charge iPods/iPhones, since firewire uses 12 VDC, and cars already have 12 VDC systems. New Apple devices only support USB charging, which is like 3.3 VDC.

I found this charger from Kensington, that has a dock connector passthrough to use with FM transmitters, and aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces. I'd hate to have more cables sticking out of my iPhone, so if I end up getting this, I'll take it apart and rewire it to where it's hidden from view.

DH33368.jpg

Apple changed the "pinout" of the 3G phone.

Well, the change is commonly referred to as changing the pinout, but you are correct insofar as the actual change was changing the charging pins.

I found this charger from Kensington, that has a dock connector passthrough to use with FM transmitters, and aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces. I'd hate to have more cables sticking out of my iPhone, so if I end up getting this, I'll take it apart and rewire it to where it's hidden from view.

I've seen that device but am not really familiar with it.

Last edited:
The change is commonly referred to as changing the pinout. If you would like to try hacking a cable and connector, here is a link to a breakdown of the difference. (I can't vouch for it's accuracy.)

Why Apple switched to USB, I have no idea. A solution in search of a problem? Conspiracy theorists would say that it was to make the previous products obsolete. They sure did obsolete a lot of products with this move, even some of their their own products. I have read that Apple "strongly hinted" to developers making the previous generation products that they were going to switch to USB. Assuming that is true, what exactly does that mean? :confused: "Strongly hinted"? If you are in communication with developers, why not just tell them straight up that you are changing formats, instead of leaving them scrambling. This is another one of those Apple things that leaves me scratching my head, and allows Microsoft to dominate the landscape.

I've seen that device. The problem is that you have to mod the cable and the connector insofar as I can tell, but maybe I am wrong about this. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Why would you have to mod the cable and the connector? What makes you say/think that? It's a USB based charger, with a pass through Dock connector.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/kensington-4-in-1-car-charger-for-ipod/

This seemingly simple combination of a car charger bulb and detachable iPod cable actually hides a few interesting features. The iPod cable, shaped to fit an iPod nano but physically compatible with all Dock Connecting iPods, includes a pass-through port on its bottom for use with other third-party accessories, such as FM transmitters. It can detach to let you charge any USB device, such as an iPod shuffle or cell phone, assuming you have the right USB cable. And the cable can be used indoors - including with an FM transmitter - while you're charging your iPod from a USB port or separate wall charger (sold separately).

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

In the last image, just replace that FM transmitter with your iPod interface connector in your car, and you should be golden.

Does this work on the ipod shuffle?

Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger

If your question is "Will this adapter charge the iPod Shuffle?" then the answer is yes.:smile:

If your question is "Will this adapter allow me to connect the iPod Shuffle to my car stereo?" then the answer no, this isn't a car adapter, it is a car charger.:frown:

Last edited:
I'd hate to have more cables sticking out of my iPhone, so if I end up getting this, I'll take it apart and rewire it to where it's hidden from view.

If you hate to have more cables, don't use the Kensington 4-in-1 charger, because you will have the large Kensington cable plus your car adapter cable running to two connectors at the bottom of your iPhone 3G. I don't see how you can hide this, since everything terminates at the iPhone. You are going to want to hold your iPhone for phone calls, etc. right? Or are you just going to stash it in the glovebox or console?

In the last image, just replace that FM transmitter with your iPod interface connector in your car, and you should be golden.

The passthrough concept wasn't clear to me before, but the photos are particularly helpful. :smile:

Last edited:
If you hate to have more cables, don't use the Kensington 4-in-1 charger, because you will have the large Kensington cable plus your car adapter cable running to two connectors at the bottom of your iPhone 3G. I don't see how you can hide this, since everything terminates at the iPhone. You are going to want to hold your iPhone for phone calls, etc. right? Or are you just going to stash it in the glovebox or console?

The passthrough concept wasn't clear to me before, but the photos are particularly helpful. :smile: You will still need to mod the connector to work with the iPhone 3G, but you might be able to get it to work out. It will be a handful when done, but best of luck with it! Let us know how it turns out.

It will go in the center console. Bluetooth baby ;).

Why do you keep insisting that the connector will have to get modded to work with the iPhone 3G?:confused::confused: It uses a standard dock connector. It's made a little offset to look aesthetically correct with an iPod shuffle, but still a dock connector nonetheless.

And I'm still holding off on getting this to see if any other solutions come out. I'd preferably would want an inline adapter. I was wondering if I took a dock and molded that somehow in my car, and then connect the iPod interface to the dock, if it would charge the iPhone 3G.

It will go in the center console. Bluetooth baby

Are you sure you are going to have enough room for all those components and cables in the center console?

Why do you keep insisting that the connector will have to get modded to work with the iPhone 3G? It uses a standard dock connector. It's made a little offset to look aesthetically correct with an iPod shuffle, but still a dock connector nonetheless.

I am wrong - that device will charge an Iphone 3G. Still, I think you are somehow losing sight of the fact that this isn't a car stereo adapter, it is a car charger.

Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger

I'm still holding off on getting this to see if any other solutions come out. I'd preferably would want an inline adapter.

Now here is an idea with merit! I don't think you will have to wait long at all before these start appearing.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are going to have enough room for all those components and cables in the center console?

All those components? It's only the ipod interface's cable that's routed from the headunit down thru the center console to the arm rest. If I were to get this Kensington charger, I would rewire the leads to a 12VDC source and not actually use the cigarette/lighter plug on the center console.

That dock connector won't charge an Iphone 3G, because the charging pins are different on a 3G iPhone than other previous generation Iphone devices. Kensington doesn't list it as being compatible either. I think you are somehow losing sight of the fact that this isn't a car stereo adapter, it is a car charger.

You're the one that's not getting it. I know that it's not a car stereo adapter. It is a car charger, yes. It will work with the iPhone,iPhone 3G and any iPod. This car charger is USB based, and uses the USB pins to charge a device, not the Firewire pins. With the exception of the OLD SKOOL iPods that came with a firewire cable/dock, all iPods/iPhones support USB charging.

It also has a dock connector passthrough at the bottom of the charger to connect to other devices that use the dock connector. So instead of losing functionality because the device is being charged and using up the dock connector, it has a passthrough, or in other words the charger has a dock connector right beneath it, so you can still use an FM transmitter, or connect your iPod interface(car stereo adapter) while it is being charged.

If you look closely, that's a USB cable in the picture. In fact, you can charge any USB device with this Kensington car charger, provided you have the required USB cable.
1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I am completely ignorant about iPods, and my first experience is the shuffle, which I absolutely LOVE!

Is there a way to utilize the shuffle in the NSX?

Back