• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there such a thing as the "BEST" exhaust for 2002+ NSX's?

I can personally testify to the sound of this gleibig's NSX. In our last meet, I believe he had a group of girls leaning outside of their SUV windows as he wound up his exhaust note. The car makes some SERIOUS noise.

The other day, I downshifted near a pregnant woman walking down the street. She immediately gave birth. partially true story.

Last edited:
I don't agree. At WOT you wont hear all the potential issues with droning at low speeds. The best way it to get a ride around town where you have to top at red lights multiple time and hear how it sounds at low RPM and daily driving.

Of course, if drone doesn't both you than that doesn't really matter.

I also didn't think that he might have to get his wife's or girlfriends approval of the tone/sound under varying driving conditions. :biggrin:

Guys, I know sound is totally "subjective" so let me try and explain this in words.

For me there is a difference between throaty/aggressive and just plain annoying loud - definitely DO NOT want the latter.

Let me give some examples - if any of you are familiar with the factory e46 m3 sound - it is tinny, sounds like a high pitched chain saw and I HATE that sound.

Compare this to my IS-F (V8) with the JoeZ which is a throaty rumble sound that is both deep and also racy at the same time.

There's a few local NSX's here that are just plain annoying in sound. (nothing against the owners if this is what they like) but I hate that sound and I'm pretty sure they are running TP's.

hope this helps you guys distinguish the sound I'm looking for.

I understand what you are saying. I have a E46 M3 and I removed the section 2 pipe and replaced it with a Rogue section 2 pipe. Its sounds alot less tinny.

Having said that, given that you dont want test pipes and you have 5.1 , get the headers. Its gives you a deeper tone at idle and WOT it will wail like a banshee. you will like it.

I'm trying to avoid running test pipes out here in CA - just too risky not to mention the black residue that collects on the bumpers.

I don't mind buying a header if it will help, take a look at this thread....opposite of what you posted, all this mixed info is so confusing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1557322#post1557322
Just get test pipes, you wont get stopped or anything. As far as black dirt on the bumper, a microfiber cloth will take care of that in less than 5 secs. Its worth it, test pipes definitely woke my Comptech up.

I had test pipe on my S2000 and couldn't stand the smell even with the top down. I can get stinky.

I have a video out there with the 5.1 + test pipes. The video was done right after I purchased the test pipes form a local and after he helped with the install.... I have to admit, it was a tad raspy, but two years later.. it's just as loud, but not as raspy. Does this make sense?

Yes. You have a hearing loss in the 4k band.

love my pride v2, but never tried the GTLW... i was after the sound. i will say i am VERY picky about the sound and drone, so me being happy with it is a winning endorsement. on my 300ZX TT, i went through 5 exhausts before finding the right one... on my WRX, i went through 6, the 5th was great, but the 6th was just better. i hit a home run right off the bat with the pride v2.

Oh well then there we have it. :rolleyes:
Thank God you showed up.:biggrin:

many do thank God for me, i helped a lot of people when i worked in the automotive industry and continue to do so with my knowledge, despite moving onto another industry.

I have a gt lightweight in an 02 plus and have friends with 04 nsx and 05 nsx No drone. So these complaints of drone are strange to me

I also have an nsx with an arc titanium and it sounds perfect. Very close in sound to the taitec gt lightweight

I've had AP-X for several months but sold it because I just wanted to sell the car :eek:.
However, after changing the exhaust to Pride V2, I decided to keep my NSX.:biggrin:
I've tried GTLW, AP-X and Pride V2. Drone wise AP-X > GTLW > Pride V2 (daily drivable).
However, purely sound wise on WOT, AP-X hands down:smile:

Last edited:
s4play,

I'm local, have an 02 with the angus ap-x v1 exhaust and otherwise stock engine, if you'd like to hear what it sounds like.

Yes would love to, will shoot you a PM - I'm also in the east bay (Fremont)

Can i buy your 5.1 :biggrin:

LOL nice try but I'm not selling it - even if I was there's another guy in front of you :wink:

To everyone else, much thanks for replying! It seems as to be expected everyone has their opinion on what exhaust is loud and the more info posted here the better!

P.S. I do not need my wife's approval since this car is 99% for myself only as she rarely rides in this car! I don't want drone either but I just find for an exotic looking car, my NSX is just way too quiet.

I wish I recorded a video of my IS-F with the JoeZ exhaust but that sound was 110% perfect. It was throaty, had virtually no drone and such a menacing deep roar! But it does have a V8 so that might be one reason.

Last edited:
I have a gt lightweight in an 02 plus and have friends with 04 nsx and 05 nsx No drone. So these complaints of drone are strange to me

I also have an nsx with an arc titanium and it sounds perfect. Very close in sound to the taitec gt lightweight

Strange. I like loud and can tolerate almost anything, but the drone @ cruising speeds was just too much for me in my 2002. Loud should be at WOT imo.

It takes lots trial and error ( read £££ ) to design and come up with an exhaust with Zero Drone! For me drone in any car is not something I want, but we all have different taste.

From what I understand, the GTLW only drones with stock exhaust manifolds or catalytic converters.
Mine is with Taitec test pipes and Cantrell headers and there is no drone.
Someone has also claimed that removing the engine cover silences the droning.
Not sure about the engine cover but the other components of your exhaust can change the resonance qualities as well as the muffler.

The gt lightweight I have and have ridden is sound stock from idle to 4500 rpm and the get a nice tone above 4500 rpm.

This exhaust is not loud and does not drone. I'm old and like a subtle tuned exhaust note and that is what you get with the taitec gt lightweight. It is so quiet it could have been a factory sport exhaust option. I think those saying it is loud must be mistaking it for another model of taitec exhaust, (they have several other exhaust models for the nsx and some are loud). But not the gt lightweight

The gt rom 5.1 is over rated. The sound is distinct and some will like it others will not. It is heavy due to the design and is is not the best performance exhaust. It is by no means a bad exhaust, but it is not the perfect exhaust or the holy grail that is is sometimes portrayed as.

I have personally run the following exhausts
Comptech. Quieter the stock, good performannce no character
Tubi. Small tubing, low performance good note
Arc titanium. Large tubing, very light weight, quiet at low rpm and nice note at higher rpm, very expensive
Taitec gt lightweight. Almost as light as the arc at 1/4 the price and a similiar nice exhaust note

just curious: is this exhaust still in production?

ARC (abbey road company) is out of business so this adds to their exclusivity, and unfortunately their price. Many of their parts & accessories are difficult to find now especially the elusive oil caps/intake manifold plate. If you are looking for an ARC Ti. exhaust, they used to be found on yahoo japan auctions and sell for a reasonable price. The ARC Ti. exhaust used to sell for under $3K (gb price) and eventually retail for $4.5K towards the end of the line.

Last edited:
The gt lightweight I have and have ridden is sound stock from idle to 4500 rpm and the get a nice tone above 4500 rpm.

This exhaust is not loud and does not drone. I'm old and like a subtle tuned exhaust note and that is what you get with the taitec gt lightweight. It is so quiet it could have been a factory sport exhaust option. I think those saying it is loud must be mistaking it for another model of taitec exhaust, (they have several other exhaust models for the nsx and some are loud). But not the gt lightweight

I think maybe the car you were in didn't have the GTLW. Nothing about what you wrote sounds like my experience in owning this exhaust.

Back