• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Itch for an S2000 again..

I owned an 2001 S2000 for a couple years before owning the NSX, I've been itching to have it back since I sold it and I had though the NSX would fill the void, but it's a different kind of beast.

I'm itching for one badly now and planning/hoping to pick one up in the winter/spring. The question is what configuration and how to avoid going mod crazy like I did with the NSX, meaning twice the $$$ + downtime + headache etc..

Preliminary thoughts:
-I like the updated 02 body style (especially the front bumper, not so much the rear) + the interior enhancements.
-I like the stronger 2.2 motor but don't like the lower rev-limited. A Hondata ECU, or I suppose AEM... can raise that.
-I hate the AP2 tranny gearing...
-I hate the AP2 stock suspension.
-I like the CT SC + Aftercooler... but don't want any trouble with.. :). PS: Does it work with Hondata and raised rev limiter? PSS: Does the aftercooler void the Honda warranty?
- I like Silver + Silver/Black or White + Black interior..

As such, ideal mods that I should get with the car...(list growing..)
*AP1 or 'better'/aftermarket suspension if AP2.
*CT w/ Aftercooler and/or raised rev limiter.
*Lightened exhaust.
*Better gearing for the transmission on 2.2 - whatever that is, an AP1 transmission???
*A lightened clutch and flywheel I suppose.
*Fancy bigger brakes..
*..(more later)

I want to spend no more than 20K, preferrably 15k for one under 50K miles early next year, or later I suppose if I can't find one.
The S2000 CR might be the right car... but it's going to be real hard finding it for <20K in that configuration.

This winter might provide a good market.. The key, I think s figuring out exactly what you want and being patient, since there are plenty of S2000's sold all the time...

Any advice on making the 'right' purchasing decision? :) I'd like to get something that will make my 'happy,' limit the wrenching and have enough mods to keep me happy and not itch for more $$$ later. The use of the car will be the general fun/daily driver + more track time with the NSX continuing to be... a weekend/project car :rolleyes:

Year doesn't matter if it has the 'features' I want but likely it will be an 04+.

Last edited:
I say go 04-05 since 06 they started drive by wire on s2000's. :rolleyes:

You get all the cosmetic refinements that pre AP2 owners want.Trust me im living proof along with many of my s2000 friends.lol.

Oh and yes the SC would void the warranty.To be honest I really doubt something would go wrong with the car anyways.Forget Hondata unless your 06+ year model.Go AEM ems if you wanna do ecu change.Thats what I have with my custom turbo setup.With SC's people do pretty good with the piggy backs provided though.

I say go 04-05 since 06 they started drive by wire on s2000's. :rolleyes:

You get all the cosmetic refinements that pre AP2 owners want.Trust me im living proof along with many of my s2000 friends.lol.

Oh and yes the SC would void the warranty.To be honest I really doubt something would go wrong with the car anyways.Forget Hondata unless your 06+ year model.Go AEM ems if you wanna do ecu change.Thats what I have with my custom turbo setup.With SC's people do pretty good with the piggy backs provided though.

Thanks. Why is DBW so bad..? the 06's also have VSA which I don't generally need, but if I let my wife drive the car....

Tell me more about your S2K build if you don't mind :)

I'm subscribing to this thread as I'm very seriously thinking of selling my NSX so I can put some $$ in my house, and then spend ~$12-15k on an S2K.

Thanks. Why is DBW so bad..? the 06's also have VSA which I don't generally need, but if I let my wife drive the car....

Tell me more about your S2K build if you don't mind :)
DBW will always have that slight delay in throttle response.It might be slight but I sure as hell can tell the difference.Its horrible in my IS300,decent in my friends 06 s2k,who knows about other cars.

As far as my s2000 I basically redid everything.I'll just list the engine part since cosmetics isnt big on your list.I had a custom turbokit made since I wanted a topmount mani.Even with a 9k redline,I only waited till 8 to shift.

My specs are:
Garrett gt35R turbo
Topmount mani
3in. downpipe
2.5in. charge pipes
AEM ems 1052 model
Precision 1000cc injectors
Precision 600hp capacity intercooler
Tial 50mm. bov
Tial 44mm wg

And the outcome @ 14psi which is pretty safe for stock internals.

4z8x36d.jpg

If you want similar power just get an inline pro kit.They have everything I had in my kit but its a bottom mount turbo.Lots and lots of happy customers with their kits.

If you wanna see my whole s2k story just watch the vid. :smile: The sound doesnt match because I got hit with a copyright so they did an audioswap for me.bah!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfpUuhycGTg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfpUuhycGTg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I still havent finished the car up again.Im finally getting around to it since I miss it now.I kinda threw it to the side when I got the nsx. :redface:

Old pics.
2w71tp3.jpg

282kw01.jpg

bgemtc.jpg

Heres what everyone likes to see.
350qv13.jpg

And a pic of it after the new paint,which i hated so im getting it redone.Notice the fender isnt on all the way and I have some notes all over the windshield written on the tape. :tongue:
2it50t5.jpg

i have owned 3 s2000's. an 00, and 02 and my current 08.

imo the s2000 is one of the ten best cars period for weekend enjoyment / pure pleasure driving.

on my ap1 i had gears (4.44's) suspension (bilstein pss9) exhaust (amuse ti) supercharger (comptech 7lb with aftercooler and and a whole host of other mods. with these mods the ap1 finally had the power it needed.

i sold it after getting it to perfection over 4 years and soon after realized that selling it was a mistake.

So i bought a new 08 ap2. I have added, just suspension, amuse titanium exhaust, stickier tires asm intake and my ap2 is more enjoyable to drive as my 4 year modified ap1.

some thoughts
a) the power band of the ap2 is much better and more enjoyable then ap1 (everyone that has an ap1 touts the 9k redline, but doesnt mention that the car sucks down low below 5k)
b)the drive by wire has no delay and is not detectable.. the poster above hasn't driven one, next i will hear that they can feel the delay in the nsx dbw, (which you also cant) you can in a civic .
c)the vsa is a good thing, add super sticky tires and the vsa is nice, with the stock tires, it comes on too soon and too abruptly, and takes the throttle away for too long.
d) the electronic brakeforce distribution of the newer s2ks is also good
e) the ecu in 06 and new s2k's is reflashable which i might just do and that is also a good think.

i plan on keeping my gpw 08 s2000 forever.

I say ... GO FOR IT!

I just picked up a 04 S2K last month and been using it as my daily driver. Funnest car to drive to work everyday and it gets descent gas mileages as long as you don't let your right foot do the driving (besides the small fuel tank).

are you looking to get rid of your nsx or just pick up an s as an extra car? i am selling my 04 silverstone with oem lip and side stakes with tein flex coilovers:wink: tan interior but could get black if you want. 40k miles

*edit* i am in oregon
SNC01109.jpg

Last edited:
Man. I'm looking to get into an S2000 for the first time ( before NSX #2 ).

I'm thinking 02 or 03.

are you looking to get rid of your nsx or just pick up an s as an extra car? i am selling my 04 silverstone with oem lip and side stakes with tein flex coilovers:wink: tan interior but could get black if you want. 40k miles
SNC01109.jpg

Save the tan interior, it sounds like something very interesting.. give/pm me more details.

"Forget Hondata unless your 06+ year model.Go AEM ems if you wanna do ecu change. "

why forget about the hondata? i think its absolutley amazing, my S2K is a 2002 and i have the Hondata k-pro stand alone, vortech suprercharger running on a 4.5" pulley with 8.5 psi, and i got 359whp on a dyno jet.

the Hondata is very good and easy to tune and understand + its a Honda ECU after all.

im very content with the SC's performance, turbo is great too but it lowers the exhaust noise :biggrin: i want that loud noise from my j's 70rr

My friend is selling one.. very clean car, great price. It's in the MD/DC/VA area.

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: S2000
Mileage: 51,xxx

Mods:

-Volk LE37 Limited Edition wheels 18x7.5 +55 front wrapped in 225/40 Pirelli P-Zero
18x8.5 +50 rear wrapped in 255/35 Falken Azenis
-Megan Track Series coilovers (32-way adjustable)
-Greddy Gracer front lip colormatched
-Greddy Eyelids colormatched
-Spugen Single exhaust (AMUSE R1 replica) 65mm -> most amazing sound ever
-Carbon fiber (very rare) rear bumper cover for single exhaust
-Invidia Testpipe (63mm)
-Password:JDM Carbon Spark plug cover
-Password:JDM fender/bumper bolts
-Password:JDM Radiator Stays
-Factory Airbox completely removed for sound and a little extra powah in dah vtec
-JDM Civic Si shiftknob
-AP2 S2000 radio cover

...i'm sure i'm missing some stuff...

$14k OBO...

or bone stock for $11.5k...OBO...

6080_96855658923_504933923_2032582_3211343_n.jpg

Let me know if you're interested, I'll put you in touch with him directly.

I'm wanting a totally stock S2k. I don't really want to inherit others tastes(mods) on it.
I plan on keeping it totally stock also.
I guess I need to get off my arse and put my NSX up for sale so I can move on one of these cars when I find the right one.

I had the first version back in 99 at the time it was amazing.If I were to get another I'd be looking at the cr.

I had a 99 stock garagequeen and sold it last spring. Very seldomly I think about it but I won't get another one.
If I would ever 'have to' buy another one I'd get a 99-01 as these are the purest S out there, compared to the later 'housewife-versions' Honda had to de-sharp because the early owners were unable to drive it and caused a massive amount of crashes. :tongue:

Back