• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JRZ Suspension

OK, so is the JRZ worth it?

I've had my Comptech Pros for awhile and they are GREAT on the track and OK on the street. However, this weekend one of my students had a stock 05 NSX and it's the first time I have been back in a stock NSX in a long time and I forgot how nice the ride was.

So... got me thinking of either going backwards to the Type S (part of me is tired of tinkering and as long as it can be adjusted I will keep adjusting. :( ) or bucking it up and getting a set of JRZ.

On the Comptech Pros I had to jack up the car enough to get the tires to droop and then could reach above them and adjust the rebound. To adjust compression, I have to take the wheel off and undo the top mounting to rotate the shaft while pressing a button down. Too much trouble to do out at the track.

How do you adjust the comp/rebound on the JRZs?

They are definitely worth it ! I removed my JICs so I could buy the JRZs. My JICs only had about 280 miles on them but once I drove lutera's car with JRZ dampers I knew I had to make the move. As far as adjustment you have the rebound knob on top which is easy to access but the height adjustment is smiliar to what you described and compression will require removal the wheel. The compression dial is on the bottom and you can easily turn it by inserting a jewlers screwdriver in order to use it as a lever.

Last edited:
CRJ Captain, maybe you should just go buy at set of 2812 shocks and reused all the comptech hardware, that's my set up and I loved it!!!
It's a lot easier to adjust too, seems like the JRZ still required wheel taken off to adjust one of its setting, (yet, I assume the knob at the top is compression, which is as easy as those Japanese coilovers.) The 2812 had both adj. knob on top of the shocks but underneath the mounting hat. you need to jack up the car to adjust it though.

http://www.koniracing.com/images/File/2812_Reference_Sheet.pdf

OK, so is the JRZ worth it?

I've had my Comptech Pros for awhile and they are GREAT on the track and OK on the street. However, this weekend one of my students had a stock 05 NSX and it's the first time I have been back in a stock NSX in a long time and I forgot how nice the ride was.

So... got me thinking of either going backwards to the Type S (part of me is tired of tinkering and as long as it can be adjusted I will keep adjusting. :( ) or bucking it up and getting a set of JRZ.

On the Comptech Pros I had to jack up the car enough to get the tires to droop and then could reach above them and adjust the rebound. To adjust compression, I have to take the wheel off and undo the top mounting to rotate the shaft while pressing a button down. Too much trouble to do out at the track.

How do you adjust the comp/rebound on the JRZs?

Last edited:
The 'convenient' knob on top (like most coilover options out there) should be rebound, while compression is at the base of the damper.

Usually, you can get away with jacking up each individual corner and reaching in the wheel well with the key and make damper adjustments (for Koni, JRZ compression, and KW) without taking the wheel off. This may be a little inconvenient but that's the way many proper race dampers are designed. After a few sessions of trial and error, you will figure out the setup that works best for you. With a little more time and experience, you will set your settings at the beginning of the day, maybe make minor changes during the day, and then set them back to a more comfortable setting for the drive home at the end of the day.

They are definitely worth it ! I removed my JICs so I could buy the JRZs. My JICs only had about 280 miles on them but once I drove lutera's car with JRZ dampers I knew I had to make the move. As far as adjustment you have the rebound knob on top which is easy to access but the height adjustment is smiliar to what you described and compression will require removal the wheel. The compression dial is on the bottom and you can easily turn it by inserting a jewlers screwdriver in order to use it as a lever.

Epic bump here but just wanted to know how the JRZ's are so far after having them for so long....... thx! I've been told the right quality can be like a Lexus and can be quickly tweaked for a hot lap at the track.... thoughts?

Epic bump here but just wanted to know how the JRZ's are so far after having them for so long....... thx! I've been told the right quality can be like a Lexus and can be quickly tweaked for a hot lap at the track.... thoughts?

I removed my JRZs and sold them. I was waiting for a set of brake line clips so I didn't have to zip tie my brake lines to the front dampers. (they are still not available) I know this sounds crazy but it drove me crazy. Shad at Driving Ambition installed my KW V3 suspension so I haven't driven the car with the new setup yet. Im sure it will be nice though.

I have been dying to hear a comparison from someone who has felt both in an NSX.. I have koni's with H&r's but am ready to make the step up but am getting mixed reviews from both camps neither feeling the other. The only person I know who has had both was an S2000 and he said the JRZ's are so much better when tuned then the KW's which he couldn't get comfy enough for him...

I have been dying to hear a comparison from someone who has felt both in an NSX.. I have koni's with H&r's but am ready to make the step up but am getting mixed reviews from both camps neither feeling the other. The only person I know who has had both was an S2000 and he said the JRZ's are so much better when tuned then the KW's which he couldn't get comfy enough for him...

A friend of mine has JRZ on his 996... and he loves them... but I've never been in a car w/ JRZ suspension and I too am curious about how the comfort is.......

for the money though, why not go w/ moton? even tho at that point unless you're doing track days, its major overkill.... but I am always about the overkill factor!

So I figured I'd share a little info on the subject of the JRZ suspension.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Andrie Hartanto yesterday night and discussed the JRZ RS and RS Pro Setup with him in detail as well as the competing systems.

First off I went through the historical education in which most of the copmanies we are familiar with were from designed by people who came from Koni. Andrie gave great credit to Koni as the "father" of many of the brands we see today. Also the 2812 series form Koni being the setup he won his championship with.

A little insight I found out that Moton was bought out recently by AST and also that many parts of the JRZ and Moton dampers are interchangeable. Thus making part hot swappable. He did recommend that because Moton was being bought out that perhaps it might be safer to stay away. Not sure if that is the right course of action.

All in all the JRZ RS Pro setup is about $800 more than the RS setup and so it is well worth it if you can afford it and have no problem with the mounting of the reservoirs onto the car. The recommended setup for the track was 1000 lb/in front and 600 lb/inch rear as far as springs go, and surprisingly if you dont mind the bumpiness you can ride around on the street just fine.

I was informed that a helper spring is used in the RS Pro setup (correct me if I'm wrong) to keep tension on the spring at all times, as well as some other hardware for the setup which differentiates the RS and RS Pro setups as well as the reservoirs.

I was hoping to find some information on the damper travel for the NSX or if someone that is running the Koni 2812 setup could send me they setup specs.

Cheers.

Xetronic sorry to go ot but how is Andrie doing? Is he still racing?

Did anybody in Europe bought his JRZ RS or RS Pro set in Europe as they're based in the Netherlands? Due to local regulations I need a TüV certificate for them.

So since no one else has asked this i will, could you give us a comparison between your JRZ and now your KW V3 for street and track if possible
I removed my JRZs and sold them. I was waiting for a set of brake line clips so I didn't have to zip tie my brake lines to the front dampers. (they are still not available) I know this sounds crazy but it drove me crazy. Shad at Driving Ambition installed my KW V3 suspension so I haven't driven the car with the new setup yet. Im sure it will be nice though.

Back