• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ive been Converted!!!!!!!!!

Some said it could'nt be done....

Some said it should'nt be done....

Its taken almost a year since moving from Southern California to Sydney, Australia to convert my LHD NSX to RHD.
Reasons for bringing over an NSX instead of selling are many but two of the biggest were cost and selection (or lack of in Australia).

Mobility Engineering was chosen after being recommended by several automotive people here in Sydney as they have worked on several aluminum and F-cars.

The toughest part was finding LHD parts for the car. This also took the longest time, 5 months, since new parts would make the car cost too much.
A steering rack, dash, rear tail-lights and some other minor parts were needed. The steering rack was the hardest to find by far!
Most of all the other parts were able to be switched to the other side and wiring as well as some of the cooling hoses re-routed.
The firewall was the biggest concern as I did NOT want to cut into the car for a new firewall to be put in, greatly weakening the cars framework. They did an EXCELLENT job in cutting and patching holes for the firewall!!

After a LONG WAIT, my car was ready!!!! Almost one year and several thousands of dollars...it was finally ready. Since driving it, I thought I would notice a significant difference in how she handled, but I can honestly say that I dont notice ANY difference at all (except for the many potholes, scrapes up steep drives and not being able to get out of 2nd GEAR on Sydney streets, yeah, I need to head to WA!!).
The only complaint I have about the conversion is the need for new carpet as the old one doesnt cover everything, and I lost the passenger airbag due to the dash.

Now..the pics!!
8263DSC02045-med.JPG

8263DSC02046-med.JPG

8263DSC02053-med.JPG

8263DSC02681-med.JPG

8263DSC02685-med.JPG

8263DSC02694-med.JPG

8263DSC02690a-med.JPG

Last edited:
wow... i would love to do that with my NSX here in the US...

Uh oh, looks like this is going to be NSX-R conversion, part 2 for everyone. :D

Wow, looks like a huge undertaking. Glad to hear it worked out for you. I guess you're not coming back to the States any time soon, eh? :)

and again another RED one :biggrin:

WOW!!! This has to be the first time a LHD to RHD conversion has been done. Pretty cool to be driving your car as a RHD in another country! :smile:

Great Job!!

You beat me too it. I too had trouble finding a manual rack. Did you buy a front clip?

Did you change all the trunk, fuel flap & Hood release?

Do you have Mobility Engineering's contact details, I'd like to ask them some questions on my conversion.

Wayne

Thanks guys for the comments!! I was VERY apprehensive about this conversion but I have to say it worked out better than I thought!!!

Fury, awwww you miss me that much already?? and NO, im NOT doing the NSX-R conversion. Im DONE for awhile as my wife says its her turn to get a toy!

And yes, another RED NSX in Sydney....our red army grows even stronger!!! :biggrin:

Hypertune: Move was for, as Neo says " to live in one of the best places in the world". Wife is Aussie too!

DocL, thanks!!! I STILL catch myself going to the old "drivers side" of the car.

AdnanVCS, Walmart!! LOL :wink: . Seriously, I had mine done here in Sydney. I had to look for someone who has GREAT knowledge of aluminium cars.

WhrdNSX, Thanks!! Finding a rack is indeed TOUGH!! How is your conversion going??? I did have the trunk release moved but the fuel flap and engine hood release stayed where they were due to the molded parts BUT I did find an unexpected benefit by leaving them in the original position...can you guess what it is when you have a female passenger??:biggrin:

PM me and ill give you Mobilitys number!

K

AWESOME!!!

But those rims will have to go if you plan to stay in Sydney... ;) not "stock" enough. :D

NemesisX said:
Hypertune: Move was for, as Neo says " to live in one of the best places in the world". Wife is Aussie too!

That's good advice! :D

Nemesis- Congrats! Look forward to meeting up with you and seeing you around the streets.
which part of sydney u at ?

Thanks NSXBOX!!! Look forward to seeing you also!! I actually saw your NSX awhile back on Oxford St heading south!! Im in the lower north shore. Lets all get together soon!

Dude, that's wicked. You need to post step by step pictures so dumbos like me can do that too!!!

Just bumped into Nemesis X today on the way to work. We both pulled over. Car looks great!

Look forward to a proper catch up.
btw, did you have to change the tailights ?

Anyways mate. give me a buzz look forward to meeting up again.

Vancehu said:
Dude, that's wicked. You need to post step by step pictures so dumbos like me can do that too!!!

I did!! Step 1...take everything out!!

Step 2. Put everything on the OTHER side!!:biggrin:

Seriously Vancehu, thanks for the nice comment!!!!

NSXBOX said:
Just bumped into Nemesis X today on the way to work. We both pulled over. Car looks great!

Look forward to a proper catch up.
btw, did you have to change the tailights ?

Anyways mate. give me a buzz look forward to meeting up again.

HEY NICO!!!
Yep, had to change the tailights also!! and they LEAK!!!!:frown: time to get some new gaskets for them.

Ill give you a buzz tonight and lets all try to get together soon before the silly season ends!

Kevin

steveny said:
Man that sure seems like a lot of work to insure even wear on the seat bolsters.:biggrin:

:biggrin: And the floor mats, since they never let you buy just one :biggrin: !

Just curious though...was this required by Australian law to do this? Other than being pretty damned cool, it seems like a huge undertaking and I'm sure a huge pain in the ass to do just for the hell of it.

I do like the girlfriend's responsibilities being added to with the fuel door release :wink: .

Ruined 2 said:
:biggrin: And the floor mats, since they never let you buy just one :biggrin: !

Just curious though...was this required by Australian law to do this? Other than being pretty damned cool, it seems like a huge undertaking and I'm sure a huge pain in the ass to do just for the hell of it.

I do like the girlfriend's responsibilities being added to with the fuel door release :wink: .

Ruined, it was required where I am living, no way around it unfortunatly. I wouldnt have done it if I didnt need to, and being without her for a YEAR was brutal!!!!

I laughed at the "added girlfriends responsibilities"!!! LMAO
I just like being able to "reach" around and fumble for the hatch release......Honda put that release on the WRONG side...TRUST ME!!!:tongue:

NemesisX said:
I just like being able to "reach" around and fumble for the hatch release......Honda put that release on the WRONG side...TRUST ME!!!:tongue:

:biggrin: Never thought of it that way. Guess I've been with the girlfriend too long:rolleyes: :wink: .

Anyways, congrats on getting it done and being able to drive her again! Is it odd shifting with your left hand?

NemesisX said:
Im DONE for awhile as my wife says its her turn to get a toy!
Their toys are not as expensive...

I do not think I understand your passion, going through all this if you are just staying a year.:smile: Must be true love.

midNight Sun Xpress said:
Their toys are not as expensive...

I do not think I understand your passion, going through all this if you are just staying a year.:smile: Must be true love.
He said it took a year to do the conversion...he seems to be staying for a long long time..

Ruined 2 said:
Is it odd shifting with your left hand?

Im still not used to it. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is easy as its a straight shot downward....3rd thru 5th I have to make sure Im in the right gear...so Im constantly checking and looking down at what gear im going into...
A couple times I thought I was in 1st but in 3rd and stalled....such a rookie move!!:rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:

Back