• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the engine in the NA2 NSX-R different from the "base" 3.2L V6

Is the base 2002+ 3.2L NSX engine different from the 1997-2001 3.2L or the NA2 NSX-R?

• Yes, the 97-01 motor is different from the 02+ engine because the 02+ is the NA2 NSX-R engine

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • No, the 97 - 01 engine is the same as the 02+ motor and the NA2 NSX-R motor is different

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I don't know/don't care... someone give me the keys to my NSX so I can go for a drive.

Votes: 38 40.4%

• Total voters
Unfortunately, I've contributed to hi-jacking another member's thread but getting into what started out as a mature, respectful discussion about whether the 1997 - 2001 3.2L NSX motor is any different from the 2002+ 3.2L NSX motor. Unfortunately, the tone of that discussion has turned sour and now the other owner that I was trading posts with has taken other ugly tactics like suggesting that I sell my car for some reason in completely separate threads.

Rather than continue to hi-jack that thread, I thought I'd open up this discussion to the rest of you and hopefully take the high road.

It is my understanding that while Honda made a myriad of changes to the NSX with the introduction of the 2002 car, the motor is essentially the same. Moreover, it is my understanding that the NA2 NSX-R motor is in fact different than the NA2 NSX motor.

The other poster disagreed and while I don't want to paraphrase his arguments, feels that all 02+ motors are stronger than 1997 - 2001 motors.

I'd like to hear/see how you feel.

My argument is based on Honda's own press releases. Including the following:

"2002 Acura NSX -- Introduction
Torrance, Calif. 01/04/2002 --

The 2002 mid-engine, two-seater NSX offers two distinct powerplants. The standard powertrain is an all-aluminum 3.2-liter V-6 that produces 290 horsepower and 224 lb-ft of torque mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. An electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission with Formula One-inspired Sequential SportShift is optional and is accompanied by an all-aluminum, 3.0-liter V-6 that produces 252 horsepower and 210 lb-ft of torque.

Both engines are normally aspirated and are equipped with dual overhead cams, four- valves per cylinder, a Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC(TM)) system, and a Variable Volume Induction System. They also feature Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) and a direct-ignition system that uses six individual coils, one mounted atop each spark plug, instead of a single coil for all six cylinders.
The standard engine on the NSX is an all-aluminum, 90-degree, 3.2-liter (3179 cc), dual overhead cam, 4 valve-per-cylinder V-6 that produces 290 hp at 7100 rpm and 224 lb-ft of torque at 5500 rpm. It is mated to a 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission. Redline for this engine is 8000 rpm.
The only factory option for the NSX is an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission that comes with an all-aluminum, 90-degree, 3.0-liter (2977 cc), dual overhead cam, 4 valve-per-cylinder V-6 with 252 hp at 6600 rpm and 210 lb-ft of torque at 5300 rpm. Redline for this engine is 7500 rpm.
An exclusive, electronically controlled Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC(TM)) system optimizes volumetric efficiency at both high and low engine speeds. A unique Variable Volume Induction System changes the configuration of the intake system in conjunction with varying engine speeds, working with the VTEC system to broaden the torque curve and increase peak power output.
ENGINE BLOCK, CYLINDER HEADS, CRANKSHAFT, PISTONS
To achieve both light weight and durability, the engine block is made of aluminum alloy. While cast iron cylinder liners are used on the 3.0-liter engine, the cylinders on the 3.2-liter V-6 are made using an advanced metallurgical technique called Fiber Reinforced Metal (FRM), in which an ultra lightweight alumina-carbon fiber is cast into the traditional aluminum alloy for enhanced rigidity. This process allows displacement to be increased without increasing bore centers while providing outstanding cooling characteristics.
The 3.2-liter engine has cylinder bore surfaces consisting of a 0.5 mm-thick layer with fibers of carbon and alumina (aluminum oxide, or Al2O3) in the aluminum alloy. In production, the cylinder block's aluminum alloy is poured around cylinder cores composed of these two fibers. The cores absorb the molten aluminum during the casting. After casting, the cylinders are bored to a slightly smaller diameter than the outside diameter of the cores, leaving a tough, wear-resistant, composite cylinder wall integral with the block but reinforced by the fibers. The process allows larger bores within the same external block dimensions and bore spacing, and makes open-deck block construction possible. This is appropriate for the 3.2-liter NSX engine's higher performance level. The elimination of iron cylinder liners allows a weight reduction of 5.3 lbs. for the larger displacement engine.
Because aluminum-on-aluminum is not an ideal combination for durability with a piston sliding in a cylinder, the 3.2-liter aluminum pistons are given an iron coating. The piston crown has been reshaped to improve heat resistance, and the pin diameter enlarged to cope with the higher power output. Conventional aluminum pistons are used in the 3.0-liter engine with iron liners.
The crankshaft on the NSX engine is a forged unit made of a special high-strength steel to cope with the high power output of both engines.
The low-pressure cast aluminum cylinder heads maximize flow into the combustion chambers in the 3.2-liter engine, where 36 mm intake valves are used. Even though the valve diameter is 1 mm larger than in the 3.0-liter engine, a unique cup shape is incorporated into the valve head to allow it to maintain the same weight. To further increase air flow, a special four-angle valve-seat machining process is used to create a gentle radius leading from the intake port into the combustion chamber - a process typically reserved for racing applications. The head gasket on the 3.2-liter V-6 is made of stainless steel to ensure a positive seal with the FRM cylinders. The combustion chamber for both engines is a pent-roof design with generous squish area to promote swirl and enhance combustion efficiency. The spark plug is centrally located for optimum flame propagation and features a platinum tip for improved durability and longer service life.
TITANIUM CONNECTING RODS
The connecting rods are made of a specially patented titanium alloy. While titanium rods are common in Formula One and other race engines, the NSX features the first application of titanium rods in a production car. Compared to a steel connecting rod for the same engine, these titanium rods each weigh 190 g less and are significantly stronger. To cope with the increase in power relative to the 3.0-liter engine, the 3.2-liter engine's piston pin diameter was increased by 1 mm (from 22 mm to 23 mm), while the crankshaft pin diameter was increased by 2 mm (from 53 mm to 55 mm).
To accommodate the larger crankpin diameter, the connecting rod bolts were moved 1 mm farther apart and incorporate a new, high-strength design. The rod bolts used are actually stronger, yet 1 mm smaller in diameter and 20 percent lighter than those previously installed.
VARIABLE VALVE TIMING AND LIFT ELECTRONIC CONTROL (VTEC(TM)) SYSTEM
Without question, the Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) system is recognized as a breakthrough in engine technology. It convincingly solves the age-old trade-offs between low-end torque and high-end power.
The heart of the VTEC system is a unique camshaft and rocker arm system. For each cylinder's set of two intake (or exhaust) valves, there are three rocker arms and three corresponding lobes on the camshaft. The two outboard lobes each have a profile suited for low- to mid-rpm operation. The third or center cam lobe has a dramatically different profile designed for longer duration and higher lift. This lobe profile is designed to optimize breathing and horsepower production at high engine speeds. At low engine rpm, the valves are operated by the outboard lobes. During high-speed operation above 5800 rpm, the VTEC computer sends a signal to a spool valve, which in turn delivers engine oil pressure to small pistons in the rocker arms. Oil pressure causes the pistons to move, locking all three rocker arms together. Once locked, the rocker arms are forced to follow the center cam lobe, increasing top-end performance. The crossover from low lift to high lift occurs in 0.1 seconds and is virtually undetectable to the driver.
VARIABLE VOLUME INDUCTION SYSTEM
In addition to VTEC, the NSX engine also uses a Variable Volume Induction System. This system uses a separate intake air plenum, located beneath the main intake manifold. This second plenum is separated from the primary manifold by 6 butterfly valves, which open between 4600 and 4900 rpm and are activated by manifold vacuum.
When the valves open, the added volume of the secondary plenum creates a higher resonance frequency, which in turn creates a sonic pressure wave. This sonic pressure wave arrives at each pair of intake valves just as they open, promoting more rapid and complete cylinder filling. This system was designed to work in concert with VTEC to improve both low-end torque and high-rpm power.
FUEL INJECTION
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) ensures that each cylinder receives the precise amount of fuel necessary at any given time and with varying load and speed conditions. This system has been specially tailored to the unique capabilities of the induction and VTEC systems. An air-assist mechanism aids fuel atomization for better combustion at low temperatures.
EXHAUST SYSTEM
The NSX features a lightweight, highly efficient exhaust system that, for 2002 includes, thicker, more aggressive exhaust tips. On the 3.2-liter V-6, the exhaust manifold employs stainless steel header pipes rather than a cast-iron manifold for improved performance and lighter weight. Increased flow from this configuration is a key contributor to the 290 horsepower produced by this engine.
The 2002 model gets updated styling, to modernize the car's looks and refinements to the chassis to ensure its competitiveness as a modern sports car. For 2002 the NSX will be available exclusively with a removable aluminum roof panel that can be easily stowed under the rear glass hatch.
The front fascia of the NSX has been updated with a higher hood, and a redesigned front bumper and spoiler. The front headlights have gone from pop up bulbs to projector-type Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps. Other external styling refinements include new mesh side intakes, redesigned side sills, a trunk lip spoiler, an integrated diffuser designed into the bumper lower, more aggressive exhaust tips and a redesigned taillight configuration. The combination of body enhancements makes the NSX more aerodynamic than ever before and, in addition to enhancing front to rear aerodynamic balance, increases the NSX's top speed from 168 mph to 175 mph.

MANUFACTURING
The goal behind the design of the unique Takanezawa assembly plant in Tochigi, Japan, is to produce the highest quality automotive product in the world.
This plant has no automated conveyor line. Rather, each car is mounted on a dolly and pushed by hand from one workstation to the next. Each team of workers is responsible for the quality of work performed at their station. The car is not passed on to the next area until the team is satisfied that their procedures have achieved the tolerances and goals required in the specifications. Each assembly station, in effect, also functions as an inspection station.
Engine assembly is also done in a unique way to ensure the highest level of assembly quality. Contrary to typical mass production procedures, each NSX engine is assembled by an individual, highly skilled technician from start to finish. This process keeps tolerances to levels that would not be possible in a mass assembly procedure and helps assure reliability and durability.
"
and these quotes from http://www.world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t5.html

"The engine employs the same kind of high precision dynamic balanced clutch cover, fly wheel, and pulley assembly as is used in racing engines. Highly qualified veteran technicians check each assembly with a balancer, pruning away tiny specks of metal with their high precision drill. Rotating weight tolerance is reduced to below 1/10 that of the base NSX, to correspond to the same exacting standards used in racing.

To obtain the maximum effect of this high-precision balancing, weight tolerances of the piston and connecting rod pairs are controlled to within about half that of the base model, just as in the original NSX-R. Crankcase-side and engine block-side main journal diameters are measured, and those having the same bearing metal thickness are combined to increase metal clearance precision and reduce friction. The adoption of these and other time-consuming methods normally unheard of in mass-production imbue the New NSX-R's engine with breathtaking response and feel."

and

"The NSX-R's race bred engine is assembled at Honda Engineering's Tochigi Technical Center. Situated right next to the Tochigi Takanezawa plant wher the NSX is assembled, this factory... also produces engines for the NSX, the S2000 and the Insight... "

I've been told I'm full of sh*t but just the same, I'd like to hear what you guys think. I know there are a lot of folks out there that know a lot more about the NSX than I do and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm wrong. That is, when I'm wrong.

In fact, I'm more than happy to create another thread if someone can provide FACTS that prove me wrong.

Thanks for looking.

This is how I understand the above information:
  • The NSX-R engine is mechanically identical to the NSX engine
  • The NSX-R engine is built to extremly tight tollerances
  • A lower error tollerance level does not equal a 'better' engine, it just guarantee's a premium example
  • A 'regular' nsx engine *could* have superior build quality than an NSX-R engine, if the stars are aligned

So, the 'add on' items can be enhanced, the manufacturing process is more exacting, but the engine itself is identical.

dunno.gif

Last edited:
scorp965 said:
This is how I understand the above information:
  • The NSX-R engine is mechanically identical to the NSX engine
  • The NSX-R engine is built to extremly tight tollerances
  • A lower error tollerance level does not equal a 'better' engine, it just guarantee's a premium example
  • A 'regular' nsx might engine *could* have superior build quality than an NSX-R engine, if the stars are aligned

So, the 'add on' items can be enhanced, the manufacturing process is more exacting, but the engine itself is identical.

dunno.gif

Do you believe that the 1997 - 2001 engine is a different engine than the 2002+ engine?

scorp965 said:
I do not, if it were different it would have a different engine code.
Got it. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

scorp965 said:
I do not, if it were different it would have a different engine code.

Can you list the engine code of USDM and JDM engines?

The 1997 to 2005 has a C32B 3.2L engine, and the 1991 to 1996 is a C30A 3.0L engine... any additional engine code parameters would refer to minor changes, such as engine accessories mounted in reverse on RHD cars, etc., although such changes would probably be almost non-existant, as the engine's not in the way of such components.

From wikipedia:
The DOHC VTEC C30A is a 3.0 L version, producing 201 kW (270 bhp) and 285 N·m (210 ft·lbf) of torque. An advanced version of this engine exists (though not in a production form) that campaigned briefly in the 2004 Japanese SuperGT racing series (see All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship) by the factory-supported Team Honda Racing group in highly modified GT-spec NSXs. This engine has various upgrades and modifications by M-TEC (formerly Mugen) and is the first turbo-charged Honda engine used in the series (prior to 2003, the GT-spec NSXs used a highly advanced, naturally-aspirated variant of the C32B engine). Though the exact performance figures are kept secret, it's rumored to output more than 500 bhp.

There is also the C32B, a highly-tuned DOHC version, used in the Honda NSX, which produces 290 hp (216 kW) and 224 lbf·ft (304 N·m). Applications: 1997-2005 Honda NSX

evof575gtc said:
i know for a fact that they are. late 02 models are different from pre-late 02 na2 C32VTEC engines.

yeah , i can point out things all day and a lot of them are pretty obvious to even the naked eye.

Are we discussing minor exterior items, or physical mechanical-level engine changes? There were no mechanical changes to the C32B engine from 1997 to 2005, the major components share the same part numbers.

Da Hapa said:
It is my understanding that while Honda made a myriad of changes to the NSX with the introduction of the 2002 car, the motor is essentially the same.

"Myriad of" is not proper english..myriad is an adjective like "million", you wouldn't say "million of"....it's just "myriad changes"

So there I have now hijacked your thread!!!:biggrin: and possibly started an argument too!!:tongue: :tongue:

zahntech said:
"Myriad of" is not proper english..myriad is an adjective like "million", you wouldn't say "million of"....it's just "myriad changes"

So there I have now hijacked your thread!!!:biggrin: and possibly started an argument too!!:tongue: :tongue:

According to the definition below, I think the score is now Da Hapa, Milton, & Thoreau 1 - zahntech 0

Main Entry: <sup>1</sup>myr·i·ad
Pronunciation: <tt>'mir-E-&d</tt>
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek myriad-, myrias, from myrioi countless, ten thousand
1 : ten thousand
2 : a great number <a myriad of ideas>
usage Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

Oh so now we are supposed to use "New" english?...what do people have against the 16th century anyway?...F*ck is now in the dictionary, does that mean it's proper to use it in polite conversation?? I don't think so!!!:biggrin:

scorp965 said:
Are we discussing minor exterior items, or physical mechanical-level engine changes? There were no mechanical changes to the C32B engine from 1997 to 2005, the major components share the same part numbers.

In the past, Honda Type R motors has an extension code behind the engine code. That was what I'm seeking. For example, B18xxx.

So you couldn't answer my question, regarding the extension code after the C32Bxxx?

Da Hapa said:
Got it. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
You just proved my point exactly. YOu will take comfort when some one agree with you.

No offense John, you're my friend and a local NSXer, but you did not offer any solutions to the answer unless you know the extension code. According to you, if Honda "mod" the engine (HP increase), the engine code would be changed as well. However, that is not an accurate statement. K20/K24 in the RSX/TSX for example, remain the same between the years. However, the engine received an 10hp increase and yet the code did not change.

Translated from Honda Style Magazine Japan:
The production capacity of the NSX is limited to less than 350 units per year for the worldwide market. All 02 Spec NSX-R engines are assembled by two Honda master tech, who are also responsible for the assembly ALL NSX Engines - In the Tochigi Plant's environmentally controlled assembly room - Dedicated to NSX engine only. The operation later moved to the Suzuka plant in late 2004.

Unlike the early NA2 Type-S/S-Zero, the 02 Spec NSX-R engine components such as the Piston, Piston head, Gasket, have been strengthened, and DRW Harness revised. The process is similar to that of the NA1 NSX-R. “WITH HONDA TYPE-R DNA AND TRADITION.” The same assembly process applies to all “late” NA2 model NSX.

Distinguish differences between NA2 Type R and Type S – DBW Harness to improve throttle response, revised ECU with deletion of TCS, fuel mixture/control, Shift lights.

Type R engine treatment results in undisclosed “PS” gain.

Additional translation will be posted when I have the time.

Last edited:
zahntech said:
Oh so now we are supposed to use "New" english?...what do people have against the 16th century anyway?...F*ck is now in the dictionary, does that mean it's proper to use it in polite conversation?? I don't think so!!!:biggrin:

I don't see a problem with new English. How dare you challenge Milton & Thoreau? F*ck is a bonafide word and I remember my linguistics professor at UCLA using it freely during a lecture. Didn't you ever study "f*cking insertion" in linguistics? :) One of the most interesting topics ever...

Malibu Rapper said:
I don't see a problem with new English. How dare you challenge Milton & Thoreau? F*ck is a bonafide word and I remember my linguistics professor at UCLA using it freely during a lecture. Didn't you ever study "f*cking insertion" in linguistics? :) One of the most interesting topics ever...
Let's not hurt Da Hapa's feeling and stay with "his" subject:tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek:

This is a very interesting thread.

A few questions...

The main difference between the Type R C32 and the regular C32 was...
1. precision balancing of the bottom end rotating assemblies
2. porting of the heads

Does anyone know if the C32 Type R heads were CNC ported or hand ported (In the Best Motoring International VTEC Club DVD, there is a mention of the Integra R motors - early cars had hand-ported heads vs. CNC ported heads on later R models). Is there a separate part# for the Type R C32 engine assembly as a whole? If not, is there a part# for ported Type R heads?

I would specualate that the majority of the "hidden" horsepower in the Type R C32 engine is in the head porting as opposed to the balancing.

If Honda did indeed CNC port the Type R heads (eliminating the extensive labor involved in hand porting), it is possible this extra machining step could have been incorporated into the manufacturing of all the post 2002 NSX heads, giving them a slight bump in power.

Vance has speculated that the later post 2002 NSXs may have engines built to the Type R standard. His reasoning - why would Honda go through the trouble of establishing 2 separate assembly lines given the limited production numbers. I think the only way to really tell is to open up Vance's motor and see if the heads have indeed been ported. If a separate part# does not exist for type R heads or engine assembly, it's the only visible way to tell if there is a difference in the hardware, beyond the programming of the ECU.

Malibu Rapper said:
zahntech started the threadjack and I'm gonna finish it. :wink:
Can I join the party?

Frank Oles said:
This is a very interesting thread.

A few questions...

The main difference between the Type R C32 and the regular C32 was...
1. precision balancing of the bottom end rotating assemblies
2. porting of the heads

Does anyone know if the C32 Type R heads were CNC ported or hand ported (In the Best Motoring International VTEC Club DVD, there is a mention of the Integra R motors - early cars had hand-ported heads vs. CNC ported heads on later R models). Is there a separate part# for the Type R C32 engine assembly as a whole? If not, is there a part# for ported Type R heads?

I would specualate that the majority of the "hidden" horsepower in the Type R C32 engine is in the head porting as opposed to the balancing.

If Honda did indeed CNC port the Type R heads (eliminating the extensive labor involved in hand porting), it is possible this extra machining step could have been incorporated into the manufacturing of all the post 2002 NSX heads, giving them a slight bump in power.

Vance has speculated that the later post 2002 NSXs may have engines built to the Type R standard. His reasoning - why would Honda go through the trouble of establishing 2 separate assembly lines given the limited production numbers. I think the only way to really tell is to open up Vance's motor and see if the heads have indeed been ported. If a separate part# does not exist for type R heads or engine assembly, it's the only visible way to tell if there is a difference in the hardware, beyond the programming of the ECU.

lol, flip the bills I'll let ya. Probably need one of those Procar Type R engine and a pre 02 engine in order to do a good compareson.

BTW, thank you for reading line by line.

Da Hapa's earlier arguement was that the NSX R engine is no different than regular NSX engine, no special treatment was involved. Unfortunately, Da Hapa is now telling the world that I'm claiming NSX is using NSX R engine.

I have indicated, since the NSX production level has dropped to 300ish, ever since the introduction of 02 spec NSX R in may of 02, all NSX engine received the same treatment. However, that does not means the engines are identical. As indicated by the "Honda Style" magazine, published by Honda Japan, certain components are NSX-R specific. By saying that, all NSX motors assembled after May of 02 received the same attention as the NSX-R motor, because no additional assembly line is needed, and since only "two" master tech assembled all the engines, the engine out put is more than 280ps as advertised. BTW, I noticed many people do not understand the 280ps jdm rule. That is a crucial factor for why all JDM cars never had PS rating more than 280 till the Honda Legend, AKA Acura RL.

The poll is obvsiously worded in Da Hapa's language. The best way is to ask current prime members who have dyno'd their NSXs between 97 to 05.The dyno will tell the story. Many of them have dyno'd the car at Autowave before installation of their CTSC..

Last edited:
Dam honda, why couldnt they just bring over the NSX R to america and no one would be arguing right now!!!!:biggrin:

As to the purveyance of argument and thine usage of proper english, tis true that Prime members can torment one another at length in these forays.

If it pleases Vance I shall retreat forth into the cyber outlands, and ruffle the feathers of Prime members no longer.:smile: :wink:

Vancehu said:
...I have indicated, since the NSX production level has dropped to 300ish, ever since the introduction of 02 spec NSX R in may of 02, all NSX engine received the same treatment. However, that does not means the engines are identical. As indicated by the "Honda Style" magazine, published by Honda Japan, certain components are NSX-R specific. By saying that, all NSX motors assembled after May of 02 received the same attention as the NSX-R motor, because no additional assembly line is needed, and since only "two" master tech assembled all the engines, the engine out put is more than 280ps as advertised...
Ok, i'm going to guess english is a second language to you, but in what language does that make any sense?

Vancehu said:
...I have indicated, since the NSX production level has dropped to 300ish, ever since the introduction of 02 spec NSX R in may of 02, all NSX engine received the same treatment.
ok... clear enough...

Vancehu said:
However, that does not means the engines are identical. As indicated by the "Honda Style" magazine, published by Honda Japan, certain components are NSX-R specific...
ok... this is starting to drift from your origional theory quoted below:

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=708713&postcount=16

Vancehu via above link said:
Because May of 02 is when they introduced the NA2 Type R. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for them to treat the engines any different during the hand assembly, since only about fifty or so Type Rs were sold each year. They don't need to do any thing different material wise, all they have to do is hand polish the component, make them smoother, like all the Type R engine treatments, you will get more HP.
so they don't use different materials, yet certain components are NSX-R specific... rrrright...

Vancehu said:
...By saying that, all NSX motors assembled after May of 02 received the same attention as the NSX-R motor, because no additional assembly line is needed, and since only "two" master tech assembled all the engines, the engine out put is more than 280ps as advertised...
so now the engine puts out more than 280 but before in your statements (same link as above)...

Vancehu said:
The reason the NSX is detuned to begin with is due to the lame JDM 280hp limitation...
but here it is detuend to 280...

so what we have here is two seperate posts from you with two completely seperate answers... and you wonder why everybody is questioning you...

I honestly have no idea on this one, but would have to think some emission changes took place during the nine year period (97-05)?

I also believe all engines are not created equal, and all dyno's are not calibrated the same...... Soooo there.....

Anyone??????????:rolleyes:

well what i'm about to say has some relavance to the topic. Even though there is a gentlemen agreement in japan that limits hp rating to only 276hp or 280ps, there are many cars that make more than its advertised power. the GTR and EVO's are perfect examples of cars making well over 300hp, but is still rated at only 276hp.

so in theory, the jdm nsx could also be making more power then the 276hp version. that is why the jdm nsx's can run high 12's stock, i know they weight less in japan than they do over here, but they run consistanly 12.7-12.9 in the 1/4 stock. this leads me to believe that their power rating should atleast match the 290hp that the usdm versions have.

the way to find out is for those members with 03+ NA2s to post thier dyno sheets. Dyno results of over 260 rwhp stock or 280 rwhp with bolt ons will suggest something is up. Lets see them!

Back