• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ive researched my eyes out, Please chime in.

I am trying to diagnose my ABS system, been to the danoland page, and been scouring prime for hours. here is my problem:

when i turn on the car, there is no ABS pump and or motor noise. after the 120 sec interval, the ALB light comes on. Since owning the car, I have not heard the ABS system run. I tried checking the fuses, they were all good, I tried removing the relay and putting in the switch and nothing happened when i closed it. This leads me to believe either the abs motor/pump assembly is either not getting power, OR, is seized up/burnt out. however, there is no writeup I have been able to find on the procedure to properly test if the ABS motor/pump has failed. this is where I need help. I need to figure out how to test it properly and, how to remove it/install it if necessary.

what year is your car?

I wouldn't be surprise if it's the accumulator, my light came on when I bought the car, swap it out and did the tricks. Prime member swiftvision is selling one in the market place, I believe he still have, wouldn't hurt to try. I now exercise the Abs once a month to get things flowing. Good luck

just tested the solenoids themselves via dano's method, with each flick of the switch, i heard the satisfying click of a solenoid operating. i got barely any bubbles, im assuming because the system isnt under pressure thanks to the pump not working.

as for the pump, i made some test wires out of some female quick disconnects, and took power straight from the battery to the plug for the motor/pump assembly. nada. zlich. nothing. so, unless the ABS pump/motor assembly has a chassis ground outside of the connector (like a starter on some cars) that I am unaware of, I think it may be safe to say that the culprit of my problem is the pump/motor assembly.

does anyone have a DIY for removing and replacing the ABS pump/motor? danos page says its "easy" but it looks like a tight, complicated mess down there from where Im standing.. in the meantime till i can source a reasonably priced replacement motor, i suppose I will short the pressure switch to avoid having to stare at the you failed at life ALB light everyday.

Since owning the car, I have not heard the ABS system run.
After you get this fixed (whatever the cause is), you still need to activate the ABS periodically to keep the solenoids from sticking. About once a month (in any months you're not storing the car), you can take it out on a deserted street, get it up to a good speed (40 mph is enough) without anyone behind you, and slam on the brakes as hard as you can. You should hear the ABS activate and feel the brake pedal pulsing.

Back