• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just experienced my first earthquake

Like the title said, just experienced my first earthquake. The first thing I checked was to make sure nothing fell onto my NSX & Supra in the garage.
Hope there is no damage to anyone in the San Jose area.

Growing up in Asia I get earthquakes all the time, while in 20 story buildings....they last twice as long and sway twice as hard. I thought a few times the building was going to snap in half. But yeah, hope no NSX casualties.

Haha, I guess you missed the great one oct 27, 1989 :). Anyway, my first thing was making sure my wife and kid are safe under the table, then check the garage 5 minutes later.

It was 5.3 on meter scale and the epic center is at Alum rock area.
Hope, things are okay for the local.

I was 1.8 miles from the epicenter during the Loma Prieta quake. This time, I was a little farther out but Mt. Hamilton is still pretty close to Alum Rock, so I took a pretty good hit. Lost some crystal, have some cracked marble tiles, and an exploding bottle of Chalula hot sauce - what a mess. Oh well, could have been worse. Besides, the cars, bikes, and stereo gear came through OK, so I guess I shouldn't complain...

BTW, they're saying 5.6 now. Felt worse to me on my butt richter scale (a play on butt dyno, in case you don't get the reference!).

Haha, I guess you missed the great one oct 27, 1989 :). Anyway, my first thing was making sure my wife and kid are safe under the table, then check the garage 5 minutes later.

It was 5.3 on meter scale and the epic center is at Alum rock area.
Hope, things are okay for the local.

i felt it out here in merced, ca. Center of the state basically. I swore I was having muscle spasms in my leg initially during the tremors. Then the big hit, that felt..... bizarre, it was one big push like being shoved in a boat. Only........WEIRD REAL WEIRD. I was sitting in chemistry lab tonight.

Common sense said, climb under the counter. Stupidity said.... lets see what happens next. I followed stupidity, nothing happened next.

Nothing like a moderate quake to get the senses fired up and the blood flowing!

I'm one of the few born and raised in the Santa Clara Valley. This one wasn't a bad one but after 4 to 5 seconds you started to wonder if it was going to get worse. The one in Oct of 89' started in a similar fashion but kept going and going and became quite violent.

Glad everyone is safe. One disaster in the state for the year is quite enough.

Let's hope this one isn't a precursor to a bigger one.

I guess this is as good a time as any to remind all to have your emergency preparedness kit handy and remind the family who to contact in case of seperation.

I work for one of the major cell companies and we experienced conjestion on our network for quite some time after tonights episode.
I hate to think if it would have been worse.

Nothing like a moderate quake to get the senses fired up and the blood flowing!

I'm one of the few born and raised in the Santa Clara Valley. This one wasn't a bad one but after 4 to 5 seconds you started to wonder if it was going to get worse. The one in Oct of 89' started in a similar fashion but kept going and going and became quite violent.

Glad everyone is safe. One disaster in the state for the year is quite enough.

Let's hope this one isn't a precursor to a bigger one.

I guess this is as good a time as any to remind all to have your emergency preparedness kit handy and remind the family who to contact in case of seperation.

I work for one of the major cell companies and we experienced conjestion on our network for quite some time after tonights episode.
I hate to think if it would have been worse.

Here! Here! , my frist one was in 1955....bill :rolleyes:

I didn't feel a thing this time around...oh wait...I live half way to Reno now. :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue:

5.3 earthquake really?? And I didn't feel it? Something's wrong with me. I live in Antioch though, maybe I was too far or something. Seriously, I didn't know there was an earthquake. yikes.

niM

The actual main location that it happened at was Calaveras in Milpitas area. I live with in 1/2 mile from this area and the first thing i did was shut off the stove since i was cooking and grabbed all the glass items and put them on the floor on the carpet so they wouldnt shatter and then grabbed a hold of the main lcd tv that was hung up :)

i had my medicine cabinet stuff fall out as well as a few vases/plants then ran downstairs to check the garage to see if the nsx was okay, luckily it was.

hope everyone else was okay!

Was in Japan at the time, wondering if my house was still standing. Luckily, no major issues when I got home. :)

Back