• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPod Adapter Shootout!!!

Is there a way to utilize the shuffle in the NSX?

Can you tell me exactly which iPod shuffle you have? The connectors differ on the different Shuffles, so I want to make sure before I give you an answer. I think I know of at least one person who has installed the 2nd or maybe 3rd generation iPod Shuffle in their NSX. Do you have a 2nd or 3rd generation Shuffle, or the 1st generation shuffle, which has a USB connector?

Can you tell me exactly which iPod shuffle you have? The connectors differ on the different Shuffles, so I want to make sure before I give you an answer. I think I know of at least one person who has installed the 2nd or maybe 3rd generation iPod Shuffle in their NSX. Do you have a 2nd or 3rd generation Shuffle, or the 1st generation shuffle, which has a USB connector?

iPod shuffle (2nd generation)
HT1353_20.jpg

There's a 3rd generation Shuffle? Hmm, I just bought mine from Apple. Mine does not have the USB, it has a small single round plug.

Thanks again for the help...

It would have been more accurate for me to say "2nd generation" or "2nd generation early 2008" instead of 2nd or 3rd generation, sorry.

The iPod Shuffle is somewhat limited by it's connector. I recommend ordering the Grom Auxiliary Adapter* and connecting it to the headphone jack of the iPod Shuffle. It won't control or charge the Ipod Shuffle, but it should play through your oem stereo just fine. If you want head unit control and charging, you will have to switch to a different iPod.

*DO NOT get the MBUS cable with the Grom Auxiliary Adapter. When you order, specify the 8-pin round connector cable. They will know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
No that's perfect, if that will allow me to play my shuffle, even if I have to control the music from the shuffle, that's ok with me.

Why do you keep insisting that the connector will have to get modded to work with the iPhone 3G?

After careful consideration, I concede that I am wrong about this. This device will charge the iPhone 3G.

I am not so certain that an adapter on the passthrough side will seamlessly integrate, however. :frown: It is possible, but...

I still assert that having the Kensington 4-in-1 charger and an iPod adapter plugged into your Iphone 3G is just too clunky. I don't think this rig will stow properly in the console, even if you move the USB jack inside the center console pocket somehow. And insofar as bluetooth, what are you going to link the iPhone 3G bluetooth up with? :confused: By the time you square all this away, the inside of your center console will look like this...

Attachments

• KensingtonIphoneBluetoothChargerAdapterFluxCapacitor.jpg
    KensingtonIphoneBluetoothChargerAdapterFluxCapacitor.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I just confirmed that the GromAudio IPod adapter does NOT charge the Apple Iphone3G (as others have stated). It will play and all other functions work normally but it does not charge. It comes up with a warning message saying that charging is not supported with that cable.

It works fine on the Original IPhone though. Stupid Apple. Always trying to make more money. :rolleyes:

I've installed the USA*Spec DF series adapters in several of my cars and others (at NSXPO) over the years and have had nothing but 100% reliability and plug and play installation.

The USA*spec price is fantastic... only $30-$40 when it was on clearance at CircuitCity.

Furthermore, just as this review points out... NO MATTER what Apple decides to do or what type of FUTURE audio devices you might purchase it will ALWAYS be compatible since it is NOT iPOD specific.

So the new iPhone 3G has a new pin configuration? That's OK because I can just buy a new generic $12 iPod 3G USB charger cable from meritline.com and I won't have to replace or upgrade my USA*Spec. iPod 4G? 5G? Bring it on!

The USA*Spec having two separate inputs is a real advantage as well for connecting portable DVD players, portable GPS, video cameras, etc. When I installed mine I put in a set of RCA extension cables that I ran into the passenger footwell and hid under the carpet so I can easily connect anything to the USA*Spec's 2nd input without having to take apart the dash.

And since the on-screen menu interface is really what made me choose the iPod over another MP3 device I PREFER to control the iPod directly rather than have to muck around with the limited OEM head unit numerical display. At 5'11" I'm not super tall but my arms are sill plenty long enough to be able to change tracks or select songs on my iPod that I mounted to the right of the center console. It doesn't even require a stretch!

136-3687_IMG.jpg

I now have a black video iPod with a black cable installed in place of the white/white setup in the photo.

I agree that the USA-Spec DF-HON is a fine unit. I can't really recommend it for iPod integration since it is somewhat lacking in features, but it is exceedingly useful for non-iPod applications.

I recently purchased an iPod Touch, and tried it today for the first time in my NSX with the USA-Spec PA11-HON. It totally rocked. The sound seemed a little richer and fuller than the iPod mini I had been using, and the mini already delivered excellent sound reproduction.

I was able to control the iTouch from the head unit, but not directly control it from it's own screen. When I was attempting to directly control it, it was blocking me and showing the screen message "adapter connected."

The USA-Spec PA11-HON does charge the first generation iTouch.

Last edited:
iPhone 3g USB charger

although it may not make sense, not all USB chargers will charge the 3g!
My car adapter USB charger will not. Three different ac USB chargers will not.
My mintyboost will not.
My chumby will.
All computers work so far.
Explain that!

I just installed a Kenwood headunit, KDC-MP538U, with 80Gb iPod on my dad's friend's car. It has a USB input cable in the rear. I tested my iPhone 3G, it plays music and charges the iPhone. My guess is that iPhone 3G works and charges with all newer Kenwood headunits with USB inputs. No need for an interface or special adapters.

I just installed a Kenwood headunit, KDC-MP538U, with 80Gb iPod on my dad's friend's car. It has a USB input cable in the rear. I tested my iPhone 3G, it plays music and charges the iPhone. My guess is that iPhone 3G works and charges with all newer Kenwood headunits with USB inputs. No need for an interface or special adapters.

New car stereos offer a host of features and many will integrate seamlessly with an mp3 player, particularly the Apple players in their many and varied configurations. For those with the determination to deal with modifying or replacing their center console piece, new car stereo equipment is definitely the way to go.

The adapter comparison is for the rest of us who aren't ready to modify their car just yet, but would still like to enjoy a little 21st century car stereo technology.

Someone PM'ed me this question recently. I thought I would respond publicly to help as many people as possible with this type of question.

I have just a Sansa MP3 player. I assume that its plug and play with anywhere I see "iPod" in your writeups?

Unfortunately it isn't this simple. If you have a Sansa mp3 player, you should choose an adapter that isn't specific to the iPod.

Does the PA11-HON just mount behind the CD changer and you could switch the cable back and forth between the two?

No, the PA11-HON is specifically designed to work with an iPod. To connect a Sansa mp3 player AND keep your CD-changer, you must use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D, equipping it with the PIE 3.5-RCA6MM interface (which is just a 3.5mm to RCA cable). Install the Blitzsafe adapter and route a 3.5mm cable extension to your center console to attach to the Sansa player.

This configuration should work seamlessly if you have the Alpine 6-cd Changer in your trunk. I am not sure if the Acura CD-changer will pair with this, but I can't see why it wouldn't.

Last edited:
Someone PM'ed me this question recently. I thought I would respond publicly to help as many people as possible with this type of question.

Unfortunately it isn't this simple. If you have a Sansa mp3 player, you should choose an adapter that isn't specific to the iPod.

No, the PA11-HON is specifically designed to work with an iPod. To connect a Sansa mp3 player AND keep your CD-changer, you must use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D, equipping it with the PIE 3.5-RCA6MM interface. Install the Blitzsafe adapter and route a 3.5mm cable extension to your center console to attach to the Sansa player.

This configuration should work seamlessly if you have the Alpine 6-cd Changer in your trunk. I am not sure if the Acura CD-changer will pair with this.

If I don't care about keeping the CD player can I just get the Blitzsafe and adapter and hook up like the HON, trunk mounted, option?

Thanks!

If I don't care about keeping the CD player can I just get the Blitzsafe and adapter and hook up like the HON, trunk mounted, option?

No, unfortunately you can't* because the USA-Spec PA11-HON will not control a Sansa player. The easy trunk-mount option is only for iPod owners, because the USA-Spec PA11-HON will control an iPod from the head unit.

If you are determined to use the Sansa player and keep the CD-changer, you must use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D.

If you are willing to surrender the CD-changer, you should use one of the non-iPod-specific adapters, like the Grom Auxiliary Adapter (one output) or the USA-Spec DF-HON (two outputs).

Since you have a Sansa player you must choose a mounting arrangement which will allow you to hold and control the Sansa player from the driver's seat, since nothing will control the Sansa player except itself.

In any case, don't use an adapter that is designed specifically to pair with an Apple iPod if you have a Sansa player. The Sansa player is not interchangeable with the iPod for iPod-specific adapters.

*Technically, there is a way to use the USA-Spec PA11-HON with the Sansa player by utilizing the RCA output but this combination (HON/Sansa) is pointless so I won't go into it - it will just confuse the issue.

No, unfortunately you can't* because the USA-Spec PA11-HON will not control a Sansa player. The easy trunk-mount option is only for iPod owners, because the USA-Spec PA11-HON will control an iPod from the head unit.

If you are determined to use the Sansa player and keep the CD-changer, you must use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D.

If you are willing to surrender the CD-changer, you should use one of the non-iPod-specific adapters, like the Grom Auxiliary Adapter (one output) or the USA-Spec DF-HON (two outputs).

Since you have a Sansa player you must choose a mounting arrangement which will allow you to hold and control the Sansa player from the driver's seat, since nothing will control the Sansa player except itself.

In any case, don't use an adapter that is designed specifically to pair with an Apple iPod if you have a Sansa player. The Sansa player is not interchangeable with the iPod for iPod-specific adapters.

*Technically, there is a way to use the USA-Spec PA11-HON with the Sansa player by utilizing the RCA output but this combination (HON/Sansa) is pointless so I won't go into it - it will just confuse the issue.

Sounds like I should just buy an iPod :frown:

I have the Blitzsafe, no CD, connected to the 8 pin cable in the firewall behind the driver's seat. I then routed a headphone plug down and out through the hand brake opening. I place my Sansa in the little coin box area and it works great. But the iphone 3g also works great there, as it pauses the music automatically when you get a phone call. But this arrangement does not charge your device (which should not be much of a problem - the sansa lasts well over 10 hours), nor do you control it at the stereo.
It is very easy to connect the blitzsafe, the hardestpart really is putting the panels back on the firewall.

You don't need to buy an iPod - the Sansa will work perfectly well with the oem NSX Bose system. You have at least three perfectly good options here, all of which will work just fine, are inexpensive, and won't make you have to buy a different mp3 player.

If you are happy with your Sansa player, why not install it using the Grom Auxiliary Adapter, connecting it to the CD-Changer connector behind the driver's head? Or if you would like a second input so you can play the Sansa and your mp3 capable cell phone (which would be pretty cool and make for a unique installation), use the USA-Spec DF-HON. Or you can use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D and retain the CD-changer. Run a cable to your center console somewhere so you can hold and play the Sansa/cellphone/whatever. Either of these should work great and be easy to install.

Even if you decide to give up the CD-changer, you really won't miss it. The Sansa will hold hundreds of songs, while the oem Acura CD-player is only good for about sixty, and with the CD-changer you are stuck with the songs you don't like on the CDs. With the Sansa, you just load the songs you do like.

Last edited:
You don't need to buy an iPod - the Sansa will work perfectly well with the oem NSX Bose system. You have at least three perfectly good options here, all of which will work just fine, are inexpensive, and won't make you have to buy a different mp3 player.

If you are happy with your Sansa player, why not install it using the Grom Auxiliary Adapter, connecting it to the CD-Changer connector behind the driver's head? Or if you would like a second input so you can play the Sansa and your mp3 capable cell phone (which would be pretty cool and make for a unique installation), use the USA-Spec DF-HON. Or you can use the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D and retain the CD-changer. Run a cable to your center console somewhere so you can hold and play the Sansa/cellphone/whatever. Either of these should work great and be easy to install.

Even if you decide to give up the CD-changer, you really won't miss it. The Sansa will hold hundreds of songs, while the CD-player is only good for about sixty, and with the CD-changer you are stuck with the songs you don't like on the CDs. With the Sansa, you just load the songs you do like.

I'm happy to give up the CD player but I listen to the radio a bit as well and don't want to lose my smartenna. I think that limits my options. Also was hoping to not have to run a wire thru the firewall from the cabin to trunk.

I know, what a PITA I am.

I'm happy to give up the CD player but I listen to the radio a bit as well and don't want to lose my smartenna. I think that limits my options. Also was hoping to not have to run a wire thru the firewall from the cabin to trunk.

If you install the Grom Ipod Adapter in the trunk in place of the CD-changer, the Smartenna will still work. There should be a grommet from trunk to engine compartment and another from engine compartment to passenger compartment to route the cable, so it shouldn't be that difficult to run one cable.

I know, what a PITA I am.

Don't make me come up there!....and install the Sansa player myself!:smile:

Last edited:
Apple changed the connector on the 3G iphone, rendering many previous charging devices useless for charging the 3G iPhone. None of the above devices will charge the iPhone 3G.

So, does anyone know if the new ipod nano and ipod touch have this same change?

So, does anyone know if the new ipod nano and ipod touch have this same change?

AFAIK, all new iPods will only support USB charging. Some iPod accessories were already supporting USB charging, so those devices will still work. If your accessory used Firewire, your device will not charge. Good news is all if not most new headunits have USB ports now, no need for an interface/adapter.

Back