• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there a big difference between the 3.0 vs 3.2

I decided to post my first thread in the Canadian forum as well, mind as well since I'm from Toronto. Hope you experts can help me out.

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff. Long time lurker on this site ( 3 years ), first time posting.

I always wanted an NSX, and I think this summer is finally the time. I just never drove one yet, my last car was 99 Type R ( stolen ). So I’m having an issue deciding if a 97+ with the 3.2 is worth the extra cash. I live in Ontario Canada so 97+ are pricey and RARE. I was really set on going down to the U.S. to find my dream car, but with the current exchange rate, it doesn’t make sense. Not too many NSX’s are available here.

Can anybody tell me if there is big performance difference between the 3.0 vs 3.2….as well as 5 speed vs 6 speed…..torque feeling etc…??? I already know the performance numbers between the two ( Road and Track etc). But I want to know the FEELING between the two, something numbers and a radar gun can’t tell you, unless you drive it.

I also love the idea of a Targa, but with the extra weight, I heard it makes the 3.0 engine in the 95-96 feel underpowered.

Anyways, I’m looking for the pros and cons from REAL owners. I can’t get this information anywhere else, this place is truly the best for NSX lovers. I never plan to race this car, maybe a couple track days here and there, but this will be my summer daily driver.

I hope to be driving a NSX this summer in downtown Toronto!

Well, I have drive 91 thru 95 with 3.0 engines, and currently I own a 97, and from my experience, there are hugh differences that warrant the extra $$ for the 97 + Cars.

-Eg the 3.2 fells stronger and the gear ratio (6 speed) is just better.

Read the info here on prime, and you'll soon discover that Honda redesign and improve all major areas of the car....that is where the differences are.

Bram

Last edited:
Imo

I would get a 97+

To me the extra cash is worth it..
I think its just better platform to do things with.
If you with with FI, you will see even more gains.

If I had to do it all over again and I had all the cash I spent on my NSX when I bought it. I would probably pay even more and get a 02+ thats if I decided to get a NSX of course

Hi There - WELCOME!

You have certainly come to the right place. Hang around here and once the cars are back out, if you're still interested, you can probably decide for yourself.

IMO, big difference in performance. But I would not let that dissuade you from an earlier car because some of my most favorite NSXs here (Toronto) are the earlier cars.

Those differences are so easy to change if you want to mod the car. Suspension is very easy and you can easily chuck a turbo or supercharger in there that makes the earlier cars way faster than a stock 97 with the money you may have saved.

So if you're looking for an NSX, I wouldnt use engine size as a factor. I would instead decide if you want a targa or a coupe.

If its a coupe, you are likely looking at earlier cars. If targa, youre stuck with a 95 plus.

Be aware that 95 and 96 cars have the smaller engine and 5 speed transmission in the heavier targa body, so they are the "slowest" (at least temporarily) of the NSXs. Easily changed if that is a problem for you.

So figure out if you want a targa or a coupe and then look at the years that make sense and what fits price wise.

PLUS there are a few local NSX Club of Canada members (which you should join, PM SWBATTE if interested) who are selling their cars. Those would be the ones I would look at first because 1) theyve been taken care of, and 2) we know their histories.

There are more than a few junker NSXs out there prettied up for a sale after a major accident.

Thanks alot BioBanker. I use to work on Bay Street at CIBC Mellon. I think I remember seeing your car a few times going down University. Also down Bay ( u- turn) then up the Gardiner Ramp to the DVP. Correct? I do that u-turn all the time as well.

I love the Targa.

Do you know anything about the Black 91 at Acura Sherway? http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=41290&adid=7203392

I went to check it out 2 months ago, former owner had all the papers. Sales rep said it was traded in for a newer NSX. $41900. 98k

BIOBANKER (Dave) has given you good advice, so has Bram.

The differences between a 91-96 & 97 + are fairly significant but not so much so that you wouldn't recognize a newer car if you owned an earlier model. In other words, while there is a 20hp diff, torque & gearing differences, with larger brakes, drive by wire throtle, targa etc. Driving a 91 will feel very similar to a post 97.

I owned a 92 for 6 years, and part of the reason I didn't buy a 02-05 was it felt almost identical to my 92. (and I couldn't get the deal done on the colour combo I wanted).

That said, an early car with good & correct mods can be a fantastic buy and more than compensate for any deficencies of an early stock NSX.

Buy based on Targa/Coupe & if a couple of 10ths to 60mph concern you avoid 95 & 96's & yellow NSXs. They are slower. :)

Agreed. Good advice above.

I think the biggest differentiator b/t the two is the addition of the 6 speed. The 20hp is partially negated by the additional weight of a targa but that 6 speed is wonderful.

My recommendations always seem to follow: early coupe for a frequently tracked car and a 6 speed targa for a street car.

Last edited:
I agree that the things that make the greatest impact on driver feel-seating position and steering feedback,and sound-are going to feel very similar if not identical between the newer and older cars.

It sounds like you want a targa. There are few enough of these cars around that you're probably best to pick a color and buy the first targa in that color that is in the condition you want for the price you think is fair. It COULD take months to find a car if you are picky.

When I drive a newer NSX back to back with my 93, frankly, I don't feel much difference. Unless the 3.2 is modded (I,E,chip etc) my 93 usually feels stronger. The first time I drove a 6 speed I was sure it was something I would have to have (or swap out)........I came away non plussed. I can see why it is quicker 0 to 60, but on the road it duznt seem to matter. The coupe seems to have a bit more of a rigid feel to it...... just my 2 cents

I track my ride and prefer the older / lighter / stiffer hardtop chassis to the latter targa rides. The 20hp isn't all that much and can be quickly rectified with a few small updates. I do however prefer the 6spd to the 5spd. This has been discussed to death by many, but for me the track I drive on really benefits from the gearing it offers without giving up the top end and tall gearing you gain good gas mileage from on road trips.

Tim

Back