• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jailbreak iPhone 4s.

I finally upgraded from my 3G to a 4gs and I want to jailbreak it to view everything on my LCD screen in my car.

I've read a few websites on it and talked to a few people. Does anyone have feedback on how to do this or what program to purchase?

There's also a rumor I heard that apple is now "searching" for jailbroken iPhones and will shut yours down if detected or something.

iPhone 4S can "mirror"...

Getting your home-screen onto an LCD via an Apple mobile device is possible via iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S. So there's no need for "jailbreaking" if you have one of those mobile devices to "mirror" onto an LCD. If you have an iPad, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, then you have to "jailbreak" it to get "mirroring" onto an LCD.

The iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4G can only video "mirror" w/o "jailbreaking" (ie. only see media such as music, vids, pics, docs, etc but not app content, GPS/nav-maps, browser windows, home-screen, etc).

There may be need for a proprietary cable-adapter via Apple such as this to do such.

By "mirroring" I mean EVERYTHING you see on your mobile device (ie. text-screen & keyboard, GPS/nav-maps, browser windows, app content, home-screen, etc) will appear on your LCD, as well as any media (ie. music, video, pics, doc's, etc).

Last edited:
Re: iPhone 4S can "mirror"...

Everything you need to know is right here.

Getting your home-screen onto an LCD via an Apple mobile device is possible via iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S. So there's no need for "jailbreaking" if you have one of those mobile devices to "mirror" onto an LCD. If you have an iPad, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, then you have to "jailbreak" it to get "mirroring" onto an LCD.

The iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4G can only video "mirror" w/o "jailbreaking" (ie. only see media such as music, vids, pics, docs, etc but not app content, GPS/nav-maps, browser windows, home-screen, etc).

There may be need for a proprietary cable-adapter via Apple such as this to do such.

By "mirroring" I mean EVERYTHING you see on your mobile device (ie. text-screen & keyboard, GPS/nav-maps, browser windows, app content, home-screen, etc) will appear on your LCD, as well as any media (ie. music, video, pics, doc's, etc).

So you're saying I don't have to jailbreak my 4s to view apps and prime on my touch screen LCD then?

I looked at the cable you linked, I have an apple cable that plugs into the charging port and runs to a 3 male set of RCA video cables. I'm pretty sure that would work because I can view YouTube videos, just not anything else.

I like to use Redmondpie.com for ios jailbreaking. Mostly very quick update and solid jailbreak guise.

yeah 4S does not need jailbreak.

How then? Do I need to download an app to view everything on my LCD screen then?

Turbo, detail detail man.

Double click the home button. scroll all the way left. With the cable hooked up you should have an icon that when you press you get mirroring. That is how airplay mirrors and I am assuming it is the same with the digital cable. I've seen it done I just havent done it. The cable is an HDMI out. However I don't know what thers is for car LCD's with HDMI in.

Double click the home button. scroll all the way left. With the cable hooked up you should have an icon that when you press you get mirroring. That is how airplay mirrors and I am assuming it is the same with the digital cable. I've seen it done I just havent done it. The cable is an HDMI out. However I don't know what thers is for car LCD's with HDMI in.

Gotcha. I'll try it with my cable plugged in. Have you seen videos with this cable and not a hdmi?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A

The one linked is the one I have. The LCD screen I have is the alpine s370.

I'm semi sure there's probably a cable that goes from hdmi to video RCA. There's cables for everything nowadays.

It has to be a digital connection. I don't think you can mirror using analog connections. I could be wrong on this but my gut and experience tell me no. HDMI communication needs to happen. Are you getting video at all?

Last edited:
It has to be a digital connection. I don't think you can mirror using analog connections. I could be wrong on this but my gut and experience tell me no. HDMI communication needs to happen. Are you getting video at all?

Yeah I get video from YouTube app and audio from any audio I think from the phone, at least music and Siri telling me it's not connected...

I was reading on the g8 forum though that you are right, it needs to be some kind of signal out cord, the apple to hdmi and apple to vag com port thing I think works, then you'll need a converter from amazon for another 40 bucks or so.

I heard there's a few problems those ways though. I'll let ya know what I end up doing. Finally figured out my stereo system too which I'll update people with.

Just did it, It's awesome. I've been an Iphone user since the first price drop of the 2g ones and have to say that this unlocks so many features.

On top of that I can now view everything on my lcd screen inside my car. Wish I jail broke my phone earlier :biggrin:

Like WHAT? What happens when there is an IOS update? Can you still use icloud or backup the phone on via itunes?

Congrats. I've had every iPhone, iPad, and apple tv jail broken. I wouldn't own one without a jailbreak. You can do so much more.

Like WHAT? What happens when there is an IOS update? Can you still use icloud or backup the phone on via itunes?

Themes, addition VPN protocols, access to apps Apple didn't approve that are truly resourceful, download music on the fly, skip ads and unlimited song skips in pandora, game hacks, game system emulators, install addition media players to play other file formats from my home NAS, tethering, video mirroring, etc. etc.

When there is an update, you backup to the cloud or iTunes, update, jailbreak, restore from backup. The only thing is that the jail breaks can sometimes take a few weeks to come out, so you hold off updating until ready.

Phone is completely normal with iCloud and iTunes. Jail breaking just allows you to install more than apple intended, but it does not break or disable any of the default functions.

Now I am a systems admin by career and a bit of a gadget geek by hobby. I enjoy this sort of stuff.

tethering? for free?

Just did it, It's awesome. I've been an Iphone user since the first price drop of the 2g ones and have to say that this unlocks so many features.

On top of that I can now view everything on my lcd screen inside my car. Wish I jail broke my phone earlier :biggrin:

what did you do exactly?

i have verizon, samsung galaxy s. i root it, now i can tether wifi to my ipad so i can use the bigger screen.. drawback?? eat up battery life like nothing. but it's worth it.. my ipad 2 is jb too..

what did you do exactly?

To jailbreak my phone? I followed some Absinthe Link and it took about 10 minutes total.

To view everything on my screen? I originally bought a video cable from apple. The one that plugs into your iphone and goes to 3 rca's "white, yellow, and red" if I remember.

I then downloaded a program called tvOutTuner. There may be different versions but I forget. This program lets you view everything that you're doing on your iphone on any screen when it's hooked up. It also allows you to lock in certain views like landscape or portrait and you can center the screen as well.

It's awesome.

Back