• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I've been robbed last day of 2011

It was in about 9 pm when I arrived home with wife and two kids.When we entered in house we found open dors and windows.I knew immediatelly whats happened.To me we arrived in home when burglar was still in home but after he saw as he run away with some gold,lap top and app.4000$(we didnt seen him).After we called police but no finger prints.I'm very angree because my wife and kids are scared,if I could catch him in any way he will remember me.It is a first time and it's no comfortable.
I have alarm in house but it was extinguished.
Does some one had same problems and do I have to expect another visit?

It was in about 9 pm when I arrived home with wife and two kids.When we entered in house we found open dors and windows.I knew immediatelly whats happened.To me we arrived in home when burglar was still in home but after he saw as he run away with some gold,lap top and app.4000$(we didnt seen him).After we called police but no finger prints.I'm very angree because my wife and kids are scared,if I could catch him in any way he will remember me.It is a first time and it's no comfortable.

Sandro,

Sorry to hear about it. I have no advice, just feel for you.

Miner

Sorry for your loss. It's bad here in my town as well. Almost everyday someones getting robbed at gun point. Holidays always seems to draw out the crooks.:frown::frown:

Hey Bud,

I know exactly how you are feeling right now. You're constantly looking out the windows and watching people that drive by to see if they are "Checking up" on you. You watch every single person that passes your house, you feel vulnerable, and violated.

This same thing happened to me back in 09. Someone kicked in my door and turned my whole house upside down, stole all the electronics, my wife's jewelry, and broke a lot of things. all of this happend in mid daylight while I was down the road from my house.

and I can tell you a couple things that might help give you a little peace of mind.

1. These guys are opportunist, they are NOT still watching you. They saw an opportunity and they took it. don't count on them ever coming back. why would they take a chance on coming back, knowing that your going to be upping your security?

2. When this happen to me, the worst part of it all, for me, was not knowing what they did when they were inside my house? So I invested into a surveillance system, I now have cameras covering all over my property. Now I am able to watch my house from my phone or when I am anywhere in the world with live feed. you can pm me for details on that if you would like. but that right there, will help you get back to a normal mindset the fastest. (or thats what helped with the most for me)

It's been about 2 1/2 years since my house was broken into and it has slowly gone back to normal for me and my family.

hope this helps, pm me if you have any questions on surveillance systems

never keep cash at house or atleast hide it under the kitchen sink they would never look for a soap box with cash in it.

I have heard some burglars return if its an easy place to break into but since he got away with so much cash he will try again to see if there is more cash it was prob worth it to him.

now since you chased him out of your house that scary memory will play in his mind so he may not come back. or if he does it will be with another person so if you catch him again you will have more than one person to fight.

maybe get a big dog. and beef up your security on the house.
and install internet camera that record the exterior of the house and the interior of the house. a criminal will cover their face outside the house but when they get inside they take off their masks so you would get a great face pic inside maybe a main hallway.

so sorry this happened, I have never had it happen to me and would hate to have to go to jail because I would shoot to KILL as I carry a pistol with me at all times GLOCK 17 9mm

Here in TX, you could have used this to solve your little problem.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/siOEEOTjGqM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys,how town that I'm liveing is not so big (250 000 people) I hope that will get some back informations.I know quite a people some from police some from crime milieu,I spreaded the story we will see if something come to the surface.
I will impruve my security sistem and I'm considering to by a gun.

250,000 is not big?? That's crazy big where I am. My *city* has a population of 17,000 and I have a video security system after my wife's car was broken into in our driveway. 250,000 is larger than every single city in Massachusetts with the exception of Boston (which only has 620,000). With that many people, you definitely need some beefy security.

I remember as a kid when someone broke into my house. We had a dog. They gave him a steak. That was a sucky feeling.

You should be fine. Happened to me over the summer while I visited California. Sucks alot when you come home to something like this. At lease all they took was items and not lives. Instead of getting a actual alarm you could just a siren or something similar like a alarm system but only makes noise. If a alarm of some sort when off I'm sure any robber would run while they still could even if they didn't know the police was coming or not.

250,000 is not big?? That's crazy big where I am. My *city* has a population of 17,000 and I have a video security system after my wife's car was broken into in our driveway. 250,000 is larger than every single city in Massachusetts with the exception of Boston (which only has 620,000). With that many people, you definitely need some beefy security.

I remember as a kid when someone broke into my house. We had a dog. They gave him a steak. That was a sucky feeling.

Eaven city of 250 000 is we call "village".People know lots about people if you are known for something (bad or good,car,bussines,sport...)don't need to be some celebrity.

best time for robberies everyone is out partying, i found this out the hardway twice, stayed home on news year after that, until i moved. They come back assuming you replace everything with insurance. Good luck be vigilant. Emotionally it stays with you a long time.

Time go get a BIG dog... ever since I got a dog I've never had any issues...

My house has been broken into many many times. Once while I was there. That dude was lucky the cops got there so fast.... also get an alarm system that has a celular connection to its service instead of using hard lines with battery backups for power... sorry for your loss hopefully insurance will take care of you.

My house got hit a few years ago. My wife still doesn't like be home along on the weekends.

A few things we have done to help security and ease our minds

1. Security lights (lots of them. All corners of the house) Criminals hate light.

2. A good monitored alarm system with a back up cellular connection.

3. Surveillance system with motion detection (this will email or text you a photo of motion around your home) Get good quality cameras with leds so you can see in low light situations.

4. Depending on how your door are, use longer screws that go into the frames of the doors (makes them harder to kick in)

5. A dog (large or small) creates unwanted attention.

Reality is I live in a metropolitan city and crime is all around me.

Sorry your family has to go through that.

Audible alarm that rings loudly and has an exterior flashing light.

Computer based security cameras covering all sides of the house, including F&R yards. The key here is to have good quality cameras that record images which will be of sufficient quality to allow for identification of the crooks.

The front yard camera should cover the parking areas in your driveway and or front of the house.

Exterior night lights that illuminate your home - Crooks definitely hate well lighted areas.

How about just moving outta Croatia.

My Croatian friends tells me that country and surrounding countries has some "issues".

"Issues" are EVERYWHERE. You can live in the worse or the best cities in the world and crime will still happen!

"Issues" are EVERYWHERE. You can live in the worse or the best cities in the world and crime will still happen!

It happens ALOT less in certain parts.

Just look at my 'hood.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2011/06/10/monster-billionaire-mansions/

The cops seldom bother wearing a bullet proof vest around here. Yes, we have a SWAT team (maybe 3 cops total) that use large mansions in the middle of being remodeled for simulations.

Cops here are VERY laid back. It's like the gallipolis island.

Parents let their kids walk around on their own at night. Hardly anyone locks their doors to their mansions or cars. Garages with cars and toys that are worth more than a NSX are left out for all to see.

I see more F and L cars than I see NSX. That makes my NSX more "exotic" since it's more rare.

There is a family up the street that spends $500k/year for the family racing budget. They have Vector W8, BMW this and that, Noble M12, F430 ( to go down the hill to get cafe), etc. Another family has one of the first turbo'd NSX (I think DA knows about them and did work). He has a S7 TT, F car this and that.

Veyron, Koeneggsegg are the true exotics around here.

So who lives here?

Google, HP, Intel, Yahoo, etc. founders and execs.

Get one of these, it wont be fooled by a steak thats for sure! Best guard dog ever, and big as a pony :biggrin:

Last edited:
Two more things I did that helped is when my alarm goes off I have three sirens.
One on each side of the house as well as one on the inside...the one on the inside is 138 db so even if you are in the house, you will not stick around.

Another thing I use is this...it is called FakeTV....I put it in the room so it makes it look like someone is inside watching TV. As silly as it sounds...it works. No one wants to break into a home if they think someone is there.

faketv.jpg

Sorry to hear, some good advice already has been posted. I never leave any sort of cash at home. Matter of fact, the only cash I ever carry is in my wallet. Which is approximately $13.34 today. My wife usually has less. Not sure what options you have in Croatia, but insure all your valuables and never leave a large amount of cash at home.

Thanks for post's it would be ok I upgrade my alarm system and will turn it ON when I'm not at home and yes I sharped my katana.
Those who wasn't been in Croatia it's not dangerous place but this things happens(crisis are all over the world).

Last edited:
Two words: German Shepherd.

Our dog Draco is 80 lbs of solid muscle and has a deep, bellowing bark that makes even me jump. He only barks when he alerts and it is SCARY. He also looks truly intimidating with a giant black and tan head and huge teeth. We walk him frequently both for exercise and also so anyone who might be scoping the hood sees us walking a huge German Shepherd into the house. People usually turn around and go the other way when they see us coming lol. We walked by a neighbor with him one day and he exclaimed, "Well, you'll never get robbed!"

Plus, you get the companionship of a dog, which is awesome. Draco loves our family and is so much fun to have around- it's a rewarding experience plus peace of mind.

Had this have been me walking back in my house here in Virginia/USA, I would've pulled my Glock 19 out of the holster (I conceal carry) and shot the intruder to protect my family.

Back