• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just acquired a 91 NSX

Looking for recommendations on where to have my newly acquired NSX serviced/modified in Northern CA. I live in Marin and work in San Francisco.
Car is stock 91, with 31,500 miles and plenty of deferred maintenance...
Thanks for any help.

I go to Don at Hilltop Automotive in Daly City. I am extremely happy with his work and care taken with my car, a 1996 NSX. I have no reservations about recommending him. Many others on this forum have the same view.....

Looking for recommendations on where to have my newly acquired NSX serviced/modified in Northern CA. I live in Marin and work in San Francisco.
Car is stock 91, with 31,500 miles and plenty of deferred maintenance...
Thanks for any help.

p.s. congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the site. Lots of great people nationwide and interesting information. Use Wiki, do lots of surfing to get up to speed.......

Welcome! Sounds like a nice low mileage car once you get the maintenance taken care of.

If you have no clue as to the status of the timing belt, I suggest you DO NOT drive it until its replaced.

Congrats on the purchase! Agree, despite the low mileage I'd get the timing belt / water pump done. I bought a 91 a few months ago with 52k miles on her - and had the work done prior to delivery. The mechanic said the belt looked remarkably good, but you don't want to take that chance with a 19 year old belt.

Also discovered there was a recall notice back in early 90s that was never done on mine - a cooling tube and water pump, that the Acura dealer did at no charge. They can check that by the VIN #.

Enjoy!! :biggrin: Jay

To all - many thanks to all for the replies/congratulatory messages. TB/WP is definitely one of the first items!

I know I am gonna get killed by this statement but, I read a thread on Prime some time back about this guy that did his TB/WP and showed the new belt next to the old one and wasnt a noticable difference in color, or strength.

Then the WaterPump next to the new one, there was a new Weep hole placement but other than that it was mint. I think the guys on here Love that piece of mind knowing that these items are new.

but if the car has good repair history, I am sure its Ok to drive intill you have time to get it replaced.

I just had mine done but forgot to ask for the old belt back, to examine it. just my 2cents.

It's going to seem like a long way to travel for you, but find a way to take it to Don at Hilltop Auto in Daly City. He and his unassuming shop have all the expertise to properly take care of your NSX at a very fair price.

TB/WP is definitely one of the first items!

Please don't make this one of the first items, make it the first item on your list, above all else. Do it right away. While he is in there doing the TB/WP have him replace the harmonic balancer. Look here for the horror story.

Also, have Don check the coolant hoses for you. There are 22 of them and if one breaks you will be in a world of hurt. Ask me how I know.

Congrats. Now join us for some drives.

Too live in Marin and my car has been well serviced by Don Lam at Hilltop. Highly recommended.

I had Don do my timing belt and all the water hoses at 36K because my car has seen plenty of track time... it really didn't need them at all... couldn't tell the new belt or hoses from the old -- but it made me feel better.

If you do the timing belt or not, do add a crankshaft pulley shield:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/
all NSXs should have one.

Last edited:
Back