• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Joy ride worries

Don't leave it - period! I have witnessed too many inappropriate actions, from slamming the engine glass repeatedly to burnouts and hard braking. Somewhere in each shop is at least one disgruntled employee that doesn't care about anything and the NSX is a "screw you rich guy" magnet.

I had my nsx at an audio shop for almost a month last summer getting a new sound system, cf dash, door inserts, alarm, gauges etc (a lot of parts is my point). I called them weekly for updates, and they knew I was anal about who moved the car into the bay and worked on it. 3 weeks into it I call to talk to the owner (the guy who was the only one supposed to work on the car). The receptionist told me he's away for a doctors appointment. No biggie. I asked if I can stop by to get something out of the glove box of the car. "Umm...no you can't because he took the NSX to his appointment". I flipped. Turns out his DD was taken by an employee to pick up parts and he took mine to see his dentist. I was livid. I was there the next day to collect the car and take it elsewhere. Of course it was in no shape to leave (interior was still larely in pieces) but he apologized and offered a discount. I played nice since I was stuck, let him finish the job and have never been back since.

Last edited:
Somewhere in each shop is at least one disgruntled employee that doesn't care about anything and the NSX is a "screw you rich guy" magnet.

jerry-lewis-1.bmp
Hoo Boy.

Last edited:
Don't leave it - period! I have witnessed too many inappropriate actions, from slamming the engine glass repeatedly to burnouts and hard braking. Somewhere in each shop is at least one disgruntled employee that doesn't care about anything and the NSX is a "screw you rich guy" magnet.

Off the topic. Do you have a problem to close the glass engine without slamming it? I, myself, have to slam it to close it.. If not, is there a way to adjust it?

Off the topic. Do you have a problem to close the glass engine without slamming it? I, myself, have to slam it to close it.. If not, is there a way to adjust it?

You should be able to just push down on it until it clicks. If not something is probably wrong with it. Same with the trunk.

just make sure you know who your dropping it off too, i drop it off to the same guy i have been going to for years, but i'm usually there till he is done servicing the car

if you don't know the mechanic who is working on your vehicle, recording the mileage is a must for any service getting done.

if you don't have a pen and paper, save it on your phone, or take a picture of the odometer

if you don't know the mechanic who is working on your vehicle, recording the mileage is a must for any service getting done.

if you don't have a pen and paper, save it on your phone, or take a picture of the odometer

Let's assume that we do all of the recommendations that are listed here and find out later that your car still being driven regardless of the warnings . What other actions can we take against the owners of the shops? Just curious

Let's assume that we do all of the recommendations that are listed here and find out later that your car still being driven regardless of the warnings . What other actions can we take against the owners of the shops? Just curious

From a law standpoint you'd have to prove they drove it. Traffic cameras, shopping mall cameras, etc. There are more out there than you think.

OF course youd have to get access to the tapes (if they even have them).

Id say, unfortunately, that your chances are slim.

Doesn't anyone here write down the mileage when they drop their car off. Usually the store manager will put it on the invoice or I go out and write the mileage on the estimate page where I sign it. I've never had a problem and I will leave my car anywhere to get the work done.

Always, always!

LMAO! I've seen this expression in alot of auto-repair waiting rooms.

Well, when you're in a auto-repair waiting room, try not to talk out loud or to many people and it won't happen.:wink:

Last edited:
My female cousin, who remembers my concerns about joy riders, just sent me this link (seems to be from 1997): http://www.wsbtv.com/video/19971404/index.html

The vid reminded me how back in April, at my request, the seller from whom I bought my NSX (he was also the first owner and also a car dealer) took the car to Riverside Acura in Little Rock, AR for a PPI and to get the 15k service done. He was extremely adamant that they do NOT test drive the car, and ensured this "no drive" instruction was written on the service sheet. Car is flawless, and he didn't want to risk any damages to it before I picked it up.

Riverside Acura "test drove" (went joy riding, as they really didn't need to do any test driving) the car any way, as evidenced from the scuffed skirt (the black plastic below the front fender -- forgot the official name) that my seller immediately noticed. Seemed like the Acura dealership wouldn't even have mentioned the damage to my seller if he didn't notice. Needless to say, he wasn't too pleased, and had them order a new skirt and replace the scuffed on at their cost. And this time he watched them do the replacement. The dealership probably ended up spending more on replacing the skirt than on the PPI and 15k service.

Like some guys have done, I'll be getting a GPS tracking device, and or waiting at the repair shop when I get work done.

I think, like posted above, it is just better to take off the wheels, but then i suppose not every one cares. On both my rx7 and my z, i wont let anyone work on the car and if it has to go to stealership, i will leave the trip at 300 so they cant reset it. You guys are crazy to leave your nsx alone, its like letting a kid with a honda civic move the ferrari onto the lift, but then he takes it for a ride. I dont know much about the nsx since i dont have one but will never let anyone do the brakes, oil ect cause i know how people act. As it is i took off most of my aero kit off the z for the oil test so they didnt break it off driving it up the lift. The only person that cars for your car is you. period.

If at all possible, I would not take my car and leave it anywhere. Personally, I remove my wheels and take them to the tire shop. This will also save your studs and lug nuts from impact abuse... :wink:

+1 I don't trust the tire shop.

I do leave my car with my trusted NSX tech because he always has 3 or 4 in his shop at all times and mine is usually the least modified of the bunch. And of course he records mileage in and out...but I expect him to test drive it afterwards.

Never leave the car! Bring the wheels in separately.

If you have to leave the car, give specific instructions with a manager on what your preference is. Also show them that you wrote down the milage. No point writing it down for your own reference. Let the store know that you are keeping track. They better be able to justify/explain every single mile that was added from the number you wrote down.

My female cousin, who remembers my concerns about joy riders, just sent me this link (seems to be from 1997): http://www.wsbtv.com/video/19971404/index.html

He left it there for weeks until he could afford to pay the bill.... ah, what's wrong with this picture?

"I looked at his car, and thought man that thing needs a good run." :biggrin:

I know how he feels, when I see some of my fellow NSXers' garage queens that haven't seen Vtec since they left the factory. :) The redline has no meaning unless you use it!

He left it there for weeks until he could afford to pay the bill.... ah, what's wrong with this picture?

"I looked at his car, and thought man that thing needs a good run." :biggrin:

I know how he feels, when I see some of my fellow NSXers' garage queens that haven't seen Vtec since they left the factory. :) The redline has no meaning unless you use it!

So their spark plugs are dirty, too...

Greetings

Always write down the mileage to the nearest .1 mile and let the vendor know that it costs $100/mile if they drive it. For tires they should take it on a 1 -- 2 mile test drive. Make it clear up front and the vendor will appreciate you.

Cheers,
Martin

These are the exact kinds of reasons why I'm getting a bit tired of the NSX.
Taking such steps for such routine things is not really all that fun to me. I have more important things to do with my time than taking wheels off cars, watching over people touching the car, etc.
It is afterall, just a car.
flame suit hasn't been used in a while so it is now on.:wink:

These are the exact kinds of reasons why I'm getting a bit tired of the NSX.
Taking such steps for such routine things is not really all that fun to me. I have more important things to do with my time than taking wheels off cars, watching over people touching the car, etc.
It is afterall, just a car.
flame suit hasn't been used in a while so it is now on.:wink:

That's exactly why I just choose not to worry/care about a shop taking my NSX for a joy ride. I just assume they won't and I certainly prefer that they don't, but should it happen, I'm not going to let it bother me for more than a minute. I'll think to myself, "jerks... guess I can't trust them" and that will be the end of it. I'm definitely not going to jump through hoops and go to great inconvienceses to "protect" myself. Like you said, it's just a car.

Back